Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Possible AT&T Long Lines Tower

Discussion in 'Cell Tower Hunting Club' started by jb198606, Jul 23, 2009.

1. jb198606

jb198606 New Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    HTC Incredible
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless Since (2006)
    This tower is located probably 15 to 20 miles from where I live. I thought you guys would enjoy taking a look at it. It looks like a cell phone company is also using it for there transceivers. This is the closest I can get to it. The tower is located on a hill and the road that goes to the tower has a gate across it.

[​IMG]

2. jb198606

jb198606 New Member

My Phone:
    HTC Incredible
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Here is also a close up the top of the tower. If anyone knows info about AT&T Long Lines Towers or knows who the cell phone companies are that are using the tower. That would be great help.

[​IMG]

3. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    American Tower owns alot of the old ATT towers now.

There are a few websites about long lines on the net just google it.

4. jb198606

jb198606 New Member

My Phone:
    HTC Incredible
    Wireless Provider(s):

Thanks for the reply, I have looked at some sites about long lines. It looks like you do work on cell sites. Do you know if some long line towers are still in use, or is it that cost is to high to remove them?

5. Der84

Der84 EH!

My Phone:
    Blackberry
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Rogers (2007-2011) Bell (2011-present)
    I would think that maybe they would keep these old towers around (even if not in use) in case a carrier happens to come along and use tower.

I know that's the case where I am. I've never seen one of those long line towers in Canada, but I have seen a few old microwave towers that have been given a second life as a cell tower.

But it could also have to do with the cost to remove them too.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Gottachase

Gottachase Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 9800 Torch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    There are a few towers like that near my house...they are pretty cool but they mainly house radio and TV antennas now or at least that's what I heard. They are pretty cool to see the towers from the past and how much we have advanced.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    The ATT Long Lines network was shut down years ago, all that traffic got turned over to fiber optics or at the very least, digital microwaves. In the early 90's, ATT disposed of many of these sites and they were bought up primarily by American Tower, who also then disposed of a lot them and sold them off the independent tower operators.

As for removal, a lot of the ATT Long Lines sites did have the conical horns removed, especially recently as new tenants moved in. For most of the sites, there were other people that wanted to utilize them after ATT moved out so there wasn't much of a reason to tear them down.

8. convex20899

convex20899 New Member

My Phone:
    BlackBerry curve
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
  9. RadioFoneGuy

RadioFoneGuy Powered by HTC FUZE

My Phone:
    Nokia 6103, 6010, 2260
    Wireless Provider(s):
    The death star formally known as Cell One.
    I know of a few that are still in use but not many and mainly due to the 1 know of serves an island.

AT&T on this tower sold the tower to American even thou it still uses the microwaves.

If you look at the Long Lines history even the big microwaves were converted to Digital awhile ago because they were running out of room.

Before cable TV and Satellite AT&T use to pass the big networks feeds across the long lines.

10. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Interesting. I'm not familiar with the term "Long Lines", but I do know "Long Haul" microwave links are alive and well. Ericsson/Marconi Long-Haul equipment goes up to STM-1/STM-4 (155Mbps/622Mbps) using 128 QAM modulation.

http://www.telent.de/uploads/media/Marconi_LH_info_05.pdf

Tellabs (former division of AT&T) also is producing similar equipment:

http://www.siaemic.it/fileadmin/use..._-_SIAE_MW_-_Interoperability_Test_Report.pdf

I don't know what bandwidth or modulation AT&T's "Long Lines" use, but generally speaking, there will always be a need for long-distance microwave links, and they are by no means "dead"... altho some of the outdated technologies may be, the new/updated long-haul microwave scene is alive and well ;)

11. Gottachase

Gottachase Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 9800 Torch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I've always wanted to visit the sites closest to my house but I-87 happens to be in the way and the towers are on a hill that is 1,500 ft above my house. So I'm out of luck. :(

12. Der84

Der84 EH!

My Phone:
    Blackberry
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Rogers (2007-2011) Bell (2011-present)
    Well you can still take a picture of those. Either use the zoom on your camera, or just crop the picture when you take it home to edit it. Thats what I usually do.

13. Gottachase

Gottachase Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 9800 Torch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    I would had there not been a hill in my line of sight lol...I can only see them on my way from the mall to my house. So next time I go to the mall I will bring my camera.

14. TelcomJunkie

TelcomJunkie Bad Handoff Investigator

Wireless Provider(s):
    Big Brother
    "Long Lines" was the name ATT gave to it's old nationwide microwave system. As a whole that system is dead and gone, it's original need was replaced by fiber optics and cheap satellite time. Considering the average path had a capacity of approximately 3000 VF channels, it isn't hard to see why it was replaced with fiber optics that have capacities of in excess of 38000 VF channels, per strand, and that's on the low end.

What you're referring to is still alive and well here in America, but it see's fairly limited deployments, certainly no nationwide network like ATT or Western Union used to have. You primarily see it now going to "remote" communities or locations.

15. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    Ah, yea, sure, fibre optics is cheap and high capacity, and the transmission media of choice now-a-days. High cap MW will always have it's place, but yea, for sure not as the main media for transmission. More niche things, like remote links, or other places where laying fibre isn't practical or cost effective. Didn't know about the AT&T "Long Lines" legacy. Interesting.

16. Gottachase

Gottachase Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 9800 Torch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    well there is a long lines ( or what used to be) tower near my new house in Connecticut but my parents wont drive me there so I have no way to visit the site :(. Maybe soon I will get them to take me up there. Its six minutes from my house by driving and walking there is out of the question because there is a huge hill that is really long...and my mom wont let me cross the busy streets that are on the way.

17. W2NJS

W2NJS New Member

There are two ways to quickly find out data about the remaining AT&T towers. First way is to go to the website AntennaSearch - Search for Cell Towers, Cell Reception, Hidden Antennas and more.. The other way is to go to the American Tower site which you can google. All of these towers have either FCC or American Tower registration numbers, sometimes they have both, but with a little digging you will come up with complete data, including photos, specs, coordinates, etc. on almost any tower site. On antennasearch you just put in the street or road for the tower and you'll get back more data than you can ever use.

One reason that American Tower buys and maintains the old towers is that the towers are moneymakers for them, so in other words it's just pure good business. The proliferation of LMR, cellular and other radio services over the past few years has made these old tower locations very valuable. If you want to install any kind of new radio transmitter it's much less paperwork and red tape if you're just putting an antenna on an existing tower rather than getting all the permissions and studies required these days to put up a completely new tower.

Tom, W2NJS
    Washington DC

18. mframe

mframe Junior Member

My Phone:
    LG G3, LG G2, Mot G4 Play
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TracFone, PagePlus, TMO
    Of course, "long-lines" referred to actual copper cables too, from many years ago. An interesting subject is the AUTOVON network of underground switching centers and cables developed during the Cold War, in case of nuclear attack. There was a site not too far from my home town, which always fascinated me. Here is a link about it.

Chesterfield AT&T Site

This shows the microwave tower at a CT site (perhaps what Gottachase was referring to).

http://www1.shore.net/~mfoster/Cheshire.htm

19. Gottachase

Gottachase Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 9800 Torch
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    No the site that i was reffering to is the Durham site...but i would assume that the Cheshire site is next in line.

20. Jonathan Kramer

Jonathan Kramer Telecom Atty/RF Engr.

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 4s
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless (as of 8/13/08)
    AT&T's use of these very expensive microwave antennas, which are called cornucopia microwave antennas, was because of their excellent rejection of signals coming in from the sides of the antennas. Essentially, most microwave antennas can be overwhelmed by undesired sidelobe signals. The cornucopia antennas are highly resistant to these types of undesired signals.

In 1982 used one of these antennas, laid on it side, as a satellite TV receive only antennas for a cable TV system in Orange County, California. Hard as hell to align; but dammed good performance.

jlk