Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Problem with Dropped Calls

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Fritz, Oct 24, 2001.

1. Fritz

Fritz New Member

I am an AT&T digital subscriber in Cambridge, MA (Boston) and my calls get dropped frequently - usually while I am stationary in my apartment. I have changed phones and the problem persists. Each time I'm dropped, the service is crystal clear (full signal readings on the LCD), then the call drops abruptly.

My annual agreement is up in two weeks and I'm trying to find out if the problem can be attributed to the service provider, the phone, or the position of my apartment relative to a signal tower (or even airplane traffic overhead).

Regarding the phone - no phone seems to solve the problem. (I have Nokia 5260)
    Regarding the signal - it is usually full strength in my apartment before cut-off
    Regarding the carrier - I hear they are one of the best in the Boston area and I'm nervous about changing to an inferior carrier.

Is there anything else I can try before renewing my contract? I have visited retail stores and no one has been even slightly helpful. I would appreciate any reply that could help me resolve or at least narrow down the problem.

Thank you.

2. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    Hi Fritz,

I've done some reading on the subject. It seems to come up regularly in conversations and postings. All carriers seem to have this issue. If you notice that it happens after a certain duration into the call, it may be tower that is handling the call has problems. As mobile users travel in/out of the cell site, a particular call can be dropped due to site overload. Try timing the call to see if it is related to a certain duration. If so, pass that info to ATT. If not, it may be related to the number of calls being handled at any particular moment.

ATT is switching to GSM which will eventually go to W-CDMA. CDMA is capable of handling a great deal more calls than the current TDMA. Since ATT plans on using the 1900MHz band for GSM and W-CDMA, you may actually experience degradation of signal unless there are towers within close proximity of our home.

I am a long-time subscriber of ATT and think there service is top-notch. But if you are having problems the only other choice I would recommend would be Verizon.

Kevin

3. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

Give ATT a call. They should be able to check their system to see if there are any tower problems in your area.

4. Leah

Leah Junior Member

Yeah, if you give AT&T a call, let them know all of the details, they will put in a "trouble ticket" for you. Be specific when talking with them, normally a resolution is reached in less than 10 business days. Its worth a shot!

One question to ask yourself...Does it happen EVERYWHERE, ALL OF THE TIME??? If 'yes', then it is probably your phone, if 'No', then it is more than likely the service in that particular area.

5. Buzz

Buzz New Member

Kevin is right, the industry standard for dropped calls is 2%. Meaning 2% of the time you will drop a call, NOT 2% of your calls but 2% of the time. Most companies have areas that are marginal. I would stick with AT&T if you sense it averages about 2%.