Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Ready, Set...iPhone Competitor?

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by cade2000, May 7, 2008.

1. cade2000

cade2000 New Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Pearl 8130
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Sprint is coming out with it's own iPhone competitor, the Samsung Instinct. It's supposed to have almost everything the iPhone has (other than Wifi, they're relying on it's EVDO network and unlimited plan to satisfy that), and then some, like GPS, Picture messaging, and a few other things. As far as Apple coming out with a CDMA iPhone, it's in the works, I found a website when I googled it and found them experimenting in other countries like Italy, though the CDMA version is supposed to work out a few more kinks but also be a few millimeters fatter. I'm not sure what kind of software platform the Instinct will have, but I hope it's better than Windows Mobile, I swear it freezes way too much, that's why I had to replace my HTC Touch with my Blackberry Pearl 8130.

I for one am psyched about this new phone, supposed to feature everything the iPhone has minus the wifi, and less included storage space. Here's a link on it, and there are a couple videos on youtube that shows it. I have a Pearl now....but I'm pretty sure I'll switch to this new phone.....iPhone killer? No way....but a decent competitor for our beloved CDMA network? I think so. Check it out

http://gizmodo.com/374454/sprints-samsung-instinct-at-last-a-decent-iphone-competitor

#1 cade2000, May 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2008
  2. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Re: Apple iPhone on Sprint...Samsung Instinct

I hope the fact that this is a Samsung doesn't ruin the phone.

I'm not quite sure where you read about a CDMA iPhone because from everything I Google'd, anything on the subject was speculation. There's also the issue of AT&T's 5 year arrangement with Apple, which protects against a CDMA version coming to the US until 2012.

Also, if there was a CDMA phone being tested, I don't know how it could be tested in Italy considering there isn't a CDMA network anywhere in Europe for them to test it on. Italy is strictly GSM. I wouldn't count on a CDMA iPhone being available here any time in the near future.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Re: Apple iPhone on Sprint...Samsung Instinct

and by 2012 CDMA will be moving to LTE or WiMax anyway so what's the point?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. cade2000

cade2000 New Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Pearl 8130
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Your right, I didn't really think about that, I hope the Samsung name doesn't ruin it too much either. Guess we'll find out when the phone comes out, I'm a little anxious to see it in person.

5. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    This wont even come close to the iphone sorry.

6. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    And it being a Samsung doesn't help.

1 person likes this.
  7. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    LOL that to.

8. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    keep in mind that its the cheap Samsungs that have been known to not work........the higher end Samsungs do tend to work really well

Sprint | now is good

i honestly think that this will be competition and it will help Sprint to keep its customers instead of having them leave for Verizon to get the Voyager or to AT&T to get the Vu or the iPhone

9. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I am sorry I can be shown all of the hooplah and what not but still under the fancy dancy casing it is a samsung. CDMA just does not have good samsung phones. I also do not think this will be the key to hold sprint customers to go somewhere else. If anything is it the LG Rumor keeping people.

Also that video I think can be looked at as very biased and one sided. If ATT made something similar they would showcase something being better as well. When carriers do this it really makes me think they are in desperation.

10. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well what can the iPhone do that the Instinct cant

11. silverado

silverado Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX9900
    I have the enV and even though it is now considered old I prefer the look to the Rumor. Verizon just released the Samsung Glyde which is like the Instinct but has the slide out keyboard like the Rumor. That is a hot phone and $100 less than the Voyager I think.

Anyway, if I stay with Verizon I can upgrade in two months, if I want out of my contract I have to wait 6 months. If I can get Instinct on SERO in Nov I may hold out and jump to Sprint during Turkey season......

12. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Well I dont want to get into every pro an con but I am saying on the big scheme of things right now nothing numbers wise and popularity can touch the iphone. please dont think i am trying to put anything down jusy trying to put it like i think it is. Both phones for the most part can do what the other do. Just want to expess what I think thanks.

1 person likes this.
  13. silverado

silverado Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX9900

I have to say I think a lot of non-Ipod mp3 players have a lot more features for less money and overall are great products. Such as first to implement video, fm radio, changeable battery, memory card..... Now Ipod might have started integrating some of the se but then who is following who...lol

Bottom line I-Phone was the first of the hybrid PDA style non PDA slick phone, now we have Voyager and Samsung is getting in with the Glyde and the Instinct. Comparing them all side by side will have plus and minuses for all. And if you can get SERO on Instinct than you have a fantastic rate plan so even if the competitors have a little more on features I think the fact that u could be saving around $30 a month on SERO makes it well worth the sacrifice..

14. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Function as a high-capacity MP3 player, pinch-zoom, 16 million color display, OS-X operating system, Wi-Fi, High quality video playback, superior UI, just to name a few.

The bottom line is, there's nothing like the iPhone. The Instinct will be one of the better iPhone competitors, though by the time the 3G Version 2 iPhone comes out, there probably will be NO comparison to the iPhone.

The iPhone caused the birth of the Instinct, not the other way around. It took Samsung a year to come up with something close to it.

All that matters is that Sprint has a really good phone on it's hands, provided Samsung doesn't live up to their questionable reputation.

I am one of many (Ryan included) who've had unpleasant Samsung experiences, hence the comments in earlier posts.

15. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    totally understood and know animosity towards you....purely constructive.......but i can see what you mean where one device can help a certain crowd better than the other

16. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Nothing against the Instinct UI, but having played around with the iPhone UI, there truly is nothing like it on the market. I have never seen an easier, intuitive, and eye-catching UI platform that this before. It would be nice if Apple could make some form of it available for regular phones (wishful thinking, I know).

I wonder if Android will be as nice as the Apple UI? If it is, then we're in for quite a treat.:D

17. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    from the previews that we've seen of the prototypes i think that the UI looks similar to the iPhone but i think that it looks vaguely like the new Blackberry Bold's too

18. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Android has it's work cut out for it. The OS-X UI on the iPhone is a tough one to beat (or compare to, for that matter). Hopefully Android will continue to raise the UI bar Apple started.

19. Steven R

Steven R New Member

I don't think there is a real compeitor against iPhone, they simply are in demand at this moment.

But its only matter of time until it changes. ;)

20. Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    Probably not. I'm hoping it does... I plan on snatching one up whenever it comes out.

*sigh* Why do I waste so much time/money on these contraptions? Oh well, everyone has their respective vices :D

1 person likes this.
  21. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I think most of us have this vice

22. M in LA

My Phone:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    I know I do!!! If there was a 12-step program for phoneaholics, I'd probably be in it (kicking and screaming, though...;)).

23. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    i think they're "in demand" because its becoming a popularity thing in some crowds as well as a phone venture.....lets just face that Apple is a designer brand when it comes to technology......sure they're good but there is definitely a label involved when someone purchases an iPod

24. Steven R

Steven R New Member

Yeah I guess your right.

I'm a big Apple Nerdy Fan. :biggrin:

25. treotosh

treotosh Junior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 750
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular/At&t
    Thank you mobile Mike, you saved me some tpying:D Off topic but i have hear the second gen iphone is going to be thicker than the first gen. Did you ever hear of that?

26. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    i heard that.....the 3G adds a little bulk and the battery will prolli have ato be a bit bigger to handle the HSDPA network's power hungry needs.