Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

reception goes down when phone in pocket?

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by cambrian, Mar 2, 2004.

1. cambrian

cambrian New Member

Hi, I have a Nokia 6200 using cingular gsm here in California. This phone is supposed to have great reception.

But I noticed that when I put my phone in my pocket and take it out a few seconds later, the reception goes down by 3-4 bars! This is not some random fluctuations because I have repeatedly tested this many times and observed the reception when it's out of my pocket and it doesn't go down. So it's definitely because it was in my pocket.

Is the cell phone's reception supposed to be that weak? Just a layer of clothing will block the signal? Is this of cell phones in general or just mine?

I never noticed this when I had my verizon T720 (which is a crappy phone by the way).

Thanks.

2. ShoresGuy

ShoresGuy Euer WA Experte in Europa

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    E-Plus (BASE 12 month flatrate)/Vodafone Germany
    This is probably connected to the fact that almost all Nokias have internal antennas so by placing a barrier between the antenna and the cell tower contributes to signal degradation. If it was a phone with an external antenna then it would probably have an easier time maintaining a stable signal. When I use my Nokias, I try to wear them on my belt and this prevents signal loss.

I don't know if this helps but it's the only viable explanation that I can think of.

Cheers

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I have noticed this with my Nokia 6800, but i am still able to receive calls and text messages, I was going to get a belt holder for my phone but am wondering if the same thing will happen too if i get the correct holder for the 6800 since it is a full leather case. But like i said i still get calls so i don't always go by the signal bar as an indicator of true coverage and signal strength, only when the logo goes away do i know there is no signal.

4. @TheRealDanny

@TheRealDanny ALL IN

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile USA
    I've always wondered about this too. A signal can penetrate a thick wall but sometimes has a hard time going through your pocket... Does anyone know if it has something to do with our human body being made up of mostly liquid that degredates the signal when we place our phone inside our pocket? How efficiently can a signal go through water?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ShoresGuy

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    You're right, YourDaddy, it reminds me of how weak electric conductivity is when electricity tries to travel through water. It gets very slow and even dies completely. It might be the same with a cell phone signal trying to penetrate a pocket or the human body.

6. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    That is a very interesting thought, I always thought the body was a better conductor due to the water and mineral content in us. I have noticed if i put my fingers behind the phone where the antenna is the signal can go either way. And they tell you not to put your hand in the area of the Antenna. Good point Shoresguy & Yourdaddy

7. ShoresGuy

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Well my "scientific hypothesis" was based on my falling back on high school and middle school science lessons [​IMG]. That was a long time ago [​IMG].

8. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I hear you on it being a long time ago, i can't remember that long ago. [​IMG]

9. tattoounknown28

My Phone:
    nokia 3589i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    verizon
    I have the nokia 3589i and it has both the internal and external atennna and it picks up perfect even when im in class and i never use my external atenna unless im in like k mart or walmart.

10. ShoresGuy

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Lol well my Nokia N-Gage and the Moto V525 both perform well, the V525 rarely gets less than 3 bars (out of 5) unless I'm on the Tube here in London where no one ever gets any reception on the deep line sections (Piccadilly Line, Jubilee Line, Central Line, Northern Line and Victoria Line). The N-Gage with its internal antenna does quite all right [​IMG].

11. rockon83

rockon83 Junior Member

put the phone in your pocket with the antenna side (back side) facing out, and the front side facing your leg. you shouldnt have any issues

12. Fire14

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I have tried it both ways and i see the same results, even with a shirt pocket. It's wierd