Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

REQ: Benefits of GSM over CDMA

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    PMFJI, but the cdmaONE (2G CDMA) is actually based on US military technology from WWII, IIRC......

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    LOL...That's a good one Matt in this heated debate! But referring to Mike's comment, I personally find that the only advantage to a SIM card is that you can switch your phone anytime and take the phonebook with you. However, that brings up a security hole that I feel uncomfortable with: anyone can steal your SIM card, hack into it (as they do with DirecTV), make a duplicate, and stick it in another phone and start charging your account. I personally don't mind calling the phone company to switch phones and saving my phonebook in the computer and transfer it to another phone via cable or infrared since I am not switching phones everyday.

About Zeeker's comment, you can't conclude that one technology has better sound than the other just because you tried one phone that you didn't like the sound. LG's are not as good as they look. Try a good CDMA phone and you'll see the difference. Motorolas have far better sound quality than most phones regardless of the network they use. I am sure that with a good GSM phone the sound quality rivals landline but try a Samsung phone using Sprint's CDMA network and I assure you won't be able to tell the difference between that and landline. Or better yet, try the V60c for CDMA and the V60g for GSM and call a landline phone and talk to the same person and tell me if you can hear a difference. As I said before, I like GSM but we also have to weight the differences fairly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

Matt,

And they're all based on RADIO waves which were discovered in the 19th century and on the telephone and the telegraph.... ad nauseum.

Exactly what part of CDMA exclusively is WWII technology? It is admittedly based on MILITARY technology -- but almost everything in the hi-tech world today is based on military technology. The entire INTERNET is military technology (ARPANET, MILNET, ....).

4. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Spread spectrum technology, which is what CDMA is based on, was used by the military back then. But that was a very primitive version that although based on the same principle, doesn't work nearly as it works today. What's important to highlight here is the potential for development and the flexibility spread spectrum technologies have over time division or frequency division technologies. Spread spectrum technology spreads the bits of your digital voice over a wide chunk of spectrum. Refer to this page for more info:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/cell-phone7.htm

5. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sorry, I should have put in a [​IMG] or a [​IMG]

I was just trying to poke a bit of fun - I'm not getting into this never ending debate.

As bobolito said, it's the spread spectrum technology.

Here is a link for fun!
    And
    here is another. Just for educational purposes. I'm not jumping into this battle!! [​IMG]

6. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    bobolito - another benefit to the SIM (related to your comments) is the ability to use multiple phones for multiple needs, or to "borrow" somone else's GSM phone (if, for example yours is dead and your price plan gives you free minutes your friend doesn't have) or the ability to have, maybe, a slim 8290 for everyday use, and maybe a larger phone with a nice big screen for internet, etc. Just not being limited to one phone. Plus, if you keep you old ones in storage (I still have my 5190). If I break my 8290 I am plug-n-play with my 5190, so I can take my time figuring out how to replace my 8290....

7. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    That's right...

8. aiwapro

aiwapro Silver Senior Member

SIM cards can be locked by the user so that when it is put into another phone, a code has to be entered. Without that code then the person whith the SIM can't charge up the account, they can't do anything. If the code is entered wrong to many times, the SIM destroys itself, it clears everything.
    I think that's a good security feature.

9. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    That is some good information Chris.

Jack

10. IdiOTeQnoLogY

IdiOTeQnoLogY Bronze Senior Member

thanks for posting that article on cdma2000 bobolito.........i read that earlier and thought of it as i read the thread......and there it was posted by you. that is a big kicker for cdma carriers as they are going to be at fast 3g speeds while GSM carriers are going broke from buying the spectrum alone for wcdma. all the international carriers are in financial trouble as that article pointed out....meanwhile in korea and japan the two cdma carriers are laughing all the way to the bank while providing next gen services [​IMG]

and as far as sim cards go........i agree, they are wonderful and i wish i had one......BUT it is not an advantage of GSM as a technology. for example nextel phones have SIM cards and they use iDen technology. and in fact already a similar thing is out for cdma and hopefully will become available soon.......they are called UIM cards i think.

in my opinion the advantages for GSM are international roaming and also that GSM equipment is cheaper being that it is1. an older and cheaper technology and 2. that it is much more mass produced thus making it cheaper as well.

11. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Also, GSM phones are cuter than CDMA phones. I realize it has nothing to do with the technology but just my two cents.

12. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Yeah, [​IMG]. CDMA needs some 3300 and 8200 series (tri-mode) type phones. I don't like flips, I like small little phones (8265=heaven!).

13. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    YEs they are better looking

and can changes phones with GSM quicker then you can change flaceplates (because of sim technology)

Jack

14. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    How do you like the V60g airbus? It's flip, its GSM and its small....

15. NokiaKrazy

NokiaKrazy 2010. I'm still around

My Phone:
    Blackberry
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I just barely got a digital phone. For the last 8 years, I have used analog service. I thought analog was ok until digital was turned on in my area just a week ago. And already the debate over CDMA, GSM and whatever else has got my head spinning. I am using CDMA and will most likely use that until it goes out of style like my analog.

16. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    WOW!!!!

Where do you live that they JUST turned on digital service

Jack

17. RBOCMAN

RBOCMAN Junior Member

Just sold my old 5190 and feeling a deep loss now. They were such good phones....

18. IdiOTeQnoLogY

there are quite a few places where digital isnt around yet. even in NJ in places just over 30 minutes away from New York City in the most densely populated metropolitan area in the country.

19. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Idioteqnology, can you give me an example of a place where service in NJ is Analog only?

20. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Well bobolito, I don't like the v60's too much. A little too expensive for what you get. Doesn't matter if it's the tdma gsm or cdma version. I just don't care for flip phones, I like the small nokia's. Sure they might not have as big as a screen, but it just works better for me.

21. IdiOTeQnoLogY

i know parts of west milford have no digital though they will soon. same with down past dover. up near vernon away from the action park etc.

22. MilesD

MilesD New Member

This is going back a bit in this thread, I realize, but claims like this keep catching my eye. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that even though GSM is the standard throughout Europe, there is no "seemless" internaional roaming for U.S. GSM customers. In Europe, they use the 900MHz and 1800MHz frequency bands while over here GSMers use the 1900MHz band. Right? So how are 1900MHz phones going to "seemlessly" work in a 900/1800MHz setting? It won't. You'd need a whole 'nother phone (or a really expensive "international phone" that has 900/1800MHz and 1900MHz.

Of course, I could be wrong.

One other thing, and it may be a bit uppity of me (a newbie) to say (of an old pro), but I find a lot of what Aiwapro posts suspect. I've been lurking around, reading a ton of posts, and I really like this site; I think it's incredibly helpful and populated by considerate, thoughtful people. Aiwapro often comes off the same way. But he/she is *absolutely* uncritical of VoiceStream. Moreover, he/she is incredibly defensive of any derogatory remark -- no matter how slight -- made about VS. What's up? Is his/her 401(k) completely wrapped up in that carrier?

I don't mean to flame here. I mean take it with a grain of salt: it's a neophyte talking about a senior member. But I think that other people here who are totally associated with one carrier (like, say, Larry with Sprint) are able to cast more of a critical/analytical eye on their brand, while Aiwapro is much more kneejerk. And obviously, it has gotten under my skin.

23. RBOCMAN

RBOCMAN Junior Member

I agree wholeheartedly with your observation. Objectivity is some that is always needed .

But you must not confuse service loyalty and vested loyalty . Some people here genuinely like their wireless services and try to explain their positives over to the newbies. I take myself for example, I personally have had great time with Voicestream despite my relationship with Cingular/BLS Mobility. I try to make genuine unbiased observations of both providers and point out misconceptions in area I am familiar with.

All in all, the anonymous horror stories and posts about how carriers suck is usually the vocal few who have nothing better to do.

24. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    MilesD,

Welcome!

Yes, you are correct, you cannot roam to Europe using a 1900 MHZ phone. However, VS sells a number of phones that are triband and will work here and in Europe. Currently, they are the Motorola V60g, the SonyEriccson T68m, and the Motorola P280. There are also a couple new triband Nokias, 6310i and 7210 that have hit the market in Europe - you can buy one there and get it shipped here. We all hope VS/T-m will sell them soon.

Yes, they cost more, but they are not super expensive for those who need that functionality and features.

25. bobolito

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    MilesD, I am sure you've noticed you are not the first, and certainly not the last, to make such observations about some of our fellow posters. Keep up the objectivity and welcome to the forum.

Idioteqnology, I need to take a closer look to those areas. I have been around them and I have gotten digital coverage from AT&T, but I am planning a visit to Moutain Creek soon so I take that opportunity to see how it is over there.

26. MTS2000

MTS2000 Junior Member

Welcome to the site.

As far as aiwapro, I choose to ignore about 90 percent of his rhetoric, I realize that he either derives some income from the carrier or is infatuated with them for some reason. The only thing that pisses me off is he (and others too) spew a plethora of nonsense and purely prove they know nothing about wireless, RF theory, or real world problems and they get on here and start throwing a blanket sales pitch to any newcomer who is genuinely seeking advice from others on what service/phone is best for there particular needs.

For example, to recommend a carrier like Voicestream/T-mobile to someone who desires contiguous coverage throughout the nation is not only an indicator that someone is ignorant, it is foolish and will only hurt Voicestream as the new customer will quickly learn that the coverage ends where the big city streets do. But you see certain people on here pitching it all the time.

Another thing: bashing AMPS. Got news for you GSM fans...GSM is almost as old as AMPS. Get over it. So what...who cares. I had some of the best sounding calls on BellSouth Mobility AMPS system (now Cingular) and it worked well. I think it is fair to say that most users could care less about GSM, AMPS, TDMA, IDEN, CDMA, whatever so long as their call goes through uninterrupted and they can use their phone where they work, live and travel. Some wireless carriers are more suited to some than other for a variety of reasons. Sprint, for example, offers a great service to those who are "credit challenged" by offering regular monthly service with a spending limit and a relatively low deposit. They may not have coverage in every single area though, but you have the option of analog roaming if you need to make a call. But Sprint may not be for you if you live in remote areas or some suburbs where their network has not been built out. AMPS (aka analog) is still the largest technology available and in many places it is the ONLY wireless system available. Better that than NOTHING at all. At least you should have it to fall back on if you travel a lot.

The bottom line is: TRY BEFORE YOU BUY. DO NOT TAKE A SALESMAN'S WORD AS GOSPEL WHEN IT COMES TO COVERAGE AREA OR QUALITY OF SERVICE. The best thing in the world to do is either purchase the phone and test it during the trial period, or borrow a phone from a friend and see how it works where you will be using it most. Don't listen to promises of coverage, every salesperson is going to tell you "we have the best service" and every single company has won a "JD power" or similar "award" at some point. Use common sense. Would you buy a car WITHOUT giving it a test drive? If you do, you get what you ask for!

27. aiwapro

Hey you missed the part in my post that said you can roam "seemlessly" - "In other words, all you have to do is use your dual or tri-band GSM phone, and you can travel all around the world and have service and coverage without any problems." It's ok, we all miss things. Welcome to the forum board.

I know I am very defensive about Voicestream (T-Mobile), but what usually set me off are those anonymous posters, like RBOCMAN spoke about. They are always postings untrue stuff, and just plain making up s**t. I come to Voicestream's defense when this happens, because most people on this forum, who are not Voicestream users don't know if the is truth or fact about what the anonymous poster is saying. I just like to set him straight that he/she is lying.

28. Guest

Guest Guest

"Infatuated" Hmmm...I think it could actually be a "fetish." Some people get kinky over some weird things.

29. aiwapro

I know wireless just about inside and out, even though I still have some to learn, like we all do.
    Anyways, I don't recommend Voicestream to everyone. You brought up the subject about recommending them to people who want contiguous nationwide coverage; I recommend them to people that say they travel across the nation and/or in large distances by plane. I don't recommend them if they say they travel across the nation, from caost-to-coast by an automobile (car, etc.). Besides, noone has contigiuous nationwide coverage across the whole U.S., not even Verizon and they have the largest coverage area in the U.S. (digital & analog combined).

I can really care less if you ignore my posts or not, it's just valuable information that you are missing out on. Do what you do and quit complaining, noone cares.

30. IdiOTeQnoLogY

although first and foremost i'd like myself to get a signal without caring what technology i use, i must say i strongly lean towards digital technologies for the reason of security over AMPS.......but I agree MTS AMPS is a very necessary technology in this vast country geographically and is here to stay for another decade or so I think b4 it is phased out.