Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Prepaid Service

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Guest, May 23, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hello,

I live in the Portland Maine area. I travel on a regular basis, but sporadically. That is, I may be home for anywhere from 2 to 5 months and then gone for anywhere from 2 to 5 months. During my travel time, I may be anywhere on the coastal areas of the US, East, Gulf, and/or West. I have very little need for a cell phone when I'm home but would use it extensively when I'm traveling.

I have been looking over all of my options and prepaid seems to be the way to go. I could load up on minutes when I need them and buy just enough to keep the number active when I don't. I realize that the per minute cost would be higher but I think I would average out lower. That is, I wouldn't be paying a high monthly fee when I don't need to use the service.

Am I on the right track here or way off base? ATT's service looks good as they seem to have the best coverage in the areas I will be using it in. That is, if I am reading the map correctly.

Thanks

2. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    There are a few options that you have for service

you can:

1. check out www.consumercellular.com The offer at&t wireless on a month to month basis

2. with at&t you can change price plans at anytime so basic for when home and more advanced the months that you are gone

3. Sprint pcs offers a month to month plan

Prepay is a ok option but it seems to me that when you travel you will want to use the phone quite abit

also once you get used to having a phone you will more then likely use it more when you are at home

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    You should also look into Verizon's Prepaid service called "Free Up" that is proabely one of if not the best prepaid systems out right now.

FREEUP from Verizon Wireless

4. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for all of the help and information. None of the plans are perfect but I've got a lot more to think about now.

6. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS, Prior-Verizon FreeUp
    If you're gonna do prepaid, I think Verizon's FreeUp is probably your best bet. With most prepaid service, roaming is an issue. With FreeUp as long as you're on the Verizon network you're not charged any more than normal. It's sometimes hard to tell when you actually are off network(see my post below about roaming) but if you've decided on prepaid, I think FreeUp is a good bet. Although I've heard good things about ecallplus.com on the AT&T network. I used regular AT&T prepaid service and was not a fan. YMMV

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Mooby (or anyone),

Mind saying what you don't like about ATT's prepaid service or why you think Verizon's is better? Just curioius.

8. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    With Verizon's FREEUP, you are NOT charged for roaming (unless you are off Verizon's network, which will hardly ever happen) this would be useful for all your trips. New credits for your account are only needed ever 60 days with Verizon compared to every 45 days with ATT. The biggest things for me is that the rates are cheaper, free roaming, and LARGE calling area! (ATT doesn't even have service in my state basically yet VoiceStream, Cingular, Verizon, and Nextel do.

9. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Let us know if we can be of more assistance

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Anonymous,
    pretty much what Airb said. FreeUp has reduced rates for nights and weekends(10cents instead of 35 cents on peak), a larger coverage area(with AT&T my home area was only connecticut under the nonnational plan), better customer service(you can do online account management), longer expiration dates for airtime, better coverage(in my experience). When I had AT&T I never hit and AT&T tower, so I'd always have to redial the number I was calling. Coverage was also very spotty for me. AT&Ts customer service was not very helpful as I'd often be talking with them for about five minutes, then they'd say "oh you're using a prepay service? I'll have to transfer you" forcing me to explain my problem again. I'd definitely go Verizon if you've decided on prepay. I've had great experience with it so far.

11. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    also the other benefit of at&t prepaid is that it is a national prepaid service

Jack

12. Mooby

Mooby Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8200
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Jack,
    AT&T prepaid is only National if you opt for the national plan. The national plan charges more for minutes but no extra roaming fees. (I think it's like 35c local v 60 cents national). However, if you use ecallplus then that's a whole other can of worms.