Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Question about Virgin or Cricket. Please help.

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by Leeloo, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Leeloo

Leeloo New Member

My Phone:
    Sprint Nokia
    I have a friend who just bought a Virgin Mobile WildCard phone by Kyocera after weighing some pros/cons of going with them vs. Cricket. However, when he went to set his phone up, the Virgin website was rather cagey. He said that he couldn't find a way to purchase unlimited text messaging & unlimited web for x amount of dollars per month (where, with Cricket, he could have gone that route for like $35 a month). He doesn't want the phone for voice, rather just wants it to text message, check e-mails & browse the web.

The problem lies in that he already purchased the WildCard phone & set it up, thinking he could purchase the add-ons once he was set up. Now he's basically stuck, wondering whether he should return the Virgin phone & go with Cricket instead. Of course, the Virgin phone was cheaper, so he thought he was doing better by going that route.

Because I've never used Virgin or Cricket, I can't truly say which would be the better route to go. I do know that he'd have excellent reception in his area, regardless of which service he opts for. He's also not traveling with the phone, so nationwide coverage is a non-issue for him. He simply wants the phone to check e-mail, text, etc. (essentially for data in local areas only). Both the WildCard & the Lingo are the same exact phones. The only difference is color (Virgin mobile is black & Cricket's is bronze). The reason he wants to go one of the two routes is that he loves the phone's style.

My question is, has anyone ever used both Cricket & Virgin, and if so, which service did you prefer & why? Any input here would be helpful.

2. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    I have not used Virgin but I have used Cricket and have not had any problems with them. Their calling plans are simple and clearly cut out and reasonably priced and generally the Cricket network is also good built out.

3. carolannelawson

carolannelawson New Member

Cricket was my first cell phone. It was great! Of course you could not leave the boundaries and use it. But if he stays with in the boundaries the unlimited use is great.

4. Leeloo

Leeloo New Member

My Phone:
    Sprint Nokia
    Thank you both for your input. I was leaning toward telling him Cricket myself, but wasn't sure as I've had no experience with them.

I understand he wanted to save money, but my concern is that it may wind up costing him more in the long run.

Thanks again for your help. I'll talk to him & see if he's interested in possibly returning his Virgin phone for the Cricket one instead.

5. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    You are welcome- keep us updated on what he decides on and how it works out for him.

6. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Yeah cricket really has a good network they are growing like crazy here their maps dont show itthough