Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

POWER Vision - Phone as modem?

Discussion in 'Sprint Forum' started by LG5350inAZ, Jan 20, 2006.

1. LG5350inAZ

LG5350inAZ New Member

My Phone:
    Sanyo 8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint PCS
    Can the new POWER Vision phones be used as modems just as the first generation 3G phones (Sanyo 8100 and 8200 etc). Can the Samsung MM-A920 or Sanyo MM-7500 be used as a modem with the correct cable? If so, what are the speeds one can expect to see? I see Sprint is offering a Power vision package that offers unlimited internet for $25 a month. I'm not interested in using it on the phone itselft. I will need to connect this to a laptop.

Thanks!

2. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    Yup, the new powervision phones can be used as a modem. Actually, sprint is marketing these phones as modems. I believe that all powervision phones are shipped with the proper cables to do this with as well. I do have one question though, why do you want a phone. Why not get the modem card?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. xenophon

xenophon Member

There is an advantage to using phone as modem if not a heavy user. If you get a laptop card, you are forced to pay $60-$80/month even if a light user. If using a phone-as-modem, you are charged $25/month with 40MB and then a KB charge that caps to $70 (essentially unlimited). If a heavy user some months and light others, you may average below $60/month.

One disadvantage of using phone-as-modem is that you can't talk and do data at the same time with current phones. There many be dual chipset phones coming this year that do data/voice at same time - no specific models announced though. Qualcomm is working on dual chipsets though.

4. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    But at least now with a Power Vision phone & service you will have your calls come through. It's just up to you if you want to take it, and end the data session. Or ignor it and keep surfing. :)

5. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Right now, I am using my a900 as a modem. I am actually getting speeds that top my wired speeds!

Here are some results, first from the phone:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

From my wired connection:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. char1746

char1746 New Member

How do I do this? I have cable, am dialing #777, but keep getting error #67, password or name is incorrect...........

7. Yankees368

My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint now charges for the ability to do this. Check out pcsintel.com for a work around.

8. isa671

isa671 New Member

TRIED LOOKING FOR THE WORK AROUND. STILL CAN'T FIND IT. ANY MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE 7500?

KC