Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Powersource Phones and Roaming

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by Kalimotxo, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo Bronze Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    question for the sprint/nextel junkies out there...

my co-worker currently has nextel and is thinking about switching over to the sprint side of things. she claims that the iDEN service here in nova has started to get worse (whether that's a fact, who knows). she's looking at the IC902 by moto... she wants the features/coverage that cdma has to offer but wants to keep iDEN for chirp.

the question is regarding the coverage. on sprint.com the powersource coverage map does not show any roaming coverage.... is it possible to cdma roam with that phone?

for example, outside of culpeper she needs to be able to roam off of alltel.

thanks in advance for the info

2. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    If there is no 1900mhz CDMA partner in that region then the phone will not roam. The powersource phones do not have cellular roaming capabilities, just PCS band.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    TelcomJunkie is correct if there is no 1900 CDMA network in that area then their would be no coverage with this phone.

From my experience the map is fairly on with the roaming part with these phones, I have had issues where I had no coverage, it's a shame they can't get the 850 to work with iDEN's system on these phones, because then they would be a good phone where there is better coverage.

I thought Alltel did use 1900 in VA ?

4. Kalimotxo

Kalimotxo Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    The latest and greatest.
    Wireless Provider(s):
    All of them.
    thanks for the info... i was pretty sure that it would still roam provided it could find a 1900 provider. the coverage maps on sprint.com were a little misleading...

5. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah.........when you select PowerSource it only shows you were Sprint has service and where Nextel has service and where it has them together.............on the PowerSource map it doesnt really show you roaming...............even on the regular map it doesnt show too much roaming either

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. RJB

RJB Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Honestly try to get a phone that has 800 and 1900 will come in handy.

7. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    yeah.............800 is pretty crucial for roaming nowadays............especially on VZW

8. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    That's great advice, providing the OP doesn't use the primary feature of Nextel, Direct Connect.