Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

quick situation

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by Tuffy11111, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Tuffy11111

Tuffy11111 New Member

My Phone:
    Kyocera Slider Remix
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    My Slider remix somewhat died today and I need a new phone. I want to go in the route of a smart phone or pda phone whatever. I am in the middle of a 2 year contract with Alltel which expires in February of next year. No biggie. But what I am wondering is if I should just go ahead and get the Moto Q? How much of a hassle would it be to switch to AT&T and snag an iPhone? Would it be worth it? I am 16 so really I am not using this for business, I am using this for appeal and coolness of features. Which of course the iPhone has. I would get the PPC 6700 or whatever but our local Alltel stopped distributing them. Granted they are from like 2005 but Alltel offers no other Wi-Fi phone. So does anyone have any idead or suggestions? Thanks

2. UFO

UFO Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Centro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint and alltel
    What I don't really understand, is if you're 16, how are you in a contract? In order to get contract cell service through any provider, you must be at least 18 with a good credit history in most cases to avoid a deposit.

If you're under 18, you're really at the mercy of whomever the adult is that's in charge of your family plan account. You don't really have the option of going elsewhere and getting a smartphone.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but I just wanted to warn you if you're trying to make plans when you don't really have any options.

Assuming you have the freedom to go with the phone/provider of your choice, I would advise staying away from a pda/smartphone, including the iPhone. These phones require data in most cases, and often the cheapest plan is $60-$70/month. Even with the iPhone, the reviews haven't been that great and the data is horribly slow because it's not even 3G capable. If you want a phone for the appeal and coolness of features, get a AX8600 or a KRZR, which are less expensive phones than pda's with less expensive plans. On Alltel's website, the pda plans are the 'Smart Choice Packs.' I would also advise staying with Alltel because if you switch providers before your contract is over, you will be hit with a $200 early termination fee for canceling your contract before the end date. Not that this is a bad thing, I would personally recommend Alltel over AT&T anyway because the plans are better and in most places alltel covers, they do a great job of coverage. Also, if you're set on getting a smartphone, Alltel has the much larger hi-speed data (EVDO) footprint.

Even if you have the extra money to spend on a smartphone, it's really not a good investment IMHO. It's extra weight and bulkiness in your pocket and they're really designed far more for the concept of usefulness rather than coolness. Just in terms of appeal and coolness of features, out of every phone on the market, I would say that the KRZR can't be beat, but I'm a Motorola fan myself. The 8600 is the newest LG and the Wafer is the newest Samsung.

What I would do, is just get another regular phone. If you're not yet able to extend your contract and get a discount on the phone, you can either pay retail price or try to save by shopping on eBay or ording an AlltelU pre-paid phone. If you're contract is over in February, you should be able to get a new phone with a discount in December. Then, if you still wish to move to a smartphone, the newer, updated model of the PPC6700 should be out just in time for Christmas if not before then. Until then, you can actually consider the pros and cons of moving to a smartphone rather than making a spontaneous decision that may cost you extra for another 2 yrs.

3. Tuffy11111

Tuffy11111 New Member

My Phone:
    Kyocera Slider Remix
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Hey That really helped a lot thank you. My parents have all of the plans and stuff. After reading that I might just possibly try to stick it out until Christmas and get the ppc 6700. I am not sure if that will be possible. The speaker on my remix died and I have to use speakerphone in order to hear the conversation. Its really annoying and I want a working phone when I leave for Virginia on Wednesday. I hate to keep droning on here but once again I really do appreciate your opinions and suggestions.

I will try to become a regular here. It seems a little advanced to me but I am always in the hunt for some good forums :)

4. foufymaus

foufymaus Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG Glimmer
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Im not that into the whole phone deal thing i couldn't be called an expert, but couldn't you just buy a cheapie pre paid from walmart and have alltel activate it for you? If you need it when you leave for virgina?