Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Question about Alltel Phones NAM 1 & 2, Auto A or B

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by JasonWells, Aug 1, 2007.

1. JasonWells

JasonWells Junior Member

My Phone:
    AT&T i phone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, VZW
    People in this area (where MWW just officially changed to Alltel) are hot for the new Alltel phones. Several family members have just aqcuired new Alltel phones. I have played with the new phones and notice they give the user the options of NAM1 or NAM2 and for roaming, Automatic A or B!! In my Alltel Nokia, these options are not available, unless I enter the programming. Does anyone have some info as to what a user can do with these different settings? In particular, can one choose the A-side or B-side carrier through this, or what else? In an area where Sprint is the priority roaming partner and preferred on the PRL, can these new features allow the user to set it to prefer like Verizon? Any info is appreciated.

2. royc

royc Junior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola V262
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Alltel)
    Automatic A and Automatic B tell the phone which band to go to if there is no signal available from any system listed in the PRL. You cannot override the PRL with automatic A and B. They are "last resort" settings. My Alltel phones don't have automatic A and B. The phones will camp on whichever band the home SID is on if no signal is recognized by the PRL.

NAM2 is more useful. It gives you a way to override the PRL when it insists on camping on a weak and useless signal that's higher in priority rather than a stronger signal that's lower in priority.

Let say you're in Chicago and you're having trouble with Sprint, Alltel's preferred roaming partner there. You can program NAM2 with SID 20 (Verizon) as your home SID, switch to NAM2 and set the phone to "home only". Your phone will switch to Verizon and stay there until you change your settings.

royc

3. JasonWells

JasonWells Junior Member

My Phone:
    AT&T i phone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T, VZW
    Thank you for the help! Currently, I have been able to use NAM 2 (only by entering the programming mode-enable NAM2 and disable NAM1) on my Nokia 2865i, and under network I select either Automatic A or B. From all my testing, Auto A uses the A license carrier and Auto B uses the B license carrier. The PRL for NAM 2 is 0, and there aren't any values but 0 in the SID/NID settings. This has been quite useful, except in areas where AT&T has a license, then it uses only Analog if I use them, but usually Verizon for the other. In SD, Auto A uses Alltel and Auto B is VZW. In SW MN AUTO A is the new Unicel and Auto B is Alltel.

Anyway, I very much like this feature and was hoping I could do it with any new phone I get. If the PRL for NAM2 is 0, maybe it will do this just fine. :confused:

Thanks for the help!! If I must go with Unicel, I would like to get a Moto V710 to do the same, or likewise with a new Alltel phone.