Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

PRL vs IRDB, Verizon National Vs. Cingular National., Headache!

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I have been browsing through the Verizon Newsgroups and am perplexed at the complexities involved with roaming under the America's Choice Plan. The users seem to always be talking about PRL this, PRL that, what PRL do you have, etc. Why are customer's constantly worried about what PRL version they are using? Within the Cingular/ATT groups there is little talk about IRDB updates, etc., why then do Verizon customers have to be concerned about this database when travelling through the country? Does the phone not recognize which towers are home, as opposed to roam/foreign (Sprint) ?? Why do customers still have to rely upon the Roaming Indicator on their CDMA handsets to determine whether they are being charged roaming fees, or not, unlike with Cingular's National Plan structure? Finally, how often should users hit *221 to update their roaming database, and with regards to TDMA users how often should they visit their local store for an IRDB update?

2. Malial

Malial Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola v710
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Well...It's not really a headache. (my perspective is as a Verizon user)

You've got to realize that the people that frequent alt.cellular.verizon and such newsgroups, and wireless forums in general, tend to be really into their cell phones.

As such, they (me included) like to get the best possible performance from their phone. About the only thing a subscriber has control over is updating their PRL. It's something we can do, or choose not to do. It's a little control we have...(very little in the grand scheme of things).

There are many many customers who have never heard of PRL, and never update their PRL and continue to have no problems with their phones and enjoy great cellular service, and will go on ignorant (not in a bad way) of the much discussed PRL update. They won't be worse without it.

The PRL updates that Verizon has released usually have very minor changes in them, and unless you happen to be in the right place with the right phone on the right plan, you would never notice the change.

Updating PRL's is recommended to be done about once a month. If you don't do it, is your phone going to start smoking and ultimately explode? Unlikely...

3. jason

jason Member

Hmm - I get IRDB updates OTA. I don't even think about them. I do know that an IRDB can be market and provider specific - eg I have an ATT 850/1900 mHz Philadelphia IRDB. The other thing I have noticed on the ATT newsgroups which you never see on the CDMA ngs is people trying to force their phone onto manually selecting the nonpreferred network by putting the phone in the microwave or something. SPCS and Verizon folks will assume - "I've got a bad prl - I need to call for an update."

hmm

jason

4. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    If Verizon doesn't tell you to worry about it, then forget it exists!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...