Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Question about MPX200

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Vic Winters, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Vic Winters

Vic Winters New Member

Hey, I'm new to the site, and I could use some help. I did a search, and couldn't find what I was looking for despite some very informative posts. I just recently recieved an "unlocked" Motorolla MPX200 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5836083705) from a friend off of eBay. I have Cingular, and as I'm sure you're all aware, the MPX200 is an AT&T phone. Since it is supposedly unlocked, I'll I should have to do is put in my SIM card, and it should work. This is not the case. I tried my SIM card and my friends' SIM card from his V3. Instead of saying "Cingular" in the provider name space, it said "No Service". We were unable to make one phone call with this phone. So we took it to a local Cingular store in our area. The guy there tried his SIM card too without any luck. He mentioned something about Cingular towers being 850/1900MHz and AT&T towers being 800/1900MHz and that Cingular SIM cards don't work in AT&T phones. And how everyone who came over from AT&T had to buy all new equipment and such.

So my questions are these:

Doesn't unlocked mean, if the SIM card fits, the phone will work?

Since AT&T and Cingular merged, shouldn't this phone be able to pick up both companies towers?

Would this be considered false advertising on eBay?

Would I be better off just getting a v551?

2. ShoresGuy

ShoresGuy Euer WA Experte in Europa

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    E-Plus (BASE 12 month flatrate)/Vodafone Germany
    1) Doesn't unlocked mean, if the SIM card fits, the phone will work?

Yes, that is definitely the case.

2) Since AT&T and Cingular merged, shouldn't this phone be able to pick up both companies towers?

It depends on the market you're using the phone in. The MPx200 is a GSM 900/1800/1900 handset only so if you're in a former AT&T or current Cingular GSM 850/1900 market you will not pick up the GSM 850 band. You would need the successor model, the MPX220 which is quadband.

3) Would this be considered false advertising on eBay?

It depends on whether the seller made or didn't make you aware of the fact that the phone was unlocked and whether it was also a GSM 900/1800/1900 handset. At any rate, you should give the seller the appropriate feedback if you feel that this was not what was listed in the auction info.

4) Would I be better off just getting a v551?

That depends on whether you want a regular quadband Motorola handset without Windows Mobile 2003. If you really want a quadband handset with WM2003, you should consider the MPx220.

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=478

Hope this helps,

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Vic Winters

Vic Winters New Member

Thank you very much. That does help explain alot.

4. ShoresGuy

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Glad I could help, there is a slight differentation to be made to question #4. There are smartphones with Windows Mobile 2003 and there are also full-fledged PocketPC PDA/phones with either Windows Mobile 2003 or Windows Mobile 5. The MPx220 is a Windows smartphone sold under Motorola and other brands while a PocketPC is sold under different names as well.

Many Windows smartphones and PocketPCs are made by a company based in Taiwan called HTC (High Tech Computers). Here is a listing of their models sold in the US and around the world:

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/manufacturer.php?m=25
    http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index.php?pagename=HTC_PhoneModels

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Good info and tips Shores...;)

if i may add, if you're going to go with another handset, go with the v551 instead of the MPX220, though it is a very nice phone with alot of features, this model was doomed with software glitches from the start, even the earpiece volume is too low...just my 2centavos.

6. ShoresGuy

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The low earpiece volume seems to be a consistent problem, my V525's earpiece volume is too low whenever I use it in a loud place. Needless to say, I'll try to change that by seem editing the phone.

7. Tony E!

Tony E! Retired Mod

My Phone:
    iPhone 6 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yes i need to do the same with my Razr...

8. ShoresGuy

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The only thing is that really eluding me is how to get Field Test Mode activated. I know I have to seem edit the hex entries in Offset 44, bits 4-7 but I haven't figured how to do that just yet.