Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Q west phone to Verizon

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by tourman, Jul 29, 2002.

1. tourman

tourman Member

I just purchased a Samsung SCH-t300 phone from Ebay.It said it will work on Q west and verizon networks.Is this true.I want to set up on Verizon.....

2. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    I saw those auctions too. I almost jumped on one but I'm still the high bidder an auction for an N150 so I didn't want to bid unless I get outbid on the N150. In any case, the description said that they will activate on to work on Verizon and if it didn't you could return it and get your money back minus shipping. If I get outbid on the N150 I think I'm gonna try and get a T300 from one of those auctions.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

yeah i got something like this on ebay. it doesn't work. it will seek qwest network, not verizon. you can't use *228 if it doesn't seek verizon signal even if you told the cs your esn!

4. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Anonymous,
    Thanks for the tip. I'll avoid those auctions then.

5. Chalumeau77

Chalumeau77 New Member

No, IT DOES WORK. I have a QWest T300 and I managed to convert it to Verizon's network. You the info you need is in the Yahoo T300 user group. The NAM needs to be changed so that the phone will pick up Verizon's tower. Then *228 will work after you give Verizon your ESN number. Subscribe to the Yahoo T300 user group at http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/Samsung_t300

Basically you need to change to a known Verizon SID so that it will pick up Verizon's tower. The instruction docs are in the group. Have fun.

6. coalminer

coalminer Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Tour
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    One more thing, you have to add 2 digits to the end, *2280x, x depending on what band Verizon is in your area, 0=cellular A, 1=cellular B, 2-7 for the 6 pcs bands. And also if there is a MSL on the phone, you have to change it to all zeros or Verizons over the air programming wont work.

7. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    So if I were to get one of the ebay phones to use with my FreeUp account, would I have to go through that programming myself(the process in the PDF from the yahoo group?). If so I think it's a bit too complicated for me and I'd have to pass. If not, I might go ahead and give one of the T300s a shot.

8. tourman

tourman Member

Spoke with CS again today.They assured it will work.Just have to program.Thay said as long as it is CDMA dual band tri-mode it will work...........

9. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I have also been seeing alot of those on e-bay lately.

Tourman: Let us know the results.

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Chalumeau77

Chalumeau77 New Member

I did *228 and it work just fine w/o the *228xx. Never had to deal with it. If you do, the CS will tell you when you give them the ESN. The CS I called actually wanted to guide me through the prog process and I told her I'll be fine. The QWest T300 most people in the Yahoo group has encountered usually has 000000 as the MSL code. So you won't have any problems getting in to the NAM settings. Also, you can ask people in the T300 groups if you encouter problems with the NAM prog. Most of them are really helpful.

One thing, make sure that you wait a couple of hours before you do *228. Apparently the ESN change have to be done with paper by the CS and then they will send it over to the dept where it is done. This only applies to FreeUP only. I know this is strange that VZW can be so "low-tech" in dealing w/this, but this is what the CS told me. Keep on trying *228 and don't give up after the 1st hour. Mine took 4 hrs before it was changed!

I thought it was hard at first, but it really isn't.

11. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sweet, I'm gonna get the T300 as someone outbid me on the N150. Thanks for the help all!
    Edit-Went ahead and did a buy it now for one as I'm impatient and didn't mind paying a slight premium [​IMG] Looks like I'll be selling my trusty 2135 soon [​IMG]

12. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Mooby tell me how it goes.....I want one of those T300's too! lol, keep us (or just me!) informed of how it worked.

13. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Will do Airb. While I don't have major complaints about my 2135, it's just not a very comfortable unit to use even for a quick conversation. Plus, it'll be nice to have a flip phone as it'll be a bit closer to my preferred stlye, the clamshell.

14. Chalumeau77

Chalumeau77 New Member

Wish you all the luck Mooby. This is exactly what I did. I am a happy FreeUp user with a Qwest T300 phone.

I just remembered why I did not have to fuss with *228xx! It was because my Qwest T300 had a VZW SID already programmed. I was playing around with *228xx and picked up AllTel and Sprint! When you get the phone, go into NAM1 and change your phone number and leave everything the same. Then try *22801 (that is for VZW I believe). Else ask the CS, they will guide you through step by step. Enjoy!

15. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Got it today, this phone makes my 2135 seem huge! It's almost a bit too small for my fat thumbs but that's a minor qualm. I had no trouble getting it programmed and it only took about 10 minutes with the very friendly CS girl. Now I just need to move my contacts to my new one and reset the old one. Thanks again for all the help.

16. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Edit- a quick look in the manual shows that it meant that voice privacy was enabled but not available.

17. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    So how do I reset my 2135? I've already made the ESN switch so I assume Verizon will do their part but my phone number is still showing up in my old phone. Do I *228 and choose program or do I do something else? Thanks for any info.

18. Chalumeau77

Chalumeau77 New Member

I was quite taken aback when I first got my T300 too. It was so much smaller than I expected, but nice. About the 2135, I just sold mine on Ebay and didn't worry about the phone number. When someone else switches to your 2135, they will overwrite the number. I understand your concern though because I was a little worried too. You know, you can call up VZW CS and ask them how to get into the NAM prog on 2135 and tell them that you just need to change the phone no on the 2135 before selling it to a friend. BTW, *228 won't work on your deactivated 2135 if you haven't found out already.

So, do you like your T300? You should try your VM and in the mail kit menu. If it is anything like mine, it will be prog to call *86 for VM. Try it, if you don't mind and see if you get through and if you get charged for calling VM. Hopefully not! [​IMG]

19. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I think I'm gonna stop by a Verizon store after work tonight to see if I can just have one of the techs blank my number out of the phone. If not I guess I'll just sell it like that. *86 still doesn't work for me but that's fine. I've noticed the T300 isn't quite as user friendly as the 2135 was but after a bid of exploring I'm now fully accustomed to it. Also, in the parking lot at my work, I would get zero or 1 bar of signal strentgh(even with the antenna extended) on the 2135. On the T300 I get 2 or 3(without even extending the antenna). The T300 still falls victim to the deadspot at my friend's house but it's nice to know overall it's reception is better. On a sidenote, how do you set the alarm on this thing? Do you have to setup an event in the scheduler first?

20. Chalumeau77

Chalumeau77 New Member

You can set the alarm by Menu - 4 - 8 (it's in the scheduler, you'll have to scroll down to item 8). You are right that the T300 isn't as user friendly as 2135, but heck w/all the extra features of the T300, that's a price I'm willing to pay. For most of us who are intuitive learners, it's not too hard to get accustomed to the T300 operations. Took me a couple of days to start getting used to using Menu - [number] - [number] instead of the joystick. You can navigate much faster using the number keypad if you are in a hurry. The T300 is actually targeted at power users who are more business oriented. That's why with the T300, you get up to 500 address book! Yikes, I don't even have that many friends! [​IMG]

If you have questions, always dig around the Yahoo group first. Most of the time, you'll find your questions answered there already. One caution about the T300. When you do *228 (OTA), don't select option 2 or "update your PRL". This is because of a glitch with the T300 software such that when you just update your PRL only (option 2), it will change your lock code to some number WHEN YOU REBOOT the phone. So if you set you T300 to lock at reboot/power on, then you are really screwed. The fix to that problem is, choose option 1 (to program your phone- it will include PRL update automatically), or don't set your phone to lock at reboot. If you do get locked out, do *228 option 1 to prog your phone and it will reset your lock code to the last 4 digit of your phone number. Hope you are enjoying your new phone! [​IMG]

21. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Mooby

You bought one of the quest t-300's on e-bay? am I correct?
    If so rate the seller of the phone. I see that there are many of these auctions on e-bay

Give me your overall impression of the phone?

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  22. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Jack, I did indeed get one of the Olympics phones. The seller is a tech and was able to burn the Verizon ROM into the phone. It boots up with a Verizon screen and works just fine with my FreeUp account. Making the change was simple too. Call clarity is good, signal strentgh is very good and I like the design. Although, like I said, my 2135 was easier to use but the Samsung is still pretty good in that department. The seller couldn't have been better. He shipped the phone on Friday and I had it monday. It arrived safely and was packed away in the original box with all manuals etc. Overall I'm very glad I did this. The 2135 was a nice starter phone but I love the T300 if soley for the reason I'll never have to manually lock the keypad again rather just close the flip.

23. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Glad that you are happy with the phone.

I have always liked the looks of the t-300 and heard they were a good phone.

Jack

24. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Stopped by the Verizon store to see if they could get my phone number out of the 2135. They couldn't figure it out either. They couldn't get into the security screen as they couldn't figure out what the six digit security code was. They said it won't be a problem for a new person to activate it and that since the phone is no longer actually tied to my account it's no big deal. So I'll see how the ebay auction goes.

25. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Glad you like it Mooby! On Ebay there is pretty much two sellers selling the Qwest/Olympics t300. One guy has Verizon burned into it, it starts up as reading Verizon, that seems to be the way to go.