Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

PRL updates for Nextel?

Discussion in 'Central US Wireless Forum' started by AZO, Aug 28, 2003.

1. AZO

AZO Junior Member

My Phone:
    Kyocera Slider
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I just noticed I've never seen a notice for a PRL update for Nextel. Do they ever need to update their PRL's?

Thanks,
    Lynn

2. GoodmanR

GoodmanR Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (Voice) + T-Mobile (Blackberry)
    Not really. All the PRL does is order and authorize roaming on other carriers networks. Nextel is one of a small number of iden carriers (save southern linc, the only major US one) so there really just arent any roaming agreements that they have in place. so without roaming agreements, there is no need for a PRL really.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. AZO

AZO Junior Member

My Phone:
    Kyocera Slider
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Thanks, GoodmanR. Wow. They really are on their own, aren't they? My dad has Nextel and his phone wouldn't work throughout the entire UP of Michigan. He kept trying all the way from the Porcupine Mountains to Traverse City before he could finally call home. Sure seems like a waste to me. He's not paying much less for his service than I am for Alltel.

Lynn

4. MrFlashport

MrFlashport Junior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo RL2000 Sprint PCS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Southern LINC
    Nextel is NOT, I repeat, NOT a cellular or PCS provider. They are a two-way radio company that operate an enhanced specialized mobile radio (ESMR) network. iDEN is NOT a cellular or PCS system, it is a two-way radio network.

here is some more info on the latest iDEN platform:

http://www.motorola.com/cgiss/harmony/harmony_overview.shtml

There is no "roaming" per se because so few people (other than Nextel) operate iDEN/Harmony systems. Southern LINC bought iDEN in 1993 to replace their analog Motorola SmartZone trunking radio system that Southern Company (power) used for their operations in the southeast. They outgrew the analog system and replaced it with a digital one (iDEN). Southern LINC is only sold to business users, and they still "act" like an SMR. SMR's are licensed differently than cellular companies because they serve a different purpose, (ie repair services, taxis, delivery companies, security firms, etc) that need radio communications. Nextel truly is "on their own" because most other iDEN systems are privately owned and maintained for their own users and they don't want "roamers" using their system.

Other major companies that operate iDEN radio systems:

http://www.arinc.com/products/voice_data_comm/avinet/wireless_dispatch.html
    http://www.southernlinc.com

As you can see, iDEN is designed primarily for business communications and not a cellphone system. That is why there are no "roaming" on other systems. Nextel is more like a "walkie-talkie" that can "act" like a phone (in the SMR world, this is called a telephone interconnect).

5. AgentSmith

AgentSmith Junior Member

First off, MrFlashport....WORD! Very eloquent. Nextel is the "Walkie Talkie with cellular service"...as advertisted *lol*

Second, PRL as you forementioned is a Preferred Roaming List...which in layman's terms adds 1) New Cell Sites that become active from the parent company and 2) Also new roaming agreements that were signed from other companies. There is no cost to update your PRL, and of course it's a good habit to do every so often (like 2 months or so.)

Even if there is no change to the size of the network, PRL's are still a good idea to do because additions are always being done to the existing size of a company's network. For example, Verizon Wireless just activated a new site down by MSU to help with the large amount of traffic that has been noticed. Alltel, making the switch to CDMA is another.

6. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    PRLs do not add new cell sites. They add new SIDs. Notice that both PRL and IRDB include the word roaming in their names. Its a list of prefered carriers to roam off of, not a list of where towers are etc...so therefor, new towers added by nextel or verizon will carry the same sid as the old towers so there is no need for a change in software.

And flashport, where did that rant about nextel being a radio service provider coem from. You are correct, tahts what they are...but i dont see where that all came from in this thread

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. MrFlashport

MrFlashport Junior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo RL2000 Sprint PCS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Southern LINC
    Umm, GoodmanR, the question was did Nextel have PRL updates to which the answer is no and I took the time to explain WHY they don't do "PRL" updates because only cellular and PCS systems support PRL/IRDB not iDEN. In the radio world, we call it affiliating on another system. with iDEN ulike cellular and PCS, you have to have ALL the system information programmed into the subscriber unit (network ID, control channels, connect tone (for analog) system ID, group ID, etc) for EACH and EVERY system your radio is authorized to operate on. Cellular systems and PCS phones operate on standardized control channels, the PRL and IRDB limit your unit to seek only those system your home provider allows you to have access on. With iDEN, system selection is manually done, because it is a 2-way radio, the user must initiate a system change. It has been done this way since the dawn of 2-way radio repeater/trunking systems. You leave the coverage area of one system, you change to another one. That is where iDEN differs from cellular and PCS of today- your cellular/PCS phone can automatically switch systems, networks, etc seamlessly without user intervention.

No rant intended. If Nextel would quit impersonating a cellphone company and leading users to think that is what they are buying, people would not end up with service that doesn't work in areas they expect it to. They fail to mention that they are not a radio network licensed and designed for business communications, and many people end up dissatisified with coverage and capability because they thought they were buying a celphone.

8. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    i hate nextel too but going off on them wasnt necessary.

9. AgentSmith

AgentSmith Junior Member

Yes, it does add a new SID for new roaming agreement. Bad terminology on my part! Dunno why I said that....must be those 60 hours in a 24 hour day work weeks [​IMG]

10. GoodmanR

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    A cellular PRL does add new SID's, but does not add new cell sites or help at all with native coverage as you said.

11. AgentSmith

AgentSmith Junior Member

Right, like I said before hand...you are right about the PRL updating the SID listings. And yes you are correct about a PRL NOT updating parent company coverage.

Would you also like a cookie for point out errorneous mistakes? Perhaps a nice glass of milk??? [​IMG]