Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

questions about verizon's EVdo

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Day5InJanuary, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Day5InJanuary

Day5InJanuary Junior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    1st) how do some areas have v-cast and some areas dont?
    2nd) is evdo/vcast a actual switch in the network.
    3rd) does the evdo/ vcast network mean that the carrier has to send sombody to the towers and put a special frequency up to carry the network?
    4th) can i tell when a tower has evdo or not...is there a special antenna or panel that seperates itself from the rest?

All these question are interesting to me becasue of what i have noticed in my town lately.....my town has always had great verizon signal.....i know exactly where the verzon tower is located also.....i have the LG ENV for a cell phoen so it will show to twop different bars for EV and 1X. a few months ago my town had no v-cast or ev signal...so on my cell phone it would show that i had full 1x bars but no EV/vcast bars....recently i was told that our topwn has vcast and noticed that my phone showed the EV with 3 bars on it..i am pumped...the tricky thing is that when i stand under the verizon tower i get 4 1X bars and only 3 EV/vcast bars. know remember that i know that thi sis the verizon tower i am standing near so i am wondering how i still dont get a full EV signal?.....did the put a EV tower up somplace else???? i know of the two towers on my town and wonder if verizon put up the EV network on the other tower...but why would they do that..it wouyldnt make sense???can anyone help me?

2. rytard

rytard Junior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    LG VX8550 Chocolate (Red)
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Some areas have basic towers and some towers are outfitted with EV-DO equipment, i dont know if you can tell but i think you can ask someone else, what do you mean by an actual switch in the network? I believe the cell signal travels out but somtimes it is spooty real close to a tower but dont hold me to that because i am not sure

3. TeleTips Network

TeleTips Network Junior Member

My Phone:
    Treo 700wx
    RF equipment has to be installed in the site to enable EV-DO. VzW might have chosen not to install this equipment in all their sites because the equipment is expensive and the potential revenue is uncertain. Thus the cost benefit models can sometimes make it seem attractive to install EV-DO in only some sites.
    Yes, there is equipment in the central office or Mobile Telephone Switching Office (MTSO.) The function of that equipment, how much of it is there, etc., depends upon which vendor (or vendors) provides VzW with EV-DO infrastructure. Anyone know which vendor VzW uses? Last I recall it was Nortel. But it seems like VzW DNA requires them to swap out their entire network every few years. Back in the day when I worked there they binned Lucent for Motorola, then a few years later trashed Moto to install Nortel. I've been gone long enough to have missed a few iterations.
    Yes, one time techcnicians must install RF equipment. EV-DO is given its own frequency; voice and EV-DO cannot share the same carrier.
    I don't believe unique antennas are required, but it might be possible.

4. Dogma

Dogma Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel/Verizon
    You are correct in that unique antennas are not required. On some Nortel BTS's you can have 3 carriers coming from the same radio going out the same antennas...including EV-DO.