Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Question about using a verizon prepaid phone on a postpaid account

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by kjo, Oct 6, 2006.

1. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Hey there :)

I just had a quick question. Does anyone know if it's okay to use a Verizon Prepaid phone (like the kind you pick up at Target or Walmart) on a post paid account.

If I can't figure out what's going on with my step dad's LG he needs a new phone...but my parents don't want to go through verizon.(they don't want to get into another 2 year contract) I don't want to keep messing with ebay. So I thought..gee for like 70 bucks I could go down and get a prepaid phone and just activate on their account. ????
    I would think it would be okay. I mean we took my aunts phone which was post paid and put it on the prepaid plan free up. Now granted that was when Verizon first got prepaid, but it should still work right ?

I posted my question about my step dads' LG in the lg forum if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated :)
    Thanks all!
    :browani:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    well it is a locked Verizon phone with their software and PRLs and all the phones made nowadays are E911 capable so technically you should be able to do that

when you get the phone figure out what the ESN of the phone is and call into Verizon with your stepdad's cell # and the ESN of the phone and they should be able to swtch his service over

unless they segregate the ESNs and know that its a prepaid ESN then they might block it......i dont know what Verizon's policy is on that.......we should probably wait for someone else to give their opinion

EDIT: in case you didnt know the ESN is like the ID number of the phone

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    thanks...yeah see that's what I'm wondering too...if they know it by the esn number. I'm going to try and get a new battery for his 4400 and see if that fixes the problem.... but it should would be nice to know about the prepaid phones and the esn numbers. :)

4. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    like i said i dont see why Verizon would segregate the ESNs to keep the prepaid phones off the postpay billing system it just wouldnt make sense but it would be nice if we could get a Verizon tech in here to help out :rolleyes:

5. kjo

kjo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Iphone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I gotta take off for a bit... but perhaps a Verizon tech will swoop in and be the master of all they survey:biggrin: lol and I'll have a surprise answer later ;)

6. MeatChicken

MeatChicken Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC ONE M9
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW
    From what I have read in other forums,
    You should be OK Provided that the Prepay fone Has NEVER been activated yet.
    Simply log in online, click "Activate fone, & swap the ESN, or call CS ...

7. MingAn

MingAn New Member

Hi,

Any suggestions on how to activate a prepaid phone, that WAS previously activated, onto a postpaid account?

I think I just got burned on EBay pretty badly. I bought a cell phone, listing saying it was "clear, not on lost/stolen list." When I tried to activate it the store rep said it was still an "active account" so he could not activate.

Suggestions anyone?

Thanks,

-Ming

8. Ellen

Ellen Guest

Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX8350/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

Once a phone has been activated on a prepaid account, the ESN becomes locked to that account for 6 months. Verizon will not activate it untill the 6 months are up. You should contact the seller, and try to return it. Or ask when the phone was activated.

9. SmArTeStChIlD421

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah but what if its locked to a postpaid active account

10. Ellen

Ellen Guest

Verizon doesn't lock out postpaid phones, the way they do with their prepaid phones. As long as the ESN of a postpaid phone isn't active on an account, it can be activated on a prepaid account.

11. leafsfan81

leafsfan81 Junior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Verizon has list of pre-paid ESN's that have not been activated. When you try to activate a pre-paid ESN, they will likely stop you. I used to use a pre-paid Samsung on my account. I called in [this was around June or July] and they were able to make the change, but they did mention that it was a pre-paid phone.

[I said something along the lines I bought the phone off of a friend]

Before I upgraded back in November, I tried to go back to this partuclar phone and they simply would not let me, citing that it was a pre-paid phone. And while I made a point to let them know that the phone was previously active on a post-paid account, mine in fact, it fell on deaf ears.

In short, can you use a pre-paid phone on a post-paid account? 85% of the time, no.