Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

possible fulfillment of wireless service contract by a different person

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by tkim08, Apr 25, 2002.

1. tkim08

tkim08 New Member

Hi
    I need a cell phone till december, and I will be out of the country after then.
    I decided that a cell phone might work better, since I will be out of my apt often, and the monthly prices are comparable to local and LD services.
    But there is the problem of the '1yr or more' contract...
    Thus I am wondering, is if possible for one person to start a contract, then hand the contract over to a different person?
    If so, is there a site where I can find out about people who wish to stop using a cell phone / change to a different contract, but cannot do so as of now because of the term? are any of you readers in that state of mind? I'm in the central ny region, so let me know.
    (as of now, my only viable alternative seems to be cricket)
    thanks!

2. Jack

Jack Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    Another one that you miight want to check out is Sprint PCS. For an extra $10 a month to any of there plas you can do a no contract option.

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Guest

Guest Guest

GET PREPAID service

4. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    I would consider sprint to be a better choice then prepaid

Jack

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. tkim08

tkim08 New Member

hmmm, yeah, sprint comes better recommended, even for the fact that I'd be able to use it at most places in teh states, compared to cricket... I'll look into that option...
    as for the prepaid card type cell phones, I'd rather just get normal phone service than do that... (the rates are way too high)

6. Guest

Guest Guest

You can also see if they can offer you a deal with a used phone at a reduced price than full retail for a new one so that you don't have to do a contract commitment.

7. erub

erub Junior Member

I dont know about how to find somebody who wants to get out of their contract, but I'm pretty sure Cingular will allow you to transfer your contract to another person (if they have approved credit), because I asked them when I lost my phone about the possibility of transferring my contract to another person (my mom, whose contract had expired), and they said that they could do it. But I found my phone. Also if you are willing to bring your own phone (buy one off of ebay, or from a friend) Cingular will activate it with no commitment. Or you can just pay the nondiscounted price (which is like $120 more) for the phone. But in that case, its only $150 to cancel the service early, so I don't know what you would want to do. Its like giving them the money up front.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Also if you are willing to bring your own phone (buy one off of ebay, or from a friend) Cingular will activate it with no commitment.
    ----

This is at their discretion, Cingular will impose 36$ activation fee and would deny the consumer access to present promotions.

9. Dukedog

Dukedog Senior Member

Cingular would not deny you of any promoyion just because you sign a no commitment plan, the plan are built with (1yr or 2yr or even a noncommitment) they are all the same plan with the same features. I know because I work for Cingular, all the commitment plan is for the prices on the phones that will give you a discount with Cingular.

10. Jack

My Phone:
    Motorola T720
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Alltel
    let us know what you decide

Jack