Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Report from Chicago Nokia Store

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by SteveW, Jul 16, 2006.

1. SteveW

SteveW Battery mgmt is my life

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Part 1. Stopped into the Nokia Store in Chicago on 7-14-2006

General impressions. Store is long and narrow with phones displayed along both side walls and on platforms in the middle of the room. Above the long line of phones is a continuous set of video panels with changing displays. The lighted wall panels above these also change. A good deal of auxiliary equipment is displayed including printers, speakers and computers. I didn't have much time, so I couldn't play with all the displays, but my impression was that they really wanted to show you cool stuff you can do with your phone besides just make calls. Here the phone is marketed as a central part of your gadget-filled lifestyle. ;)

6126 MIA. The 6126 was nowhere to be found and the staff did not know when it's to be released. When I mentioned that rumors had Cingular releasing it as early as next week, one said. "Well if that's true we should have it in a few weeks". All in all, they seemed as noncommittal about release dates as the staff in service provider stores. Although Charlyee predicted this, it surprised me a bit. I thought that Nokia would have control over when it released a given (already announced and marketed) phone and thus would be interested in promoting it with a release date, like a movie or a new version of Windows. :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Part 2

N Series. Next to the absent 6126, I was most interested in the N series and took a few pictures of them. The N80 was on display ($599.99), although they were out of stock. They told me it sells out almost immediately after they get a new shipment. Also on display were the N70 and N71, N90 and N91.

7300 Series. The "fashion" 7300 series was there including the 7370 and the amazingly odd 7380. Now that's thinking out of the box!

Vertu. At the back of the store is a special section for the Vertu line. It’s a separate room, like the room in audio stores for the high-end stuff. I haven't really followed these, but I have to say that the marketing of a separate sub-brand where the basic technology is the same but the materials are different, is a bit mystifying to me. I mean, sure a Ferrari or a Rolls can have fancy leather or wood, but it also has some cool technology that they can include when price is no object - a special engine, more computers and sensors, tunable suspension, seats that remember you, whatever. I just don't think that Nokia will succeed in making a $5,000+ phone into an object of desire if it doesn't do anything that a $500 phone can't do.

Final thoughts. There were a lot of staff around and they seemed pretty knowledgeable. I asked some questions about the capabilities of S60 vs. S40v3 phones, and about the Nokia PC Suite software. I got more helpful answers than I would expect in a Cingular store or (heaven forbid!) Radio Shack or Best Buy. It is unfortunately the case that you have to go to the only flagship store in the country to find staff who can have the kinds of discussions that we have on WA all the time.

Unlike in service provider stores, all the phones I picked up were real and working. The GSM models are unlocked, in general, as expected. They also had a few examples of the carrier branded models, such as the 6103 made for T-Mobile. I didn't ask if these were for sale.

I'll post a link to some pictures in a few minutes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #2 SteveW, Jul 16, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  3. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Here are some pictures I took in the Nokia Store.

Press the Slideshow button just under the Album title "Nokia Store, Chicago, July 2006" and you'll get a cool show.

Enjoy! :)

#3 SteveW, Jul 16, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  4. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Great pictures and report, thank you very much. It looks very different from the other stores around there.

I have to get down there soon, it would be neat so most of their products all in the same place.

Somehow the N80 does not look very appealing in the pictures, how did you find it visually?

PS: Have you a ever considered a career in journalism....:D

5. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Does anyone know where this store is in Chicago (intersection please)?

I will be going to Chicago in early August for six days and if I get a chance, I will stop by there.

EDIT: I found the address. It is 545 North Michigan Avenue. The location is approximately 2 blocks southwest of my hotel. :)

6. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    very nice job here. thanks for sharing.

7. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Thanks for the report & pics. :)

8. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    You're very welcome. Didn't get to play with the N80 as much as I would have liked, but with its metal front case and quality slider components, it looked and felt solid - sort of like my Palm T2. Key action was typical of sliders - semi-independent keys, but still felt like a membrane-type keypad. Not great, but not bad. Overall it looks and feels like what it is - a handheld multimedia computer that happens to be a phone. :D

Nope, its too hard and I hate deadlines. ;)

9. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yes, being in the middle of downtown Chicago, there are lots of nearby hotels. I was staying at the Embassy Suites, also a few blocks away on North Columbus, and my conference was at the Sheraton Towers. The Hyatt and Swissotel are just across the river on E. Wacker Dr. All easy walking distance from our new Mecca :D.

I'm sure you've checked Google Maps - it's all there. Safe travels.

10. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    You're welcome, happy to do it. I asked one of the employees as I walked in if I could take pictures. She said "Of course!", like it was obvious, but I was glad I checked. I did get a couple of strange looks from the other shoppers as I clicked away, but the staff took it in stride. ;)

11. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Thanks Steve, from what I have read the slider does not have a positive snap closure and feels mushy, did you feel the same way about it? How about the WiFi, did you get a chance to connect to the web?

So the store does allow everyone to play with any phone they have? That's great I bet a lot of people (nobody on this board ofcourse) walk in there without any intention of buying anything and come out with an expensive purchase. So what did you get?:D
    Yes I noticed :D

12. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Well, I must say I didn't rigorously test it. I held it, slid it open and pressed the keys a few times. I was actually concentrating on taking the pictures more than testing the phones. :O I didn't have time to do both. I literally had a plane to catch - I had a cab waiting and was on my way to O'Hare!

I think the bottom part of the case is plastic, but it doesn't feel that different from the slider mechanism on my Palm T2, which I have no problem with. I didn't try the WiFi. Maybe Gamer can do that when he goes in. :browani:

Yes, presumably you can also play with the Vertu Signature Gold phone at roughly 17,000 Euros, give or take. :eek: Didn't touch or buy one, myself. I'm still waiting for the humble 6126 for <$150. ;)

Hey! Don't give me hard time! :biggrin: I have enough deadlines at work. This is supposed to be fun :p

13. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Wow, I would be too afraid to touch a 17,000 euro phone. Rumor has it that the humble 6126 might be $149 and also have another $50 off in rebate, on the other hand the rumor has tentative mid August launch date.
    Ah, but look at all the fun you are having and all the attention you are getting from your fellow cellphone addicts. Not mention the first one from WA to have visited our new Mecca....:p

14. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I know. Most store personnel have given up on it already. They were shown it months ago, and it hasn't appeared so they assume it is cancelled. When I tell them that it really is coming, it was just delayed for another round of testing, they just shrug. They obviously don't want it as much as we do!! :lmao:

Yes, my 15 min. of almost-fame :p. You can pray while facing south and I will face west. :rotfl:

15. Gamer03

Gamer03 Technology Aficionado

My Phone:
    Motorola X Pure
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Yes I did Steve. Thanks for the wishes.

My family and I always stay at the Wyndham Chicago which is about a block east of Michigan Avenue at the intersection of North Saint Clair Street and East Ontario Street.

16. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Thanks for the cool slideshow, Steve!!

As a bonifide Nokian, it was cool to see pictures of the phones from my new home planet..:browani:

No offense to my fellow Motorolans out there.;)

17. JFB

JFB Gold Senior Member
    Administrator Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Samsung S20 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Mint Mobile
    Awesome report and pictures --- thanks for posting them!

18. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Thanks for sharing Steve nice pics and great review!, I to am waiting for the 6126 hopefully soon.:)

19. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    You're welcome. I've been waiting for the 6282, the 6125 (neither is likely to appear) and now the 6126 for roughly 6 months. There comes a time when one can wait no longer. I'm starting to like my new LG CU500. Now I'm thinking hmm, maybe it wouldn't be so bad to have both....hmm, maybe I can get a good deal on eBay..... maybe I'm becoming like walkguru and Charlyee... Oh No!! :googlyeye :lmao:

20. josephd

josephd Tomorrow is another day.

My Phone:
    White iPhone 5C 16GB
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Go figure,the 6282 could be doable I like how it is similar in size to the 6230. How is the RF on your LG? I am kind of leery of LG but it did get good reviews on phonescoop. And don't worry Steve I am just as bad or we would not be here....:lmao:

21. walkguru

walkguru Wireless Guru

My Phone:
    iphone 3gs 32black
    Wireless Provider(s):
    cingular,family plan w/4 lines
    boy you are in trouble now,:loony: ha ha ha,:browani:

but like you this lg cu500 is growing on me. the pantech has better rf, tho. can you belive that.:eek:

22. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Steve: Like you I was waiting for the N80 for 6 months, but during that time I started having second thoughts and now that it is available I have changed my mind completely.

As you may have read we are having a Chicago meet and that ofcourse will include a trip to the Nokia Store, maybe by then they will have some info on the 6126, who knows they may even have the N73...hmm I better leave my credit card home.

I am glad you are beginning to like the LG, LG makes excellent CDMA phones but their GSM reputation is not that great. I like the LG phones so if they can improve the GSM ones that will be fantastic.

Sorry to break this to you but you were always like us, just not as vocal and now you are getting there & quite quickly too....:D

23. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The RF on the LG CU500 is a bit unusual, but not bad at all. I am in a 3G area and it tries to stay in 3G mode. Sometimes there will be 1/5 bars, or even no bars, but the 3G icon will still be there and I can make a call. Call quality can be good even with no bars !!? :headscrat 3G penetration inside buildings is also pretty good.

I have mentioned that it is dropping calls more than my old Nokia 6200. But I don't think it has dropped any calls when I was standing still, even if the signal strength was low. It drops calls when I am driving while on the phone (don't even go there ;) ) . Maybe it has to do with 3G handoffs working poorly? Maybe this will improve? I have read some speculation on this issue.

I'll post more on the CU500 in the Cingular or LG forum.

24. SteveW

My Phone:
    T-Mo G2, LG CU500
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sorry I am going to miss this. Sounds like fun. Try not to spend too much....Oh it's only money - go ahead!! :D

When I told my wife I was posting pictures of a phone store for the other gadget freaks on this forum, she really thought I had lost it. ;)