Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Rave & Rant

Discussion in 'AT&T Wireless Forum' started by KevinJames, Aug 27, 2013.

1. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Well, lets start with the good: I decided to get myself one of the AT&T Unite devices. Although not as fast as DSL, its managable. I use it to connect my wi-fi enabled laptop and my wife has a wi-fi-only Samsung tablet. The cost is actually pretty good. Up to recently my average COMBINED bill with ATT was about $230. That was landline, DSL, and 2 smartphones. Now the bill with two of these Unity (cellular wi-fi) devices will only be another $30/month, including 15gig shared data.

When I compared having to go with another home internet provider, I checked my local cable company (comcast). They had a 6-month, no contract offer for $40/month and after that $70/month. I also called Dish Satellite because I have them for my TV service. They wanted $80/month and I had to sign a 2-year contract. Neither of those costs included installation and equipment.

So why do I have a rant? Because I was forced to make these decisions in the first place. But the rant is not against ATT wireless. It is against their ages-old POTS line (Plain-Old-Telephone-System). I live in an area where there is only copper wire--no fiber-to-the-curb nor fiber-to-the-node. Every year for the past 3 or 4 years I would lose my telephone line and the DSL modem would blink indicating there was no sync. For the past 3 months it has been touch and go. For the past week I escalated the issue and patiently waited. By Friday of last week, it seemed the issue was handled. I was gone Saturday morning but when I returned home at noon, I noticed I no longer had sync. I picked up the phone to see if i had dialtone. I did not! I got so angry, I used my cell to call the service center and disconnected my home service. I am also a bit ticked that I can not at present use my desktop PC because it doesn't have wi-fi built in. The employee at the ATT wireless store indicated I can get a USB dongle to use on my desktop, but that is yet more money out of my pocket, more running around.

So the reason I'm having to spend an extra $30/month; the reason I had to waste hours of my weekend calling around for pricing services; is because ATT is too incompetent to keep a service going that has been around for decades (POTS).

Note: POTS is an official term that is used even within ATT.
    Plain old telephone service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1 person likes this.
  2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Replying to my own post seeing as editing is locked out after a while. I am/was wrong about the speed of the device. It is actually 2 to 3 times faster than my DSL line was. I could almost get 3mbps down and about 0.75 to 1mbps up. With the Unite device (in an LTE service area) I am consistently getting 9mbps down and almost 8mbps up. My only concern (and i monitor it daily) is that I'm now on a metered data plan. So far, it appears the 15gig plan I got will hold my wife & I pretty well. In 8 days we used 2.25gig. So in an average month, I doubt we'd top 10gig.