Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Question about the Verizon FREEUP service

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by aznmp3, Jul 21, 2002.

1. aznmp3

aznmp3 Junior Member

Hi everyone! I have a question about the Verizon FREEUP service. IS there an age limit to applying for this service? I'm under 18, but i desire to obtain the service. Also, can I buy a phone that is Verizon supported from EBAY and ask the Verizon people to set it up to FREEUP Service? What is the range of setup fees for this? Also can I purchase airtime BELOW the 30 dollar denomination such as 10 dollars? Where can I purchase this lower denomination of airtime?

I must be annoying by now [​IMG] Thanks

2. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Anyone of any age can purchase free-up. It is possible that you may be able to purchase a phone off of Ebay and use it. If you do it that way, I think your first card must be at least $30.

3. roamer1

roamer1 In Memoriam

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Palm Treo 680
    Wireless Provider(s):
    lots of orange, a little Little Rock blue
    No problem with age (unlike AT&T, who won't sell prepaid to the under-18 crowd for some odd, bell-shaped-head reason.)

Verizon will activate any phone compatible with their network that isn't locked to another carrier (Sprint, etc.)

I'm not famlilar with the recharge amounts.

-SC

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. tompug

tompug Junior Member

My Phone:
    Samsung X-427
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, T-mobile, Verizon
    I just reactivated my Startac on free-up 2 weeks ago , Verizon will activate any Verizon tri-model.

5. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    That's funny, when I went to my local VZW store to activate FREEUP last year. They asked me if I was 18, I said no, and they told me no. Even though I stated it's for FREEUP, they told me no again. Bunch of assholes, I went to radioshack which sucked, had to activate the damn thing myself. Of course now that I am a customer the ppl at teh VZW store are nice. Good luck at the store. To purchase lowe than 30$, you must do it with a credit card I think. Might as well just buy the cards, 30$ every 2 months, makes it only 15$ a month. Not bad I think.

6. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I've noticed that Radio Shack employees are usually more friendly to you then the reps at the main Verizon Wireless stores. Usually just a bunch of rude asses at the stores.

7. aznmp3

aznmp3 Junior Member

Oh cool. We'll I'm planning to obtain a Verizon FREEUP service in the near future. Can I have some opinions on if the LG TM510 is better or the Timeport P8767 or StarTac 7868W is better? If I order a phone from EBAY then go to Radio Shack to have it be activiated on FREEUP what is the costs of the FREEUP setup packages and how much is the setup fees? Thanks for your help [​IMG]

8. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Timeport P8767 or StarTac 7868W is better

Basically the same phone but the timeport wins in the cool factor with the tri color screen and the silver housing

LG 510 has the benefit of external caller id

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    The StarTAC 7868W is a good choice, unfortunely Verizon has discontinued the phone so it will be harder for you to get a hold of one.

10. aznmp3

aznmp3 Junior Member

I currently use an analog tracfone phone, with tracfone service. Obviously makes sense huh? What prepaid service would you recommend that I should use in NYC? Is switching a good idea? How is trafone to many of you? Sorry for digressing from the topic many times, but its just that I have many questions in need of being answer. Thank you [​IMG]

11. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    FREEUP from Verizon Wireless. I don't like TracFone to much their rates are high and you can get a better and cheaper pre-paid system through Verizon.

12. aznmp3

aznmp3 Junior Member

This is my last question :p Do I go to Western Union or Radio Shack/Verizon store to go and put in let's say 10 dollars into my freeup account? The duration I have read from past messages for less than 30 bucks tends to be 30 days. But then I'd rather spend 120 bucks a year for Freeup rather than 180 with 30 dollar amounts per every 60 days. How do you by any chance put in less than 30 dollars into your Verizon FREEUP account?

13. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    aznmp3,
    Verizon now sells $15 ReUp cards that have an expiration day of 30 days if that helps at all. For the record, FreeUp has been very good to me and I wholeheartitly reccomend it.

14. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Mooby, I havent seen those, of course I go to RadioShack to reup, its easier and closer. Why bother putting in 15$ every month, comes out the same as 30$ every two!? It's still a good deal though, better than those ATT/VS/Cingular plans with 50-60 minutes for twenty dollars a month!

15. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    Airb,
    Yeah I just get the 30 cards myself at the Verizon store(which is actually closer to me than Radioshack). While I really like FreeUp, I'm still not using my phone as much as I thought I would. Those minutes are beggining to pile up [​IMG]