Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Recommend me a phone.

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices for All Other Operating Systems' started by jwire16, Oct 5, 2016.

1. jwire16

jwire16 New Member

Hello guys,

I am looking for a non-smart phone. Meaning, one that doesn't run on Android or iOS. So, a feature phone.

I specifically would like one with "rugged" features. Like dust and water resistance. I have looked and found a lot of these. Such as the Plum Ram models. http://www.plum-mobile.com/

But the one problem I have found to be prevalent in many of these types of phones is that, even those advertised to, don't pick up 4G networks reliably. I am basing this off customer reviews I have read.

So, does anyone know of a non-smart or feature phone, that is inexpensive ($100 or lower range), is rugged, and that works well with 4G networks?

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thank you,

Joseph Mosser

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hi Joseph and welcome to Wireless Advisor. You didn't mention whether you'll be homing this on GSM (AT&T or T-Mobile) or on CDMA (Verizon or Sprint). I realize that true 4G is based on LTE, but from what I've read, the way those two major technologies implemented LTE makes them still not totally compatible. Most of us here do indeed use smart phones and I personally haven't used a feature phone for over 6 years. I did a search on Amazon for "feature phone" and here are the results:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=feature+phone

I also searched for "feature phone LTE" and the only response was smartphones. Then I tried "feature phone rugged" and only the 1st one met your criteria:
    https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...+phone+rugged&rh=i:aps,k:feature+phone+rugged

3. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I've looked at http://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3 and once you filter out touchscreen (a reasonably good approximation of a feature phone) there isn't a single phone listed that has LTE.

4. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Actually that makes sense. LTE communications really aren't needed by simple phones. They typically are used only for voice calls and some texting.

Additionally I may have mis-spoke. LTE is LTE is LTE. The reason GSM and CDMA still exist is backwards compatability. Obviously, AT&T and T-Mobile will include GSM for use on their networks but not include CDMA. Visa Verse for Verizon. I may still not have this 100% correct. There are others here with better knowledge of the science and technology. So in the case of the jwire16, he'll need to consider which network he will be using before buying a phone.

#4 KevinJames, Oct 6, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  5. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy
    Junior Member Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
  6. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    AT&T is said to be shutting down it's GSM network by the end of the year. I would make doubly sure the phone supports AT&T 3G bands (850/1900) before buying one.

7. jwire16

jwire16 New Member

Hey guys, sorry for the delay getting back to you.

I did some more research and your are correct that 4G isn't used in non-smart phones and LTE because it is about data transfer.

And I was a little vague, I apologize. What I meant was this: I am looking for a phone that is "non-smart," if you will. I am looking for something basic that is inexpensive, in case I have to replace it often, but has at least these functions: operates on GSM (sorry I did not specify that), so SIM cards; can do email and text messaging; is fairly tough, although if it is inexpensive, I can skimp on that; and has decently reliable reception (based off user reviews). I am located in middle MN, near the ND border, so that is primarily where it will be used.

Thanks guys, sorry I didn't include enough info the first time!

P.s I don't need a phone that has a lot of internet and such services. I won't be using it for that or to play games either. If I want any of those, I will get a tablet dedicated for that use. I want a good mobile phone communications device, in short.