Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Prepaid to Postpaid (Is It Possible?)

Discussion in 'Alltel Forum' started by Left1ne, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Left1ne

Left1ne New Member

...So after losing my phone (no insurance) I decided to purchase a new phone/handset on a Alltel Prepaid account instead of paying full retail price for one, hoping I would save myself some money. I purchased the phone online (Alltel website), in hopes of not having to visit a Alltel store to get it activated etc. Upon purchasing the phone, I thought when you purchased a phone online it came UNactivated with no number.

My initial plans were to receive the UNactivated handset & instead of activating it on a prepaid account, I would activate it on my postpaid account to replace the phone I lost.

Unfortunately, I just viewed my shipping notice for the phone I ordered & discovered it comes activated with a phone number.

Is it still possible for me to have this handset activated on my post paid account although it is originally activated as a prepaid? Ive noted that it takes 120 days for a prepaid account to completely expire. Will I have to wait that long before I am able to put this phone on my postpaid account?

Any suggestions from customers & Alltel employees would be greatly appreciated!

Ive noticed this topic has been discussed somewhat before, but thought I would get more precise clarification.

2. bikebryan

bikebryan Senior Member

This info was from before Alltel was purchased by VZW:

We would not activate prepaid phones on postpaid lines. When a person tried, they discovered the phone was locked and would not allow us at CS to program it. That and we could almost always tell it was prepaid, even when somebody tried to sneak it in on us, the the ESN starting with PIAB.

Can you do it now? I don't know. You can try I guess.

3. KyleAndMelissa22

KyleAndMelissa22 Woot Woot, Splat !!!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    LG Lucid 3 / G4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (SID 299, NID 173)
    I'm still with Alltel (ATNI) and I already tried within the last 2 months.
    Alltel can not & will not activate a prepaid ESN onto a postpaid account.

Now as far as transferring a prepaid number to a new postpaid account, thats possible.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. shellsh

shellsh New Member

I work for an alltel agent and we do this all the time for people who have lost or broken phones. As long as it is deactivated on the prepaid it should work