Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Possible carrier switch

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by lilprincess2, Sep 24, 2005.

1. lilprincess2

lilprincess2 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    ~*~iPhone 3g~*~BB 8900~*~
    Hi guys, it's been awhile! Does anyone have any input on carrier switching from At&t NOW GRR Cingular GRR to Nextel? Would that be a good move? lol Also if you are still in contract can you still port your number? How long does that take to do too? Thanks in advance! :) Would that be an insane thing to do now that the merger is happening or should one wait till later?

2. fb

fb Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry Pearl 8100
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Wireless/Cingular Blue
    You can port your number, but you will have to pay the ETF. How much longer do you have in contract? Does Nextel have service in the areas you want to use the phone? What is bothering you about your carrier right now?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. lilprincess2

My Phone:
    Well, my service is now becoming a pain. I've been getting voicemails 2 to 3 days after they have been left and service has been real choppy lately. It used to be great no problems what so ever and now it's gotten to a point that it's really annoying. It's my business phone and getting my voicemails on time would be great but that's not the case. I've pretty much had no problems with signal strength what so ever but lately i'm cutting out where i never did and people seem to be having a hard time hearing me. I've thought about just getting another phone with Cingular blue since mine is an At&t phone but i'm not too sure. I do know people with Nextel and they don't seem to have any problems that's why i am considering it, and also, if i did go with Nextel i'd go with the i860 so that's another concern if it's a good phone or not! :eek: lol

4. djjim

djjim Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Old:Alltel, Nextel, At&t, USCC, Cricket)
    I hope you never get far from the city or interstate. Nextel and Sprint are pretty bad in the country and rural areas..just a warning. Although I would think with the Sprint roaming agreements, it may get better. If you stay put and you live in an urban area you should be ok.

1000 nationwide minutes, unlimited N & W, unlimited M2M, nights starting at 7, change my contract anytime without extending my contract, minute back credit when a call is dropped(hasn't happened yet!), service nearly everywhere I go!----> $56.95

5. guy2

guy2 Senior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Sprint is adding more and more coverage everyday by adding their equiment to nextel towers.Also with the new fair and flexible plans their is no roaming charges so you will basically have service most places.You can try nextel and if you dont like nextel you can switch to sprint with no etf as they are sprint nextel now.I have sprint and love it i too switched from terrible cingular and have had so much more coverage with sprint.Just my observations

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. djjim

djjim Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG VX8370 Clout
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (Old:Alltel, Nextel, At&t, USCC, Cricket)
    My experience is with Nextel and their Direct Connect. Once Sprint and Nextel complete their meger they will be awesome! But, right now Nextel is pretty bad outside urban areas and away from the interstate.

7. larry

larry Sprint loyalist and former mod

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    lilprincess2 - It's eaiser to recommend a carrier if we knew which part of the US. you're in. Carrier's can vary greatly from market to market.

8. lilprincess2

My Phone:
    Hi, thank you for the responses! I am in Hawaii and the people that i know with Nextel seem to always have a signal in all the places we frequent. Each carrier seems to have similar dead spots so that's not even a concern being that we pretty much know where it'll cut out and so forth. I'm wanting to switch but kinda stuck at the moment in the decision process. Nextel does have a good plan out though with 800 minutes for 39.99.:thumb: :)

9. budney

budney Resident Headbanger
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Hawaii, I thought so. :)

I would recommend tring the pre-paid service of the carriers you might switch too. Boost Mobile uses Nextel's network.

10. lilprincess2

My Phone:
    Boost mobile? I don't think i've heard of them before. lol I know Nextel would work in my house and such cause my friends who come here have a signal in all parts of my home, i don't know if it's because they just have a good Nextel phone or if the network is just good. That's why i wanted to find out about the i860 that i posted about in the motorola forum but did'nt get no response to. lol

11. jerry 12

jerry 12 Junior Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry Bold 9930
    Wireless Provider(s):
    us cellular / Verizon
    you said that you use to get a good singal.have you called your carrier and have them put in a trouble ticket?your phone could be going bad.why dont you see if your carrier will let you try a loander phone at your house to see how it worked.if you get a new phone most carriers will give like 15-30 days to try it out or you can return it.who is your carrier? the motorola phones have very good rf these days.:)

12. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hawaii is something I'm not familar with at all so I guess I can't be of any help. :(

13. jones

jones Silver Senior Member

if your carrier works for you don't change.

14. lilprincess2

My Phone:
    Well, i just got off of the phone with Nextel inquiring about a few things since i cannot access their website cause we are covered by "Nextel Partners" and not Sprint Nextel! (which does'nt make sense to me!) Anyway, seems that you cannot share pictures to other phones on other networks other than Nextel the only way to do so would be to email them a picture, no big deal i guess i could live with that lol. Wish i could view rate plans though instead of having to drive up to the Nextel store just to see that. But anyway i'll stop rambling now. lol :rolleyes: :biggrin:

15. lilprincess2

My Phone:
    Hi again guys! Since i am still in contract i do know that if i port my number i'll have to pay the ETF but if a phone is'nt in contract and wants to port is there a charge for that?

16. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    No, if you are out of contract there is no charge to port.

And I feel your pain princess. Cingular is my only phone for the most part (have a 100 min Verizon plan) and to not have people able to get a hold of me is pretty much unacceptable.

17. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    The problems your having with Cingular are part of the integration process going on & it should go away soon, a suggestion is to remove the battery & SIM for 3 mins from the phone (remove the battery with the phone powered up) & see if that helps. I have heard from people that this will help reset the phone, and Cingular recommends powering off the phone every day or 2 for 30 plus seconds to re-register with the towers.
    It may or may not help, alot of people have been having these problems & as the integration gets further on it will improve and you shouldn't have these problems. It wouldn't hurt to wait about a month before doing this to see if things improve for you & maybe you can save the ETF.

18. lilprincess2

My Phone:
    Anthro, yeah it is annoying especially if it's a work phone! I'm tired of it already and am willing to pay the ETF and switch. I have a whole year more to go before i am outta contract and that's too long to wait. I stopped by the Cingular store yesterday and they tried telling it was because of the hurricane in Texas that my voicemails were messed up. I told them it's been happenening from before that so now they are trying to tell me that it "must" be my phone which is the v600 because it was from At&t and im still on the "old" billing system so i'll need to purchase a Cingular phone. Plan wise i'll be paying more for less than i am now and for what i pay now i'll definetly be getting less!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Fire, i've tried it all and it works for a little bit then right back to how it was. I'm a little disappointed but i'll try another carrier. Who knows though i just might be back with them again someday... never say never right? lol :p

19. guy2

guy2 Senior Member

Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Those in store cingular people lie and will tell you anything.If i were you and it was getting too much to deal with its worth your piece of mind to change.Pay the small amount and get out.

20. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Yeah for some reason the web site will no longer show affiliate plans or partner plans.

21. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I've noticed that what this does is simply restart the phone's software fresh so that it runs better, the same way that your computer usually runs better after a reboot. The excuse about "re-registering with the towers" is simply a cover-up the companies came up with to hide the fact that most phone's software is buggy these days. Phones constantly re-register with the network on their own every few minutes so there's no need to manually do this.

22. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    Don't be talked into switching to Cingular over from at&t thinking it'll get better...It won't.

I'm not sure about Nextel, but if your friends have them and they work fine then you might want to give them a closer look.
    Verizon generally works very well in Hawaii too, and they do share pictures with other carriers.

23. lilprincess2

My Phone:
    Thanks Andy i won't that's for sure. Others that i do know that have Nextel seem to have no problems. I gave them all the 100 questions lol and liked the answers but not only that, i have tried their phones as well. As for the picture thing you are able to share pictures with other carriers, guess that rep i talked to did'nt know what he was talking about lol. Verizon i know is a great company but pricey as well that's why i am considering Nextel because of the promo they have going on. I'll try them for the alotted time period and see what happens but im sure i'll stay with them. Now if only those darn i860's would come in! lol Seems they should be coming in but im afraid that it won't by the time the promo ends on the 30th. :)

24. Andy

Andy Diamond Senior Member

My Phone:
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    VZW, Vodafone D2, Solomo, Swisscom Mobile
    You could go into a store, saying that you want to sign up with Nextel with the i860 and ask them if they can give you a loaner or something until that phone comes in.

25. lilprincess2

My Phone:
    After hanging up the phone today with a nice gentleman at Nextel that helped me in setting up my new account and is shipping me a i860, my local Nextel store calls me and says they just got their shipment of i860's which they earlier said they did'nt think would come in. Talk about bad timing! I wish they knew if they were coming or going lol :lmao: So with that said i decided to give the one that i purchased over the phone to my mom and went in and got the other i860 and had my number ported today instead of waiting for the other to get here. The woman who helped me at our local store (whom i might add was'nt friendly at all! :mad: ) said the port should take any where between a few hours to 2 weeks but possibly in 2 days lol. In the mean time i got a temp. number and i still get to use my v600. What was interesting is she wanted me to keep the Nextel number and not port my old one lol why, i don't know and it's none of her business why i'd want to keep and port my old number anyway! :loony: I'll keep you all posted on how long it'll take to having a complete port. :)

26. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Well, I hope it works out for you. Sounds like a pain in the a**, though.

27. larry

My Phone:
    Galaxy S22+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Hope all goes well and welcome to the Sprint family if it does! :)

28. lilprincess2

My Phone:
    Woke up this morning and my number had been ported and the process complete! :eek: Wow that was fast! :) Guess im a Nextel customer now. hehe :D *crosses fingers all goes well and stays well* I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes! :cool: Thanks for the welcome Larry! :)

29. budney

budney Resident Headbanger

My Phone:
    iPhone 6s+
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I'm glad the port went through alright, and I hope that Nextel works great for you. Good luck princess. :)

30. Airb330

Airb330 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    Nextel's been having some major issues in many key markets (Philly, NYC) lately. Even the gushers at hofo are pretty irritated. I'd be wary of them to be honest, though I've always heard good things about Nextel. All carriers are pretty good in Oahu, but seems like Cingular, Verizon, and Nextel are the only usable options on other islands. I seem to recall that you had Verizon in the past?