Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Replacing lost Verizon phone?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by JayLevitt, Feb 24, 2004.

1. JayLevitt

JayLevitt New Member

I've been a Verizon customer for about 6 years, and I recently lost the VX4400 I bought with a 2-year contract last July. I wasn't very happy with the phone, due to (a) the lack of voicemail reminder functions and (b) the stupid side button that turns your ringer off when you put the phone in your pocket. I was excited to see the new VX4500 which solves both problems, and I planned to get one someday.

I did have insurance on the VX4400, but I don't want to spend another $50 to get the same phone I already didn't like. Verizon will consider early upgrades, but not until a year after the contract was signed; I obviously can't wait four months for a cell phone. I certainly don't want to spend $300 on a phone.

Does anyone know any way I might be able to replace this phone at "assisted" cost? I'd happily extend my Verizon contract by two years from its current ending date, but that doesn't seem to be an option.

2. Fathead

Fathead In the Industry

Uh, the 4500 silences the ringer if you hit the side keys too.

And there really isn't anyway you can get the discount. Unless someone in customer service is feeling super generous.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. JayLevitt

JayLevitt New Member

No, I think we're talking about something different... on the 4400, holding down the voice-rec button (below the volume keys) will change ringer mode from regular->manner->silent. So if you keep your phone in your pocket, or even a backpack, there's a near-100% chance it will change modes on you. As I understand it, that's not true on the 4500. But if I'm wrong, I'd get an A530.

I think you're talking about the "silence the current ring" feature, which hasn't been a problem for me.

4. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I think Fathead does mean that the 4500 has the same issue, as i also read complaints about that in the LG forum.
    If you're on a two year contract and you're on a plan that's $59.99 or higher, you can do an early upgrade,
    Maybe Jayc or Kranium can confirm this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. millenium

millenium Member

The plan only needs to be 49.99+, but it can really only be upgraded early after one full year after the original signing of the contract/purchase of the phone. The only other thing I can suggest is to try eBay. You should be able to find a 4500 or a530 for half the retail cost if you bought from Verizon.

6. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

The 2-yr Contract is a Bummer; you will have to pay Full PRICE.

7. scohen

scohen Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX-4400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Just a thought... you could attempt to buy a used or new verizon compatible phone like another vx4400 on ebay. Then go to a store or online and switch you account to use that new phone. Maybe this way you could end up with a new 4400 for under 50 bucks. Also sometimes if you just go around to a few of the larger stores and explain that you lost your phone, they may sell you one that someone turned back in for cheap.

8. Fathead

Fathead In the Industry

If you hold the voice dial key you get driving mode, if you hold down the down volume key, you get manner mode. So it will shut the ringer off.

9. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Is it $49.99? ok then $49.99 it is, even better.

10. JayLevitt

JayLevitt New Member

Arrrrgh. Assurion does not have, and is not likely to get, any more VX4400 or VX4400B's. They offered me two "comparable" phones - Audiovox 8600 or T720. Needless to say I declined. Guess I'll have to pay full price.

From what I've read, you're right - the 4500 does have the same "feature" with the side buttons. This forum was littered with complaints on that aspect of the 4400, but not the 4500. I wonder why.

11. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Wow, can't believe they consider the 8600 or t720 a comparable phone.
    Btw, Delta a member here is selling his 4400 if you're interested you can PM him or check out his thread in the marketplace forum, tell him Tony E. said to give you a good deal on it.[​IMG]
    Since the 4500 is fairly new, it will still be a bit expensive even on E-Bay.

12. MeatChicken

MeatChicken Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    I would also suggest Ebay.
    Also, If you will be comming up on 1 year in July, I believe that you will qualify for the 1yr upgrade in May, as I think it is Policy w/VZW to treat 10 & 11 month customers to any 1yr upgrade options. I'm sure someone here can verify that.

If that is the case, you may want to simply get "any" CDMA phone to use for the next 60-90 days. I've seen many older phones, such as 5185i's & 3285i's, selling for as little as $10 delivered on Ebay.
    Once you qualify for the 1yr price, you can order a new phone of your choice....

13. SQFreak

SQFreak Moto's Not So Bad Anymore

My Phone:
    Motorola Q9m
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I find it interesting that people are complaining about the Manner Mode/Silence All button on the VX4400. That's the main reason I chose the 4400 over the Audiovox 8600 or Motorola T730. That one feature, plus the fact that the power on/off tone could be disabled, sold me on the VX4400.

14. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    If you have insurance it will probably be cheaper than getting a phone on eBay. You will get a used phone on eBay and be around $150.
    Verizon's insurance company can give you an equivalent phone so it can be a different phone also like a Samsung or Audiovox. If you lost your phone, you will have to report it to the police to get your claim.

15. JayLevitt

JayLevitt New Member

Oh, the feature is great. The fact that the feature automatically activates every time you put the phone in your pocket, not great. There are ways to avoid that - detect simultaneous button presses, or exceedingly long presses, or plastic button guards. But the LG doesn't have any of that. That's what I hate.

16. scohen

scohen Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX-4400
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I agree, I love the feature, but it took me several weeks to figure out what was going on. I would put the phone in my jeans pocket and then it wouldn't ring. And i would have no clue what the heck happened or how to set it back. Its just silly that an external button can activate something like that so easily.

17. millenium

millenium Member

Actually, no. With an early upgrade during a 2 year contract term, it needs to be one [/i]full[/i] year from the purchase of the original phone. The 10 month upgrade applies if you are on a 1 year contract term. In that case, you are eligible for your normal upgrade after 10 months.

18. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Use the insurance. Sell the 4400b (which you will probably get) on Ebay, then buy something else. That way you are actaully using the insurance you paid for. Take the 150$ or whatever you'll get with the 4400 and get something else (cheap but OK). Then use your credit in a few months for a discount Verizon phone like the 4500, 530 etc.

Btw, the 8600/T730 is a comparable phone. The T730 really isn't too bad, gets better signal than the 4400. You should take one of them and sell it if you decide you don't like it.

19. JayLevitt

JayLevitt New Member

Thanks for the tips, all. Unfortunately, Asurion was offering the T720, which has had numerous quality issues, not the T730. I got the 8600 instead, and will sell it on eBay to help pay for my new 4500. The 8600 seems to get better resale value than the T720, too. And although the 4500 does have the same side-button "feature" as the 4400, it seems to not trigger accidentally for whatever reason - I've heard from a few people that owned both, and had trouble with the VX4400 but not the VX4500.

Oh, and the icing on the cake? As I was walking out of the mall tonight, having just left the Verizon store three minutes before, my new phone rings - and it is a friend of mine letting me know she found my 4400 in her car! I guess I'll just sell that one too, because after seeing the improvements in the 4500, I don't particularly want to return it.

Interestingly, although the Verizon store I went to last week said the 4500 was $319 new, this store - also a Verizon store, not a third-party reseller - sold it to me for $269. Go figure.