Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Questions About T-Mobile

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by MOTOhooligan, Oct 30, 2004.

1. MOTOhooligan

MOTOhooligan Former Mobile Data Addict

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I am thinking of signing up with T-Mobile and have some questions.

Aside from their bizarre VM notification by SMS does anyone have any major problems with T-Mobile's service or the way they do things?

When you change handsets is it as simple as swapping the SIM into another T-Mobile (or unlocked) handset or do you have to have CS change the IMEI somewhere in the billing system and, if so, is there a charge to change your IMEI?

How is their billing? Did you get what you were promised? Are there a lot of billing errors?

Coverage isn't really an issue as I know they pretty much cover where I need to be but do they have a lot of issues with their network such as outages, features not working correctly (or at all?)

Is there some sort of non-tax surcharge applied to your bill that is put there by T-Mobile but not mandated by the governtment? It would be labelled some sort of Regulatory or Administrative Surcharge.

I will post more questions as I think of them, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Hey,
    With T-Mobile(or any GSM carrier that is), all you do is swap your SIM Card into a different GSM phone and you're set to go. Period.

Every carrier have billing problems(some more some less); but I think it's the carrier's willingness to correct billing errors that count as well.

Coverage depends on where you live; in my area, they used to have a lot of calls go straight to voicemail and a lot of "all circuits are busy" messages, etc. I don't know whether or not they've fixed it yet(I canceleld my contract the day it was up).

Generally, though, if you know coverage is good where you need it, and if pricing is good for you, you should be fine.

~Andy

3. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Andy is correct about the SIM & billing. T-Mobile for the most part is good about fixing problems, it just depends on how knowledgeable the rep(s) are. Sometimes T-Zones can be a little flaky & slow at times. But it helps to be on the same network as Cingular, and maintained by Cingular for calls. And yes, there is a "Regulatory Program Fee" of $0.82 for government mandates & programs.

4. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Andy, Budney, thank you for your help. These answers have helped me a lot... now another question:
    If you lose your phone (and SIM card) but have another phone, how much does a new SIM card cost, roughly?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ZaphodB

ZaphodB Signal Go Down De Hole...

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    Take this with a grain of salt, because you know T-Mobile and I just parted on acrimonious terms, but here's my case:

1. Yes, you can swap your SIM into any T-Mobile or unlocked phone. You don't need to call them, they don't do IMEI blocking.

2. The billing is generally good -- be aware that if you do a handset upgrade through T-Mobile Customer Care, the charge ends up on your bill. Other than this recent issue with my free month and $20 bill credit not showing up for months, it's been accurate. As for getting what you were promised, well, I can't give them great marks.

3. The features I had issues with were fairly obscure -- 6-way calling, for example, worked about 50% of the time -- but in general not so bad. They don't have as much of a problem with network capacity as once they did, at least here in LA, and their coverage was actually fairly good.

3. Yes, there is a regulatory offset fee. Here in L.A., based on a $69.99 plan, here are the taxes and fees:

Federal Excise Tax: $2.21
    E911 Tax: $0.52
    City Utility Users Tax: $7.00
    Federal Universal Service Fund: $0.97
    CA Relay Service and Comms Device Fund: $0.21
    California High Cost Fund A: $0.12
    California High Cost Fund B: $1.54
    California Teleconnect Fund: $0.11
    Regulatory Fee: $0.08
    Universal Lifeline Telephone Service Surcharge: $0.77

TOTAL: 13.53 (that is, 19.33% of the original cost of the bill)

CA High Cost Fund A is to keep rural and urban telephone pricing on an even keel (i.e., the urban folks subsidising the higher cost of rural telephone service)

CA High Cost Fund B provides money to keep the prices down in poor areas.

Universal Lifeline is a discount provided to those on public assistance.

The CA Teleconnect Surcharge funds a 50% discount on advanced telecomms (ISDN, ADSL, etc.) for schools and libraries.

CA Relay Service Fund provides for the 7-1-1 service, which is an operator relay service allowing the deaf to communicate with the hearing and vice-versa.

And not to go offtopic for this forum, but I'm about to sell my v600 on eBay... my issue was the SIM, not the phone itself.

6. ZaphodB

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    The cost for a SIM is usually $15-$20.

7. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Wow, Zaph, thanks, that's a lot of info. I have the taxes for KS/TX where I'll be using the phones so once I figure out the plans we're going to get (probably the Family Time $69.99 with 800 shared anytime, unlimited m2m & unlimited night & weekends) I'll be able to figure what our bill will be in KS and then in TX when we move.

I'd love to buy your v600 but we're probably not going to change anything until December so we can take advantage of the sweet holiday offers. I'm hoping to score two waived activation fees but it all depends on what they're offering at the time. Maybe I can get a good deal on the phones (I'm leaning towards the v180 since it isn't too expensive and doesn't have a lot of stuff I can't use.) But I'm also going to get a v70 or two on eBay since they're cool phones and are relatively cheap, some with lots of accessories (between $50-$75.)

Sweet, that's pretty much on par with what I thought. No sense in getting handset insurance if I have one or more back up phones and SIM cards aren't too expensive.

Since I work in the industry I want to get all the facts and know the financials before I go the corporate kiosk in our local mall... I would just order online or through T-Mobile CS but I want to have something in writing showing everything I signed up for. The local salespeople are going to have to work with their comission with me because I'm immune to their bull:censored:, I know all the tricks and won't be lied to... I'll probably know more than they do when I'm done getting the answers from T-Mobile.com, WA & HoFo.

8. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Just to clarify - your issues that had you calling 18 tech reps, etc in a thread in another forum was all b/c of your SIM card? Or am I misreading that?

9. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    You've received some good advice already. I've only been through Houston (Hobby) with TM, so I can't comment directly on service. However, since that area was a former Aerial network, it was built well to start.

The only regulatory fee that TM adds is 0.86 per month. Zap listed a lot of site specific fees/taxes, which of course would be different in Houston. In my part of Virginia, the county collects a $2 per line fee, and the state collects $0.75 per line for 911.

I've been a TM customer for over 4.5 years in the DC area. Billing, for me, has been very good. I haven't had a billing issue in a few years at least. I have two lines, t-zones. I've done upgrades from TM and the bill was correctly added to my monthly fees.

I'm a very happy customer, although I know not everyone is ;)

10. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    My fees are going to be 4.90% state retail sales Tax, up to 2.00% county/city retail sales tax, 3.55% Kansas state universal service fund, $0.50 per line for 911 and the $0.86 per line regulatory fee... in TX they will be 6.26% state retail sales tax, up to 2.00% county/city/district sales tax, 1.25% TX TIF reimbursment, 5.56% Texas universal service fund and $0.50 per line for 911 and the $0.86 per line regulatory fee.

Does anyone know how the $69.99 Family Time plan works? Is it a $59.99 "main" line with a $10 "partner" or what?

11. budney

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I'm not sure how it's billed, as I don't have a family plan. But I would think that is the way they do it.

Also I would recommend going to a corp store, instead of going through T-Mobile.com or authorized dealers. I have dealed with a few shady dealers. It seems like T-Mobile will allow just about any one to sell their service. And T-Mobile.com will activate your phone(s) before they ship, and want the phones back in thier possesion at the 15 day mark of the trial if you return the phone(s). With this your 15 day trail isn't really 15 days. :( If you do have any problems contact CS by email, that way if they promise anything you can back it in writting. :D

12. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    You don't have to tell me, authorized dealers are horrible... almost as bad as politicians!

13. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    For two Get More $39.99* plans my bill every month, including taxes in Kansas would be $99.59, in Texas it would be $106.00. A $69.99* Family Time plan would be $110.82 in Kansas and $117.95 in Texas. That's a 6.436% increase between Kansas and Texas... don't mess with Texas? Texas is messing with me.

*Including $2.99 for 300 text messages on each line and $4.99 for unlimited T-Zones on each line.

Does anyone know how much a refurb v600 is from T-Mobile?

14. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Family time plans are separate from the individual plans. TM has 3 family plans, and that is it. The 69.99 plan (the one I am on) has 800 shared minutes. It's billed at the "top level" and then there are separate sections for the individual lines on the plans for messaging charges, t-zones, call details, per-line taxes and fees, etc.

I don't think TM sells refurbs to new customers.

15. ZaphodB

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    Either that or something particular to my telephone line, because I had my wife, who was on a FamilyTalk plan with me, put her SIM in my v600 and it worked fine (this is the replacement -- not sure about the original v600). My SIM in her Nokia 3595 exhibited the same behaviour.

Thus, either the SIM was corrupted or there was something screwy about my line.

16. ZaphodB

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    That confused the @$#% out of me when I went to T-Mobile. I'd come from Cingular, which, like AT&T, Verizon and Sprint, is more along the lines of an "add-a-phone" concept -- you still pick an individual plan but then pay a fee to have it shared.

T-Mobile's "separate plan" is a good idea, though it can be a little hard to compare apples to apples if you're pricing T-Mobile amongst other carriers -- you pretty much have to total up the others to be able to do it.

What it means, though, is that you can't just drop the second line; you would have to go onto an individual plans.

For all my issues with T-Mobile, by the way, I don't think they're a bad service, I think I just had bad luck. I wouldn't warn people not to get T-Mobile service.

17. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Zap, why didn't you (or TM) suggest getting a new SIM on your account to see if that was the problem? They can go bad, although it's not common unless they get damaged in some way.

18. ZaphodB

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    No idea. I wasn't aware that such things were easily accomplished, since pretty much all of your information is on the SIM, and they never even suggested it.

Acqua sotto il ponte...

19. Matt

Matt Twin girls!

My Phone:
    MyTouch 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    With most phones today (I think) you can just copy your address book from SIM to phone, put the new SIM in, activate the SIM, and copy the address book back onto the new SIM and away you go....

I hope your problem was more serious than that.....both for your mental health :D and the fact that TM should have suggested it somewhere along the way......

I don't know Italian, but I do know babelfish ;)

20. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    That's okay, I'll probably get the Samsung SGH-R225M or Samsung SGH-C225 when I sign up because they're cheap (the SGH-R225M is free, I think.) Then I'll look into getting a used v70 on eBay and then try and get a v600. I may wait until the v625 comes out to try and get a better deal on a v600... hopefully with the upgraded firmware, etc. I've found that if you wait until the upgrade of a phone hits store shelves you can find pretty good deals on the previous model on eBay and a lot of times you can get accessories in the package as well. After my initial 12 month agreement with T-Mobile is up I don't plan on signing another one. As long as the plan we get works I see no need to sign another contract and just plan on buying used phones from eBay or refurbished phones from T-Mobile but having a v600 isn't a huge priority as long as I get one eventually. :)

21. ZaphodB

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    I really, REALLY do not recommend the SGH-R225M. Not even temporarily, not even as a backup. It had huge issues with interference, the battery life is sh!te, and it's the slowest-responding phone I've ever had.

If you are signing up as a new T-Mo customer, you can get a (brand-new) v600 with activation from amazon.com for $49.99 and free shipping. Don't get the R225M. It just wasn't ready for prime-time.

22. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    What about the Samsung SGH-C225? Does this upgrade of the SGH-R225M fix the issues with that phone or is it just a SGH-R225M with a color screen and no significant improvements?

23. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Is this with a mail-in rebate or an instant rebate? (And if the v600 is new has the firmware issue been fixed?) I'll check out amazon.com after work.

24. ZaphodB

My Phone:
    LG VX5600
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon(US) Orange(FR)
    It's a MIR, but T-Mobile is really fast about MIRs.

The v600 firmware issue I heard about only affected Cingular and AT&T, because they use 800 MHz GSM. T-Mobile does not, in fact they disable the 850 MHz functionality.

25. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Cool, I'll have to use my credit card initially but $49.99 for a v600 is a fantastic price! Much better than the $199.99 on T-Mobile's website.

26. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    What is T-Mobile's deposit situation like? I don't have perfect credit but I don't have horrible credit, either. What kind of deposit am I likely to pay to activate two lines, if at all? $200? $300? (I guess this is more for T-Mobile sales reps than anyone.)

27. budney

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    T-Mobile is pretty good when it comes to credit checks. IMO you will have either a $0-$150 deposit, or they will put you on SmartAccess. With SmartAccess you will not have to put down a deposit, but you will have to pay full retail for the phone. Also your choices in plans will be small, the 1000 anytime plan or the 600 anytime w/ N&W for $40 are your choices that I know of. They may have added another plan or two, but I am not sure. And you can only have the one phone when you are on SmartAccess.

28. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Hmmm... that would not save us the kind of $ we are looking at. With the deposits, how long is it before you get them back and do they just apply to your bill or do you get a check or something?

29. budney

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I believe it's a year. And they will put it on your bill unless you tell them you want a check.

30. MOTOhooligan

My Phone:
    Motorola XT1929-17
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Outstanding. Here's another question...
    When you utilize the 14 day satisfaction guarantee period, is there a limit to the number of minutes which can be used on the handsets and still have them returned as resellable (so you're not charged full retail for the phones?)

I plan on getting the phones on a Saturday when the mall first opens and going all over the area in which I live, trying out the service. If it isn't up to my standards those phones will be back at the kiosk before closing that same day but if I should not be able to do that for some reason I'd like to know what the policies are for the 14 day return period.