Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Prepaid Data only

Discussion in 'PRE-PAID Cell Phone Companies and Plans' started by Simon5282, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Simon5282

Simon5282 Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I am looking for prepaid 3g broadband in a wi-fi device, like the MiFi that Virgin Mobile has, but they throttle speeds at 2.5 gb. Is there any other providers that offer this? I know that Clear has a mobile device, but I have herd negative reviews with them. Any other prepaid deals out there that offer around 5gb before throttling or overage? Prepaid is a must!

(I know my location says UK but I am looking for a stateside provider for my mom)

2. QLR

QLR RIP Note!

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Samsung Galaxy S8+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, AT&T based Tracfone, T-Mobile
    I know that Verizon and T-Mobile both offer prepaid data with the USB modem or Wifi. Prices vary for prepaid, and it looks like Verizon charges the worst rates for data ($50 for 1GB of prepaid data?:loony:). Also, perhaps Millenicom may be a possibility if she doesn't mind auto pay (but no contract from what I can tell).

It looks like the hot spots are hard to find online (at least with the official carriers websites), so a visit to a big box store may be in order.

Also, Verizon does't throttle data, it just stops working when the data cap is reached. Not sure about T-Mobile prepaid. The monthly plans throttle, prepaid may stop working after the cap is reached.

Verizon: Verizon Wireless - Mobile Broadband - Plans (sadly, I didnt see the hotspot ... and the prepaid is probably restricted to USB :()
    Millenicon: Millenicom | Wireless Broadband Plans
    T-Mobile: Unsupported Browser

I remember seeing a data stick for AT&T at Best Buy as well, so they likely offer prepaid data.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Simon5282

Simon5282 Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Thanks for the response. I've spent some time googling, and saw what the big boys offered. I cannot believe the cost of prepaid data with the big ones. My mom hates ATT all around, and she says they keep messing up her bill. I'm not sure about the entire situation though. They don't use a lot of data, but what they do use is for Skype.

Thanks again.

4. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Skype isn't too heavy on bandwidth, I counted the data on my Skype call once and it wound up to be something like 1MB for 3 minutes of talking, more-or-less. Average that with how much time you expect to talk, I'm sure 2.5GB will be sufficient.

I think just about every mobile operator on earth has a data cap (pre and post paid) and will either block you or rate-limit you once you reach it. Depending on the rate-limiting, it still may be enough for Skype (Skype needs roughly about 100Kbps).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Simon5282

Simon5282 Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Is that data for just voice call? We mostly use Skype for video calls.

6. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Oh, yea, 100Kbps is for voice only. Video would eat up much more bandwidth, depending on video quality, maybe something like 500Kbps. You'd need a pretty solid cellular connection for that as well, meaning: good signal, low interference and a cellular provider who isn't over-subscribed in your area (ie: not tons of people making video calls and bogging down their network ;))