Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

pre paid Page Plus ot T-Mobile to go for central Iowa

Discussion in 'Central US Wireless Forum' started by goanimosh, Jan 30, 2008.

1. goanimosh

goanimosh New Member

:) Hi;

I'm a newbie so please give me some slack.:O

I am in need of a cell phone to use in emergencies and quick calls. After doing reserch on the web I have narrowed it down to Page Plus Cellular that uses the Verizon network and T-Mobile to go. These two are the cheaper plans.
    I am in Des Moines, Iowa and would mainly use it there and surrounding suburbs (West Des Moines, Johnston, Urbandale, Ankeny, Grimes, etc and maybe Ames or along I35 and I80.)
    If I don't want to use a reconditioned phone from Page plus I need to pick up a verizon phone somewhere and give it's number to Page plus. Does anyone know where I can pick up a decent cheaper verizon phone without a contract?
    If I go with T-Mobile I would have to go with a Motorola V195; Samsung T2195; Samsung T219PPD. I am looking for a cheaper decent flip phone and these seem to be my only options. Anyone have opinions on these phones?
    My last question is about coverage for this area? Which is better, or has better reception?

okay I will shut up now :D Thanks!

2. Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    I don't think it's possible to get on Verizon without signing a contract. That said, T-Mobile's togo program is probably best for your needs. Check the coverage maps and see if there is service in the areas that you will be in. If there is service, I recommend going with T-Mobile. Unsupported Browser

3. Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    As for phones I'd go with the Motorola V195. It's a solid little guy... just remember that the less you pay, the less features you will have. If you are looking for bluetooth, camera, e-mail, and all of the bells and whistles it would not be a good choice. If you are looking for a simple phone with good battery life, this is an excellent choice.

4. salemcell

salemcell Junior Member

My Phone:
    nokia 6126
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Pageplus, Simple, Prepyd, Ultra, SKYView
    hi,
    since you are aready in a good coverage area of tmobile and it does work out to be pretty cheap for useage..why not just go with that.
    also , you can go to your local walmart and pick up a new verizon phone and discard the free airtime and activate it on page plus.
    i am in south east iowa ..mt pleasant /salem area. according to coverages you should do good with each.
    hope it helps.

5. Ellen

Ellen Guest

I would recommend that you look into TMobile To Go before any of the other carriers that are out there due to TMobile being the cheapest as far as prepaid rates go.... You can check how their coverage would be in the locations that you would be using your phone by entering the zip codes in TMobiles coverage check in the links that were posted above.... TMobile offers free roaming off of their network in areas where they have roaming agreements set up with other carriers..... Once you have added $100 to your account you will considered a Gold customer and your minutes will not expire for a full year.... All you need to do to keep your Gold account active would be to add $10.00 a year to it. You can find out more information about TMobile To Go as well as information about their international PP rates in this link. Unsupported Browser
    I've used the V195 on T-Mobile To Go myself, so that would be my recommendation for a nice PP phone with great reception.

6. bambam

bambam Junior Member

If you are well surrounded by Verizon native coverage and don't plan to roam , I recommend Page Plus Cellular . I would get a Verizon phone elsewhere and get PP to activate . ( see the Page Plus Cellular discussion forum at HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource )