Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Purchasing Phones and Contracts at Authorized Dealerships

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by SweetBoXx, Apr 12, 2002.

1. SweetBoXx

SweetBoXx Junior Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    In March 2001, I purchased a Audiovox CDMA 3300 MCI Worldcom Flip phone at Beepers USA with a 1 year contract with MCIWorldcom. The contract explicitly said 200 weekday minutes and 2000 weekend minutes.
    The first few months I hadn't received a bill, I called them about it, and while I had them on the phone, I asked them to verify my contracted plan. Imagine my surprise when the rep told me all I had was the 200 minutes!!! No 2000 weekend minutes!! Just 200 weekday minutes!!. They were nice enough to add on 1500 minutes for me but I still did not get what I thought I was paying for. They also sent Beepers a letter and called the gentleman, and I also turned him into Consumer Affairs. Apparently I was not the first complaintant about this authorized dealer. So when you go to purchase a phone and contract at an authorized dealership, even though the contract says what the dealer writes, when you get home, and when the phone is activated, you call the wireless company and demand a rundown of your contract and what exactly you are getting for your money and the exact cost. Dont get stung like I did. Fortunately, MCI was nice enough to offer me the 1500 minutes as a courtesy because they wanted me to remain as a customer. I just renewed with them and upgraded my service to 350 weekday minutes and 3350 night/weekend minutes. I have absolutely no problem with their billing, their customer service has been great, there are no dropped calls, the sound is clear and my phone works everywhere.

SweetBoXx [​IMG]

2. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    MCI Worldcom has a lot of problems, dealerships or not. Many regard them as the worst cellular service in the country and its easy to see why if you had been a longer member of this board you would have read the many complaints about MCI posted on this board. Another thing is MCI doesn't have there own service they just re-sell Verizon's, Cingular's, and etc... and put there own name on it. I'm glad you got it straighted out though and are one of the few MCI people that are actually happy with there service. On a note authorized dealers can be a really good place to buy a wireless phone, you just have to make sure you buy from one that's well known and sells only 1 provider. I bought my SunCom service through an authorized dealer at the mall called Tennessee Communications and I have had no problem with my service or phone I am very happy with it.

3. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    A couple of comments

sweetbox must be using mci through verizon/alltel that is why she is getting good phone service.

Also tdan. there are +'s ans -'s to buying your phone from a authorized reseller. I also think that going to a reseller with more then one provider is a good thing because they can accruately tell you which service would fit your needs. When there is only one service them telling you that theirs is the best and it might not be. authorized seller sometimes have better prices.

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

I consider not getting a bill for the first few months a billing problem. And hey I work for a dealer authorized for Voicestream, ATT, Verizon, and Nextel. We also have tracfone (prepaid) and Vodafone (Europe).

5. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    According to a WorldComm employee who used to frequent these forums, those delayed billing problems are a thing of past. I'd be interested in hearing from SweetBoxx if she is still having those problems or when she started getting regular monthly statements.

6. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I feel the opposite about buying from dealer's that sell multiple services. From my experience they get there companies mixed up. I had a woman that worked at The Cellular Group that sells SunCom, ALLTEL, and Cingular Wireless telling me all sorts of things then I realized I think she was getting them mixed up with ALLTEL. When you have a dealer just selling one service they seem to know more then the one's that have to know them all.

7. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I agree that some of the authorized phone places with multiple phones can get their information confused. You also have the possibility of a sales associate getting confused only selling one system and if you are an educated consumer you might know the plans better then they do.

Alot of it has to do with the salespersons knowledge of the product they sell. Also the reseller makes a big difference. Tdan you have probilly heard of United Wireless they sell 5 providers and they are not to bad in cleveland ohio. I still personally like to go directly through the company themselfs unless there offer is so spectacular that the company themselfs can not offer it through their own stores

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    No I've never heard of United Wireless, I don't believe they are down here. We have a ton of reseller's down here though, I actually bought my SunCom service from a dealer in the mall (Tennessee Communications) and I think they are quite knowlegeable. They really seem to know just as much as the main SunCom building in Kingsport, infact with one customer service issue I actually got more out of them then I did by going to the main building.

9. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Actually tdan United wireless is based out of cleveland ohio. and is a ohio company

Jack

10. ComicalMoodyDan

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Makes sense then I've never even been to Ohio. [​IMG]

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Kevin,

WorldComm's problems haven't gone away.

Their billing is still a mess -- at least for me.
    But it's mostly charges for calls I never made or received -- including some VERY long ones that incorrectly exhausted my minutes.

We've complained and gotten credit in most cases -- but I'm sure they've flagged my account as a trtoublemaker since they now question every complaint much more than they did. I've sent complaints to our local Attorney General and local Consumer Affairs gotten form replys that cellular billing problems are one of the most common complaints they get.

We'll be leaving WorldComm as soon as the contract is up in a few months.

12. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Anonymous, Thanks for the WorldCom update.

13. Guppy

Guppy New Member

I had a similar problem with when I signed on with CellularOne (Cingular), with PCS Smartmart acting as an authorized dealership. At the time I purchased my phone, I also signed a contract for three years insurance on my phone. About a year and a half later, my phone breaks -- at which time I find out my insurance was with "PCS Smartmart Eastern States Wireless LLC", not Cingular.

Unfortunately, PCS Smartmart has since closed down on the East coast where I live. An apparently separate part of the company that's still operating on the West coast referred me to another company called Car-Tel, which bought some of PCS Smartmart's stores. They were kind enough to handle my claim for me (While pointing out repeatedly that they didn't actually have an obligation to do so). I got my phone back in working order -- along with a $90 charge on my credit card. Turns out my insurance looks like it's worth about as much as the paper it's printed on.

I could probably pursue the matter further, but I'm not even sure who, if anyone, is actually legally responsible for my insurance.

14. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Guppy that sucks

Jack