Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Prepaid? Family Plans? Some combination of the two?

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by rletocha, Apr 7, 2002.

1. rletocha

rletocha New Member

Hello everyone,

I'd appreciate any help you can give for this wireless neophyte. I have a question about selecting a plan that I do not believe has been asked in this forum.

I am considering a wireless plan for one reason and one reason only: my wife is pregnant, and I would like to be able to stay in touch with her by wireless phone in the event we are separated when something urgent takes place. The only feature that I "need" in a wireless plan is a two-phone arrangement, so that she and I could call each other directly. We travel infrequently and make few long-distance calls (around $10-$15/month in long distance), and I would therefore anticipate making only a handful of local calls each month at most.

To get 2 phones on one plan, it looks to me like a family plan (with "unlimited mobile-to-mobile minutes') is the only way to go. Because we don't anticipate using many minutes, I am also intrigued by prepaid plans. Is anyone aware of a prepaid plan that would include 2 phones? I have been unable to find any such plan - as far as I can tell, neither Verizon nor Cingular offers such a plan. If one does not exist, could anyone suggest a plan that might serve our needs best? (We are in Baltimore, MD.) Since we don't plan to use the phones much, I'd obviously prefer to keep costs as low as possible, but I do understand that our needs might require us to opt for a more expensive plan.

Many thanks in advance!

2. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

The cheapest Verizon plan that you can get would be for 2 phones on a share plan would be about $55 dollars a month. 250 MTM oer phone is included in that as well as Voice mail, call waiting, caller id, etc............

As far as the minutes are concerned........................i do not quite know. Check with a local dealer.

3. Dukedog

Dukedog Senior Member

Hi rletocha, I will be glad to help you. First off, I would to say that I activate for Cingular in the Washington- Baltimore region, and I think that Cingular have some of the best Family talk plans then most carrier-for $29.99 or higher, you get to choose One options whether it is N&W or mob2mob, $29.99(250) daytime, $39.99(400)daytime, $49.99(600) daytime and $69.99(800) daytime. Now remember that if activate on family talk that the second line get a $16.99 recurring monthly charge to share minutes wih you. All of Cingular plans included Free Long Distance, so you could call your parents and her parents, friends and family that out of you area. The best options is to activate on the $29.99 (250) daytime with the 3500 N&W and then add the family mob2mob for $9.99 monthly charge, and see then when your child is born , you can call your family and friends on the weekend or at 9:00 p.m. at Nights , that would save you on your home phone long Distance.

4. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I believe you are talking about the America's Choice Family Plans, Wayne. It looks like for 2 lines for $55 you would get 300 shared minutes, 250 mobile to mobile minutes, and 3,000 shared night and weekend minutes. 3 Way Calling, Basic Voice Mail, Call Waiting, and Caller ID are included in this plan also. You should check your Verizon Wireless local store for details or visit http://www.verizonwireless.com

5. Guest

Guest Guest

You might want to look at ATT's "starter Plan".

60 anytime minutes for $20.00. Each of you would need a separate plan and phone (but ATT would send you one bill including both). If you're honest in what you say you want, it's probably cheaper than the "share plans" etc that others here are touting.....

But if you bellieve that once you have the phone you'll really use it (or them) a whole lot, you're doubtless better off with one of the higher minute share plans.

6. Dukedog

Dukedog Senior Member

I do believe he said that he like to use the mob2mob feature so that will not work. 60 mins.

7. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

TNDan21, we also have local plans..................that you can share the minutes off of. On our local plans , you would not be able to share a 25 dollar plan. But I am down here in TX. So defently go to a store to find out the exact details for all markets are different.

8. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    I've seen the local share plans on Verizon's website but they just don't look as good as the America's Choice Family Plans. Long Distance isn't included and you get a smaller calling area. In my opinion the America's Choice Family Plans are a better deal and 2 line's for $55 thats not bad that works out to $27.50 per line.

9. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

True...............but i was just saying that incase they do not travel and make local calls. The AC is the sweet deal with share plans I agree..........another thing you also get is 250 semi national MTM minutes per phone. On the National MTM....check map for area of uhhhhhh workage[​IMG]

10. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    The poster said that they do make $10-15 a month in LD and would use it infrequently for local calls. I personally would choose the Verizon America Choice Shared Rate Plans. $55 for two phones is a good deal. This would also take care of all the LD that you do.

Any other questions just ask

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Dukedog

Dukedog Senior Member

But, Cingular plans also, includes LD and it is $10 dollars cheaper. $29.99 with unlimited mob2mob and 250 anytime minutes.$16.99 2nd line charge. $29.99 + $16.99=$46.98

12. rletocha

rletocha New Member

To everyone who's posted...

... THANK YOU!

There are lots of good ideas in here. I'll need to think about everything. I appreciate your willingness to help a newbie!

13. Dukedog

Dukedog Senior Member

You are welcome, please come back and share your joy. I mean tell us ,who you decided to start service with.

14. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    have you chosen a service yet

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. kyocera2235verizon

kyocera2235verizon Junior Member

I heard that the Prepaid plans aren't as good as the regular plans because, 1. they aren't available in all areas, say if I lived in Philly and traveled to Boston or Buffalo lets say, then it wouldn't work.. I dont know if this was already mentioned..

16. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Because they can be very expensive and there are pre-paid plans that are nationwide

Jack