Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Prepaid: is packet data possible?

Discussion in 'T-Mobile Forum' started by randulo, Aug 1, 2007.

1. randulo

randulo Junior Member

On Cingular I could use the email client and WAP. I'm starting to think that T-Mobile doesn't do this. Can someone set me straight? My phone is an unlocked Nokia 6131, works beautifully on Orange.
    Cust service sent me a message that was supposed to record the access point settings (and one for MMS) but it looks like it didn't work. Maybe what I'm trying to do isn't even possible? Someone put me out of my misery, please? I can't live without it, but if email can be done, I wanna know how :)

2. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    For a while it was possible, but if I'm not mistaken T-Mobile has once again blocked access to everything except the free t-Zones sites. If you have the correct settings, holding down 0 should get you to the t-Zones home page and MMS should work as well. You can also try getting the settings from the Nokia web site.

WAP/GPRS
    MMS

When you install the settings, make sure to go to Menu->Settings->Configuration and select the WAP settings as default, then Activate default in all apps. Then go to Messaging->Message settings->Multimedia messages->Configuration settings and make sure the MMS settings are set to the T-Mobile ones.

3. randulo

randulo Junior Member

Well, I can access the t-zone menu, but notjing on the menu works, so I guess you are right. I'm gonna have to talk to AT&T and see if they're still allowing GPRS because I'd rather have at least minimum WAP and IMAP email.

4. siliconvalley785

My Phone:
    E62, BlackJack, L6, V551
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Aside from the t-zones portal, I haven't been able to get outside of it either.

Pritesh

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. randulo

randulo Junior Member

I'm sorry I went with T-schmobile now, and here's why:

Calls between tmob users aren't free. Cingular has free calling between users AND data access, both on prepay accounts. Unless AT&T stopped one of these features, they KILL T-Mobile for bang for the buck now that they also have a one year expiration period. I'm going to talk to them this week and get a couple of their cards and give away the T-Mob ones.

6. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    Hello again randulu, I just wanted to caution you that there is no m2m on the Pay As You Go 25c/min plan on At&T/Cingular :)

Pay As You Go Plans

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Ellen

Ellen Guest

This is incorrect, and here is why:
    The $100.00 refill card through TMobile amounts to $0.10 cents/ minute for every call...The $100.00 refill card through at&t depending on what plan you choose will either cost you a flat $0.25 cents/ minute, or $0.10 cents /minute "Plus" an added charge of $1/day for every day that you use your phone.

At these rates (not using M2M), a 10 minute call using all 3 plans breaks down to this:

TMobile To Go = $1.00

at&t's 25 cent flat rate = $2.50

at&t's $1/day plan = $2.00

One other difference that I have noticed between TMobile and at&t, is that TMobile doesn't charge anything extra above their $0.25 cents to send a picture from one of their camera phones, but with at&t, they would tack on data charges as well as the $0.25 cents to send a picture. Also in order to receive at&t's data at a rate other than the $0.01cent/kb that comes standard on all of their prepaid plans, one would have to pick out a data plan, which would cost extra.......So all things considered here, at&t will not "Kill" TMobile as far as prepaid rates go....... Coverage wise, well that's a whole other issue..

8. randulo

randulo Junior Member

According to the document I just read from AT&T m2m works on the plan where you pay $1 per day for each day where there's a call. This is what the printed document says. Since my purpose is to have the phone available one month per year, that $1 thing doesn't bother me. NOT being able to send photos or email bothers me A LOT so I won't use tmob next year unless they change that and I'm still sorry I use it now.

9. Ellen

Ellen Guest

Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX9900/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

The $1/day with m2m plan has been available for a while now. If TMobile has good coverage for you, maybe you should look into their new month to month, no contract Flex Pay plans. Choose the plan that fits your useage needs, and you can add the TMobile Web for $5.99/month. I use TMobile To Go, and I send picture messages all the time from my phones.

10. randulo

randulo Junior Member

I don't want a contract with Tmob or anyone else. I want pay as I go data. It looks like Cingular (ATT) is the only one with that in the USA? I need to stop the perpetuality of this thread, but some people do not want contracts and I am one of these. I don't mind paying for one month, I want to no obligation on paper to any company. That's what pay as you go, prepaid or whatever they call it is for. And I want data :)

11. Ellen

Ellen Guest

No AT&T is not the only one to offer a prepaid program with data any more. When I mentioned TMobiles "Flex Pay" in my above post, I was talking about their new "NO CONTRACT" program that is set up like at&t's Pick Your Plan prepaid.
    There are two options available on Flex Pay. One is for a yearly commitment in which you receive a discount on the handset and you sign a one year agreement....... But the one that I was talking about is their "Month To Month", Flex Pay, that you are NOT signing any contract, or receiving any discount on the phone. You simply pick one of TMobiles regular plans out that gives you the amount of minutes that you need, and pay in advance each month for them. When you sign up for the Month To Month option, you are not required to give them your social security number because there is no credit check. There is no activation or deposit on these No Contract plans as well. Plus Flex Pay gives you the option of adding any feature like "data or texting" on to your plan.

Unsupported Browser

12. randulo

randulo Junior Member

Not customer friendly, no matter how many times you answer. Until it is, I won't go for it.

THE CUSTOMER is the reason any company exists. If they can't get it right, we move on.

13. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon

You are absolutly correct & what matters is what works the best for you and only you know what you want or need.

14. Ellen

Ellen Guest

I couldn't agree more. It sounds to me from reading all of your posts on here that at&t would be a better choice for you, since you know how their coverage is, and what type of features best fit your needs.

15. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    But with T-Mobile, prepaid customers can now roam in Canada (on Rogers) and in some areas of Mexico.

AT&T's prepaid service is still limited to the U.S. and may not roam off-AT&T. In Vermont, T-Mobile prepaid can roam on Unicel, AT&T's prepaid map shows no coverage in Vermont.

16. randulo

randulo Junior Member

My wife will be in Montréal for a few days in November. SHe also has a T-Mob SIM, where can I find out more about T-Mobile in Canada please?

17. EdwardP

EdwardP Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Android
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom)
    T-Mobile customers will roam on Rogers in Montréal, there should not be any issues with coverage.

18. randulo

randulo Junior Member

OT: Roaming with prepaid T-Mobile in Canada

Hi Edward, do you have any links or an idea as to the cost of it for prepaid users?

thanks to you or anyone else who can help.

r