Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Questions for Cellular South Users

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by thetechgeek, Dec 6, 2005.

1. thetechgeek

thetechgeek New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6255i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cellular South & Verizon
    I'm from Memphis and was thinking of switching over to CS from Cingular. Their recent unlimited plan w/ free roaming and their recent free activation promotions make it that much more enticing (also the no contract option is not bad either!).

Before I switch, I had a few questions that I wanted some help with:

1) Are any of you near me and how is the coverage in Mid-South as well as the general southern areas? Rural areas? Any problem areas?

2) How is their national coverage? Have any of you tried it? How did it perform?

3) The unlimited text messaging option is wonderful. Do you all use it and if so, how well does it work? Especially with other carriers? Any chance of it working internationally? Even to Canada?

4) Are there any true data options available?

5) How well does it work inside buildings, etc?

6) Is it true that CS does not use AMPS at all, even for a backup or roaming option? Some of their phones have AMPS built in so I found this confusing.

7) Overall, how satisfied are you with CS? Would you recommend them to someone else in your area? Is their customer service open 24 hours?

8) Anything that I should be aware of before I switch? E.g., bad customer service, frequent billing errors, no OLAM, defective phones, etc?

9) Last thing...is there any online forums, email user group, etc for CS users?

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. agentHibby

agentHibby Iowa Cellular Guru

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I can respond to one question #6
    Most of Cellular South is PCS so they don't have analog Cellular. There is a few places where Cellular South does has a Cellular network and does have analog cellular, but not many places.

3. agentHibby

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    There might be a few people over here that use Celluar South

W0rdie over at the howardforums.com probably can help you out.

4. mts3

mts3 New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3205
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cellular South
    Cellular South is a Mississippi company so their coverage is best here. If you look at their actual coverage map, they cover Mississippi, the Alabama coast, the Florida panhandle, and part of southwest Tennessee (Memphis, Jackson). They do have an AMPS network in the Mississippi delta and other markets where they started out cellular. Here in Grenada they are PCS.

1) In MS their coverage is very good from my experience and constantly growing. It's also good in Mobile/Gulf Shores AL. I haven't been around Memphis much since I had my CS phone other than going to the airport.

2) They rely on roaming agreements outside of the markets I mentioned above. I have not had a problem roaming with them.

3) I don't have this but my parents had it before they moved out of MS. Always worked fine.

4) Not that I know of.

5) It doesn't work in most of the building I work in (all metal factory). Probably because they're PCS. Cingular (cellular here) doesn't work either and both have many towers here in Grenada. In other buildings it's fine. In Memphis they're PCS as well.

6) Not true.

7) We've been satisfied. I don't travel much and use my phone very little. We had their unlimited plan on my wife's phone for a while and it was our main phone before we had VoIP. I like that their coverage is growing always here in MS, especially in lowly-populated areas. Their service is not open 24 hrs.

8) Nothing stands out.

9) None that I know of.

My parents had CS since 95 with the in-car analog phones, through TDMA and finally to CDMA. I only have had their CDMA and have been happy with it. Just make sure it works where you are.

5. thetechgeek

thetechgeek New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6255i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cellular South & Verizon
    Thanks agentHibby and mts3!

This info really helps considering that there really does not seem to be much information out there about CS.

Any others got feedback? Anything will be useful and greatly appreciated!

6. jjdu42

jjdu42 Junior Member

Cellular South has been very aggressive this year with their CDMA buildout. They have added a ton of sites in their markets especially here in the Meridian Area. Their coverage is very good even though they are PCS here in the Central part of the state. They only have very few areas that they don't actually have coverage in....but they are quickly filling those holes. WIth their new rate plan it would be no question that I would have CS over Cingular. We use alltel here because of their T2T service and are quite happy with the level of service we get from alltel. If we weren't attached to the ptt I'd change over to CS in a heartbeat!

7. thetechgeek

thetechgeek New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6255i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cellular South & Verizon
    Thanks for the reply!

Where do you know holes exist? Were you mainly referring to Mississippi only or other surrounding states?

8. jjdu42

jjdu42 Junior Member

9. thetechgeek

thetechgeek New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6255i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cellular South & Verizon
    Are the maps that Cellular South has usually up to date?

10. agentHibby

My Phone:
    Nokia 6256i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    yes there are usally up to date ;)

11. mts3

mts3 New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 3205
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cellular South
    From my experience, they are up to date. Their MS map, for instance, shows future coverage around the Houston area in Chickasaw county and Calhoun county. These are on MS Hwys 8 and 15. This coverage is brand new and was turned on within the last two months. Their maps depict actual coverage, not just licensed areas.

12. thetechgeek

thetechgeek New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6255i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cellular South & Verizon
    Thanks again for the prompt replies!

Guess what....I just switched over to CS yesterday!

Looks like I"m already having some problem with my phone though :( Does anyone else use the Motorola V262? I had some questions in that regard.

13. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Try the Motorola forum.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. jjdu42

jjdu42 Junior Member

Very good phone IMHO.....our best seller with alltel.

15. thetechgeek

thetechgeek New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6255i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cellular South & Verizon
    Thanks for the replies.

The battery life on that Motorola was horrid and I have problems with calendar alarms not going off among other things. It was nice, thin, and got great reception but I dished out the extra money and got the...

NOKIA 6255i :thumb:

So far it's a great phone (aside from being a little bulky and the right soft key does not look like it can be changed) and the battery life is awesome.

Anyone else have this phone?

16. whiz4u

whiz4u New Member

cellularsouth is a great company. the cdma tec is very good i have the nokia 6235i and i get great reception and battery every where with the phone i take advantage of the unlimited text i text all day till my finger gets sore cellularsothis the compay for you if you dont like to pay for any overage fee's at all

17. kjl25

kjl25 New Member

Switched to CS about 3 yrs ago and love it. Could not get service with Alltel at my home and now can sit in my living room and talk. I had the 6255 and probably the best reception I have ever had. Shouldn't have a problem with coverage. :thumb: