Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Rating Of Brands ?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Robert111, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Robert111

Robert111 New Member

Hello:

Really know next to nothing about cel-phones, other than I have had
    a Samsung from Verizon which hasn't worked well.

Is it reasonable to ask you experts to perhaps rate and list these
    as to quality and performance for their basic, no frills, model ?

Or, is it so model dependent that listing by brands only makes no sense ?

I wouold imagine, though, some brands by now have a "history" of problems, and I would like to avoid that one, of course for a new phone.

LG
    Nokia
    Samsung
    Kyrocea
    Audiovox
    Motorola

Any to avoid ?

Thanks,
    B.

2. waywith

waywith Junior Member

This is like asking people to tell you what is the best automobile brand. Different people have different preferences.

In my own case, I had several Nokia's over the years and found them to be excellent. I now have a Kyocera KX-1 (Soho) and like it very much. Most people who have it seem to like it. But on another forum (Howard) there are a couple of people who will trash this model if you ask about it, apparently because they got a bad (lemon) unit.

Take a look at Consumer Reports for Feb. 2005, they rate some cell phones but by no means all. But at least they are unbiased, something you may not find here, simply because if people are satisfied they are going to tell you their phone brand is best. Nobody likes to think they bought a rotten phone and now have to live with it <LOL>.

-way

3. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I would tend to avoid LG too, but many people are just fine with them. It's a personal thing like waywith said.

Also, sometimes you get people that shell out a lot of $$$ for a phone and even if they are not happy with it they will make themselves happy in order to justify their purchase.

I'm curious which Samsung you are using, as their newer models tend to be much improved over what they were offering a year ago. If you have an older model (a310 for example) you might still want to give Samsung a try if you otherwise like their phones.

Nokia's latest phones seem to all get above average reception, which might be important if you live in a fringe coverage area.

4. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Anthro, why stay away from LG's?
    Nokias I have found to be great, durable phones with great RF and the basics a phone needs...If you're looking for a higher-tech phone then those Nokias might not be for you, but if you're looking for something basic that does a great job, you should seriously consider Nokia.

5. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Andy, you are generalizing all Nokias. There are plenty of Nokias out there that are definitely as Hi Tech as you can get today. I have the 6230 which is definitely Hi Tech (but not a series 60 symbian, just a series 40) inluding EDGE, BT, IR, MP3 Player, FM Radio, speaker phone, camera, video...(viewfly what did I miss ;)? Great reception all in the smallest possible package with a professional look. Can you tell I am passionate about the 6230...LOL.

Other than the Nokias, a particular brand is really a personal preference, I have had 3 very good phones LG 6K, LG 7K, and the samsung 670 in the last couple of years and a piece of junk Moto T720 but yet a great Moto V66. So it also depends on the phone.

HTH

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I think Andy was referring specifically to CDMA Nokia handsets on Verizon service. They are, for the most part, bare bones, entry level phones. That should change this year though.

7. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I just have not had great epxeriences with LG phones, nor have family members that use them. Admittedly though, I have not used one since the 4400, so they may have improved as of late.

8. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Oh Ok, thanks for clarifying that I misunderstood.

PS: Great new Avatar although I have to admit I was quite fond of the "Big Meany"...LOL

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Robert111

Robert111 New Member

Hi again,

Yes, I have an a310.

Like everything about it for the most part, except that the keys
    just don't work, sometimes.

Appears to be bad contacts, I think, but of course might be in the software. Happens mainly when trying to scroll thru the "Phone Book" listings.

Do you really think they are better now ?

Thanks for help,
    Bob
    -----------

I'm curious which Samsung you are using, as their newer models tend to be much improved over what they were offering a year ago. If you have an older model (a310 for example) you might still want to give Samsung a try if you otherwise like their phones.

10. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I can bring the meanie back! :)

I used to use the a310 and just found it to be a bad phone. Poor reception in many places and the quality control was bad at Samsung back then. It's still not the best now, but it is much better and comparable to most companies.

I also thing Samsung has improved dramatically in the reception department too, so I think it is safe to stick with them if you see a phone you like.

11. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I was referring to CDMA models...;)

12. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    OK Andy you are forgiven...LOL ;)

13. charlyee

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    I have used the A670 which had extremely good RF and top notch quality, so atleast that is one phone that is much improved over the A310.

14. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I've always had the impression that manufacturers make better phones for one of the technologies (CDMA vs GSM). I always thought that Motorolas and Nokias are better in GSM than CDMA while Samsung and LG are better in CDMA than GSM.

15. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    You are very kind, Thank you, lol.
    I'll make myself more clear next time ;)

16. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Ok, we're talking GSM, not CDMA phones, but you got most things Charlyee, BUT there is video streaming, replaceable front and back covers,stopwatch, and great accessories like stereo speaker cradle, Memory Cards,BT digital pen (for writing SMS instead of typings) to name a few. Good FREE software support from Nokia (Nokia PC Suite and 3rd party Mobile Master ) and others..

See Sheer Delight video for a neat demo.

You got me on a roll Charlyee :D

17. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

I agree, if anything LG phones are and have been one of Verizon's best selling phones, even the LG 4400, you may ask yourself, why would one of America's biggest carriers sell LG phones if they are bad phones...

18. wgray8231

wgray8231 I don't work here.

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    And when VZW had the peanut Motos.... Talk about a cheap phone.

Seems like VZW's best non-pda phones have been LGs for a while. My wife and I had Kyoceras until I got a vx6000 3 months ago. (I prefer not to buy the latest and greatest) and they decent. I definitely like my LG better except for its lacking one feature: vibrate then ring, getting increasingly louder.

19. AprilFool

AprilFool Junior Member

Maybe because the price is right (maybe because there is some shady government subsidizing going on in Korea)?

FoolMeOnce

20. wgray8231

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Maybe because S Korea actually uses CDMA, so LG puts some R&D into phones VZW can use.

21. twopiece

twopiece D'oh!!

My Phone:
    Motorola Droid Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    This is a personal preference on my part:

Motorola
    Samsung
    LG
    the rest (in no particular order)

22. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile

Agreed, i don't think LG has released anything worth getting excited about after the LG VX6000, hopefully they'll get back on track..

23. dallison

dallison Senior Member

nokias are always an all around good phone

24. wgray8231

My Phone:
    iPhone 4 (temporary)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I agree on some levels. The newer LGs (6100, 7k, 8k) don't look very good at all. The rectangular shape (7k, 8k) is very crude for the flips. The colors and design could really use some work. The feature sets aren't that much better than the 6k other than the 8k having the mp3 player.

I'm kinda glad I got my 6k late--I won't need to get a new phone for a while. Maybe something good will be out by then.

25. InjunJim

InjunJim Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I have an a310 also. I'm going to try out the a670 and from what I've been reading on the forums, I most likely won't be disappointed. Digital service is pretty good in my area. In the last 2 years my phone has only dropped into analog 3 times, and then only briefly. And remember, the 670 will process a digital signal a whole lot better than the 310. 2-3 years of development is a LONG time in the world of wireless technology.

26. proud2bamerican8

proud2bamerican8 Junior Member

For 2004, JD Power & Assoc ranked Sanyo #1 for Customer Satisfaction, stating in part:

"The study measures satisfaction of customers who have owned their mobile phones for less than two years based on five key factors that impact overall wireless handset performance. In order of importance, these are: features (27%); durability (23%); physical design (19%); battery function (16%); and operation (15%).

SANYO ranks highest in overall customer satisfaction with wireless cell phones, consistently performing significantly above the industry average across all five factors. SANYO performs particularly well in the areas of features, operation and physical design."

more at http://www.jdpower.com/cc/telecom/jdpa_ratings/wireless/Find.jsp?s=6

27. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    hm? i don't know about those claims, yes i like the aesthetics of my Sanyo, but quality wise i think they should do better...
    nice info, too bad Verizon doesn't carry Sanyos though..

28. Remag1234

Remag1234 New Member

I have a e715 TMobile and it's one of the best phones I've had. I have also used various providers and find that TMobile has become one of the best. Customer service is terrific [you sometimes have to call more than once]. If you ask for a supervisor you can usually get a better deal on a phone.
    Happy shopping.
    Bob

29. dallison

dallison Senior Member

the carrier should be listed also, just b/c that same phone may not work well witht the other cell co.
    for example, LG, they suck with cing but it seems they are reputable with vz. same with nokia, cept they work better with cing thatn vzw

30. Andy

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):

I'm not sure in what regards you are saying that Nokias work better with Cing than with VZW. :confused: But, I came home from a few day trip on Monday night and my VZW Nokia made/received calls in areas where my LG phone had no service or switched between no service/1 bar, but unusable.
    VZW Nokia phones don't offer very much, but they are, IMO, very good phones for what they do-make and receive calls ;)