Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

regarding battery life of Samsung Omnia

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by zhanghong, Jan 5, 2009.

1. zhanghong

zhanghong New Member

Hi all, I'm excited to join this community, having been checking for some active Verizon user forums, seems this site is a decent one.
    I have been using this guy for about two weeks, I feel it's quite awkward to use a stylus to make calls & to do general navigating, and have a bad feeling that I may lose it someday. Need to keep my finger nail longer as a backup I guess. :rolleyes:
    Anyhow I have some observations and would like to get some suggestions / tips:

1. I found the battery life is really horrible, ie. after I have done web surfing for about a hour or two, the battery meter dropped to one (many times it gave me a warning to hook up with a charger). I complained this problem to Verizon, they sent me a new battery, which didn't make a difference. The very basic idea of having a windows mobile phone is to be able to do some productivity stuff, such as emailing, document editing (impractical with a touch screen though), web surfing or watch Youtube, all of them require a decent battery life. Thus I'd like to get some ideas on how to maximize the battery life. I have done the following:
    turn off wifi​
    turn of bluetooth​
    reset everything to factory default​
    Unfortunately all of these steps didn't seem to make a noticeable difference. Thus I'm running out of ideas.

2. I noticed it uses "Broadband Access over Cellular Line #777" for broadband access (web surfing, etc), could this be a battery hog? I think turning on wifi will put a dent on battery life, but I have no idea if "Cellular line" is a bigger hog or not.

3. Does my phone work with VZAccess Manager? It sounds like a cool idea to have a "wireless modem" with me everywhere, however I simply couldn't make VZAccess Manager to recognize my phone, either through USB (Windows gave a warning that it couldn't find a device driver) or Bluetooth (VZAccess Manager couldn't see it while I'm able to sync my phone with Windows Mobile Device Center without any problem).

thanks ahead and have a good day!

Hong

2. discodaze

discodaze New Member

I was having difficulty with the battery life and called Verizon to learn a simple fix -- despite what it says in the manual, it turns out that hitting the "X" on the Opera browser doesn't always close and disconnect it , sometimes it only minimizes it!! So I was unknowingly connected to the web ALL DAY in the background. If you are using the internet, you may need to go to the menu in the lower right corner of the opera screen and hit "EXIT" and then say "YES" to "Do you want to exit Opera?".

My battery lasts and lasts now :)

3. Stupiud

Stupiud Yea, I can hear you now!

My Phone:
    D2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Good tip. i was gonna suggest that you make sure you close all your programs.

4. zhanghong

zhanghong New Member

I think I have tried that approach, I acutally frequently fired up the "Task Manager" then killed all those processes. Guess I'll have to call Verizon to find out some other ways....

Have a good weekend!

Hong

5. Batteries4Less

Batteries4Less New Member

Always be sure to "condition" your new battery as well. Regardless of initial charge, a new battery should always be conditioned before using. Charge your battery overnight (8-12) hours for the first 3-5 cycles.