Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Questions about Nokia 7160...

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by Sventek, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Sventek

Sventek New Member

I'm a long-time ATT Wireless subscriber, but the current phones don't 'do it' for me. I've decided that I'd like a Nokia 7160 - but alas, I only see them listed for the Cingular network.

I've read some sites where they say that Nokia *was* supposed to make some for ATT, but decided recently to not do so?

Can a Cingular one be 'unlocked' and used with ATT? Has anyone tried it? Should I go jump in a lake? :)

Thanks!

2. Bird

Bird New Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    I have a 7160 on Cingular in NJ. It is not as flashy as some of the smaller Nokias, but it has a large screen and a nice 'roller' button for menu navigation. For calling numbers you have saved you don't even need to slide open the cover over the keys.
    I have never tried 'unlocking' it -- don't know much about that stuff. It seems to me that you would still have great difficulty getting it activated on the AT&T network.

3. Sventek

Sventek New Member

Well I found a company out west (Edge Wireless) that advertises the 7160 for AT&T networks... so I might try them and at least get some info.

I'd just rather not pay full retail. :) Too bad all the one's I've seen new on eBay are Cingular... :-(

4. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

Sventek,

Yes you can unlock the Nokia to work on AT&T. But before you buy the phone on EBay go and see your AT&T salesperson at the store to make sure they WILL do it for you. It's a very easy procedure going from Cingular to AT&T. Now the opposite is not true. You can't take an AT&T phone to Cingular but that's not the issue here.

Tom

5. Sventek

Sventek New Member

Tom-

Thanks!!! Now are you suggesting that the ATT guy do the unlocking? Or bring in an already unlocked phone?

I appreciate the advice!

6. Eastexan

Eastexan New Member

Sventek, you may want to consider the new Nokia 6360 when AT&T offers it in a couple months. It don't have the navi roller or the slide key cover, but it has everything else and more. It is roughly the same size as the 7160 and uses a lot of the same accessories. See Kevins message in this same forum under "Nokia 6360- more (positive) news" on 12-14-01.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I have been using a Nokia 7160 on AT&T since May of this year.
    I purchased the phone on e-bay & it was already programed for AT&T, I also tried to get AT&T to activate another 7160 (prior to getting the one I have) and they said NO.
    The way around this is to go to a AT&T master agent & have him put the ESS into the system.
    Good Luck

8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Member

I think you mean ESN (probably a typo).

Sventek, yes the AT&T agent can "unlock", if needed, and then SOC lock the phone again. He or She will also flash your phone with the current IRDB and software. Anonymous's post above makes a good point about the ESN needing to be loaded on the switch and if the agent is willing to do that then you should be good to go. I got AT&T to load my esn on their switch but it took some convincing with the tech dept.

Tom