Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Reformat/Delete BlackBerry OS

Discussion in 'Blackberry Phones' started by RadioRaiders, Feb 19, 2010.

1. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    I have a Verizon-branded BlackBerry Tour that I am only using for GSM/UMTS (ie: it will most likely never be used with Verizon). Verizon blocks the GPS from being used with unsigned 3rd party apps, so it can work with some apps, but not others.

To remove this restriction completely, I'd like to completely erase all Verizon-related software on the phone. I did try downloading OS software from other carriers (US Cellular, SaskTel, Appalacian Wireless) and installed it on my phone via the RIM Desktop Manager, but still the GPS is locked, and still all the Verizon branding is there, including the "Welcome to Verizon" message (!!).

...what do I need to do to completely wipe out everything, and do a fresh install of (for example) a US Cellular OS?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Eileen89

Eileen89 Bronze Senior Member

First, there is no legal software out there that will allow you to change the initial boot up flash screen that you see when you power on your Blackberry..... However you can download another carriers OS to device. You should start by wiping the BB clean and setting it up again. Go to Options, Security Options, General Settings, Menu, select "Wipe Handheld", hit Continue, type the word "Blackberry". Now that all of the data on the device has been erased, you can start to load another carriers OS by deleting the Vendor.xml file. This file is located at; C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\ResearchInMotion\AppLoader\VENDOR.XML. First you will install the OS version that you plan on using, but don't run the BB Desktop. Then you will delete or rename the VENDOR.XML. Next, run the desktop manager to install.

I haven't done this myself, so you may need to do further research before attempting this.

BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.297 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102