Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Refusal of Service in Conn., not in Mass

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by abroadwithaview, Apr 30, 2006.

1. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    As far as I know the entire route is 100% covered by Cingular as they have continuous licenses along all of CT and the relevant areas of NY state. So you would have to be 100% on Cingular during your route.

I am not sure why his phone did not stay on T-Mobile once he drove south from Litchfield Co. T-mobile has coverage in all the relevant areas until you get to JFK.

It's definitely a problem in the serving carrier roaming tables, in this case Cingular, and it must be at the LAC level. All those areas have the same Cingular MNC 310-410, so I don't think it is a problem at Orange UK.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. abroadwithaview

abroadwithaview New Member

My Phone:
    Treo 650
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Orange (UK); Cingular (USA; SFR (France)
    Well, I have emailed stan.sigman@cingular.com and have had some reaction! I also sent a cc to customer services at Orange and had two replies, one rather amusing. First I'll share with you my email to cingular:

Hello,

A moderator on the forum at wirelessadvisor.com has suggested that I write to you about a recent problem I had when visiting the State of Connecticut. I live in the UK and have a Treo 650 on the Orange network. When visiting Canaan, Connecticut, which is well-served by the Cingular network I was unable to connect to the Cingular network with my UK Treo 650. I was, however, able to connect with a US cell phone and my brother was able to connect with his US Treo 650. My sister was also able to connect with her US cell phone.

When I travelled a few miles (4 miles) across the state border in Massachusetts, however, I was able to connect to the Cingular service. When I travelled around Connecticut to the Hartford area and to Danbury, I was able to connect to T-Mobile, but at no time was I able to connect to Cingular. However, Canaan is where I was staying and that part of the State has no T-Mobile network service. En route to JFK airport I was able once again to connect to Cingular's service, as well as T-Mobile.

It is my understanding from the Orange UK website that I should be able to connect to Cingular's network. From my contacts at the forum at wirelessadvisor.com there was consensus that the problem was probably due to recent changes/takeovers in network service in that part of Connecticut.

While I was in Connecticut I tried to find out from Orange in the UK what the problem was. They were not particularly helpful and insisted that the phone should just work and there wasn't anything they could do from their end. When I contacted people in Torrington, Connecticut they contacted Cingular's international service who told them that they would need to have a formal investigation instigated by Orange in the UK! I had spoken with Cingular's international service a few days earlier and had been given the same story -- so at least they were consistent.

Please let me assure you, that I am no more than a bit frustrated -- it was not absolutely vital that I should be able to connect on this trip. But I would really like to know what the problem is and if it will be/can be rectified. I will be returning to Canaan again later in the year and it would be great if this problem were sorted out by then.

Thank you for you attention. I look forward to hearing from you.

Very best regards,

I have just received a phone call from Cingular Wireless who have informed me that they are looking into the matter in Canaan to try and find out what the problem is! Apparently he is the 'Roaming Manager'. He also promised to call me when they find out.

In order to keep this post from being too long, I'll submit Part II with the email replies I received from Orange. The second is good for a laugh! :D

3. abroadwithaview

abroadwithaview New Member

My Phone:
    Treo 650
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Orange (UK); Cingular (USA; SFR (France)
    Yesterday I received this email from Orange -- followed by my reply:

Thank you for your mail.

I am sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing with using your
    phone abroad.

I can advise that we have a roaming agreement with the Cingular network in the Connecticut area which includes Canaan but unfortunately coverage is very limited.

I regret that Orange cannot guarantee the network performance of foreign networks.

If you continue to experience problems on future visits please call Customer Services whilst you are there, to enable our Technical Department to investigate
    the matter further for you.

I trust this information is of assistance.

Kind regards

Sharron
    Orange Customer Services

My Reply:

Dear Sharron,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I do understand that Orange cannot
    guarantee service. My main concern here is that I did call Orange from
    Canaan -- and at quite a cost -- only to be told, on two occasions, that the
    phone should work and if it didn't it was nothing to with Orange and there
    was nothing they could or would do about it! This was not helpful at the
    time. What would have been at least re-assuring would have been if I had
    been told that Orange would have looked into the matter. I realized that it
    might not be possible to solve the problem, which I did explain on both
    occasions.

With some persistence I my part, I have ascertained that the situation in
    Connecticut is complicated due to Cingular taking over from other networks.
    It would appear that they are have not got their databases in sync with the
    network in other states and I am quite sure that this problem will be
    solved.

The wireless forum which I joined while in the states was extremely
    sympathetic and it should please you and other networks in the UK that
    several people remarked on how good the service was for them when they
    visited the UK and how embarrassing it was for them that I should be
    experiencing such difficulties!

Again, I appreciate your response.

Very best regards,

Reply from Orange:

Dear Katherine

Thank you for your mail.

I am sorry that you did not receive a very helpful response when calling Orange from Canada.

I can confirm that we have no reports of any problems in Canada and would advise that you manually try and select one of the networks, that Orange have an agreement with.

Both the networks are tri band (1900), so if your phone does not automatically switch to the 1900 band, please select that and then try and connect to either
    Microcell or Rogers Wireless

If you are still experiencing problems, please email us again with a contact telephone number and convenient time we can call you to try and assist.

Kind regards

Vicki
    Orange Customer Services

I have replied -- and politely, too -- but really ... and at least I have it in writing!!

:wink: :rolleyes:

4. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility

Curious that Vicki moved you from Canaan to Canada.

COtech

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only

a broadwithaview,

Orange must have assumed that your fine British English was corrupted by the Yanks over here and you simply forgot how to spell!

Good thing you didn't say you had problems in 'New' England :) I can only imagine what the response would have been.

I hope they get it resolved before your next visit. Good luck, and all of WA thanks you for the nice compliments too.