Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Question about Alltel / Verizon BDA

Discussion in 'Southern US Wireless Forum' started by TW5, Jul 19, 2008.

1. TW5

TW5 New Member

I currently have service Alltel, including a wireless internet. I know that Alltel uses 800 Mhz and Verizon uses 1900 Mhz. My issue is I am wanting to purchase a NON DUAL band BDA from Cellphone Mate and am wanting to see which Mhz I should buy. I've verified that in the arean the frequencies are 800 Mhz for Alltel and 1900 for Verizon. It was explained to me buy a cellular engineer, that the dual band BDA's split the dB's, i.e., 50 dB BDA = 25 dB for 800 and 25 dB for 1900. I have an existing dual band 50 dB BDA but want to upgrade to a single frequency 70 dB BDA.

OK, since Verizon is buying Alltel, what frequency BDA should I purchase so that I can continue to use my Alltel and make it through the merger and then using it on Verizon's? HELP! I dont want to have to purchase 2 BDA's!

Zip Code in the area is 32465 / 32356

#1 TW5, Jul 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  2. hillbilly44

hillbilly44 Senior Member

First of all you would be better off with the dual band BDA, because even if the FCC & DOJ approve the purchase of Alltel there's a good chance they (DOJ) will require them to divest spectrum in areas. Second if they do allow the merger many places Verizon has both 850mhz & 1900Mhz spectrum they use the 1900 for EVDO (data) so you would need 1900 to do wireless internet. One thing you didn't tell is why you want to use a 70dB BDA. If you're in a weak but usable signal area if you introduce more power into the system you can end up with less usable signal (you increase the noise floor of the donating site), which can make the local engineers very angry (you are repeating their licensed frequencies). So you might be better off keeping what you have. Hope this helps. Good luck.:cool:

3. Telekom

Telekom Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 5310, iPhone 3G[S]
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile US, Fido CA, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    If you have a choice you're always better off getting a dual band phone. It's also probable that the carrier will not activate a handset that is not dual band capable as that would make your phone either not work or force you to roam on another carrier if the carrier was one or the other in the area that you visit (850 or 1900.)

4. spleck

spleck Tool

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    If VZW doesn't already have 850 in that area, then there is very little to stop them from getting it from the Alltel merger. I don't think any divestitures in that case will preclude them from keeping the 850.
    That's probably the more important issue. Otherwise you'll be stuck with 1xRTT data that would normally max at 144kpbs, probably less through a repeater.

Can anyone confirm that a dual-band 25 dB/band amp is marketed as a 50 dB? That sounds a little shady to me. Also, going from 25 dB to 70 dB seems like a HUGE jump. That's not consumer level equipment is it?

If you're able to get by with a 25 dB amp, I would think that a ~30 dB amp would be more than enough. Are there any other options for dual band amps?

5. TW5

TW5 New Member

The BDA that I currently have is dual band made by Wilson and it is marketed as a 50dB Amp. The cell engineer from (Cellular Solutions) that I spoke with told me that it splits the power into 25dB for each frequency. I am not absolutely certain about this.

The reason for the BDA upgrade is the area that this place is in there is zero, and I mean zero service among any providers. I have an external yaggi pointing towards the nearest cell tower, approx 15-20 miles away. I get full serivce inside the house if I am within 15 feet of the inside wireless dome antennae, but the signal fades off extremely fast. I would like to replace the BDA equipment I have now so I can be anywhere in the house and use a cell phone / internet. I will need the fastest data transport possible since I will need to be able to work as well.

So is the answer to my situation is for me to buy two seperate bda's, one at 800 and one at 1900?

Thanks for all the help.....

6. hillbilly44

If you buy BDA's for each band you'll still need a combiner/splitter to make it work. When you use this however you'll lose anywhere from 3 to 7dB. Also, since you're 15-20 miles from the nearest tower you're going to get both cell breathing and signal fade from the curvature of the earth. It sound like you'll need something better than the Wilson system but unfortunately it's gonna cost more. Most good hi-power BDA's that'll work in you're situation are $3-4,000 because you need to not only boost the downlink (transmit) but the uplink (recieve) as well. I'll check and see who makes the best one for your situation.:cool:

7. TW5

TW5 New Member

Thanks! I will be looking forward to your reply.

8. hillbilly44

TW5;

Here's a couple of places to look, first try MaximumSignal.com or Andrew (Commscope) If I can find out others I'll let you know.:browani: