Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Prepaid Verizon Hotspot as inexpensive solution

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by KevinJames, Jan 11, 2017.

1. KevinJames

KevinJames WA's 1st retired mod

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    (I hope I haven't posted about this subject. I could not find it. If I have, the mods are welcome to delete whichever is the duplicate.)

As most know, I've been ending up in ER and subsequently hospitalized more often. (4x in 2016) Each time, my ATT phone don't work there. Staff indicates only Verizon works. After research, I decided to get a Verizon Hotspot. With it, I can use wifi calling on my Samsung S7-Edge as well as surf the net. (Even if I don't get hospitalized, a visit to ER is usually a minimum of 10 hours.) I thought I was going to end up hospitalized a couple days ago due to internal bleeding. But the bleeding stopped and the 2 phone consults I had with doctors indicated that at present all they needed was a blood and urine test. So I have yet to actually test the device inside the hospital. (It takes about 40 minutes to get there so I'm in no hurry to go there just to test it out.)

Verizon charges $20 for one gig of data and it lasts one month. And can reload it right from the app on my phone. Good solution for temporary needs.

2. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    And if it doesn't work as well as expected you can just return it, right?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

3. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    I'm not sure, but I think it is under the same 2-week return policy as phones. I hope the expense wasn't in vain.

4. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    Every hospital around the Chicagoland area that I have worked in has public wifi. Have you checked on that?

5. KevinJames

My Phone:
    Samsung S7-Edge
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T & Verizon
    They do have wifi, but my own experience, coupled with the staff's honest observations, is that the hospital's wifi "sucks." Poor speeds, constant disconnects. But other than that, Kaiser Permanente's medical services have always been very good to me. They also seem to have the latest medical tech too. They had computerized, instant x-ray before most other hospitals around the area.

palandri likes this.
  6. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Thanks for this tip. Somehow I missed this original post.

Good to know...I'll keep this thought in my mental bookshelf, if I'm in an ATT free zone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro