Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Question about cell tower numbering

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Jay2TheRescue, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    I'm going to quote a post I made in the gallery earlier today, but I feel it will get more exposure here so I'll recopy it and elaborate further...

Gallery post - http://gallery.wirelessadvisor.com/showimage.php?i=41&catid=newposts&cutoffdate=1

What exactly is the ARFCN#? Actually, if someone knew what the letters stood for I think it would be self-explanatory.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    ARFCN = Absolute RF Channel Number
    That's the control channel number.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Jay2TheRescue

Jay2TheRescue Resident Spamslayer

My Phone:
    Pixel 4a 5G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&Tingular 310-410
    Thanks for the quick reply, is that assigned to a particular tower, or can a tower's number change on a regular basis?

4. pbw

pbw Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6016i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, formerly Alltel
    YEah. This one I can answer. Especially since Bob got the ARFCN thing. Anyway channel numbers are not unique, they will repeater but there is a certain area of seperation. Normally, I have not seen the control channel change unless the carrier moves a site out of its current LAC and into another LAC. If the carrier changes a cell LAC then the control channels and BSIC values also change. Annoying when you collect data from carriers like T-Mobile who seem to change the LAC of all sites every six months.

5. hillbilly44

hillbilly44 Senior Member

The control channel doesn't always change when the LAC (location area code) changes. It usually stays the same unless they are also doing a retune. A LAC change is due to a cell site being "rehomed" to a new BSC so if a cell is placed on a new LAC that means that the network is growing or caring more traffic. :cool2:

6. pbw

pbw Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6016i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, formerly Alltel
    Word up! I should have prefixed my statements with "not an engineer". All I know is that when VoiceStream went from a lot of small sized LACs to a handful of large LACs they changed all of the control channels and BSICs at each site. I guess this was coincidental? I had seen Triton PCS do the same thing (only their LAC changes are not so frequent). Also why does VoiceStream not reuse LAC numbers but other carriers do?

7. hillbilly44

pbw;

The reason for large LACs is the scalibility of the newer BSC (Base station controllers). They can handle more cell sites than the older models so the LAC boundries are larger. As far as changing BSICs and control channels I don't have a clue why they do that with a rehome. The LAC numbering probably has to do with the BSC configurations.:biggrin:

8. ShoresGuy

ShoresGuy Euer WA Experte in Europa

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    E-Plus (BASE 12 month flatrate)/Vodafone Germany
    What is a SID? Is this the Switch ID?

9. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity

My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Here is some addiional info:

ARFCN for 850/900 GSM, 1-124.

for 1800 GSM, 512-885

for 1900 GSM, 512-810

10. kashkanantambu

kashkanantambu Junior Member

My Phone:
    Palm Treo 700w
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    A SID is the acronym for System Idendification It is a five digit number that indicates what area a phone is in.:cool:

11. club333

club333 New Member

I live in South Jersey. Is there a web site that shows the Cingular cell towers with their numbers ? For example, where is Cingular Cell Tower #000000 located ?

12. hillbilly44

Actually in a GSM network you use NMC for System Identification. SID is used with TDMA or CDMA networks. Also the LAC (location area code) shows where you are in the network (plus allows you access to it) and is assigned to a BSC (Base Station Controller). The channel you are seeing is for the sector (in idle mode) but in a GSM network you frequency hop so the actual channel will change while you are on a phone call.;)

13. ShoresGuy

ShoresGuy Euer WA Experte in Europa

My Phone:
    HTC/T-Mobile MDA II PPC
    Wireless Provider(s):
    E-Plus (BASE 12 month flatrate)/Vodafone Germany
    Ok so will this channel change only apply to either GSM 900 or GSM 1800 and GSM 850 or GSM 1900 meaning that the change will occur within one band only if the provider uses GSM 900/1800 or GSM 850/1900. Furthermore, does this also lend creedence (credibility) to the debated topic of whether a handoff occurs between bands or between different network standards (GSM to UMTS handoff and vice-versa)?