Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Poor signal quality with 3G

Discussion in 'AT&T Wireless Forum' started by blsemp, Oct 20, 2010.

1. blsemp

blsemp Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    AT&T added 3G to my area several months ago. I had full bars most of the time with 2G. I have been reporting troubles because of the poor signal quality with 3G. I might get half my bars but most of the time I get 2 bars to no bars and calls are dropping. All the towers in my area are 3G. One customer service person made the statement that 3G didn't penetrate as well as 2G. I feel as though one of their antennaes is screwed up. Any ideas.

2. Yankees368

Yankees368 Compulsive Signal Checker

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhones 4S???
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, Sprint 2002-2010, Voicestream 2001-2002
    Odds are that AT&T activated 3G on the 1900 mhz band, as opposed to 2G on the 850 mhz band. It is true that 1900 will not penetrate as well at 850. It is probably an option to force your phone to the old 2G network, and you can see if that is better for you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    AT&T's 3G (WCDMA) is a wideband signal and, all things being equal, penetrates buildings better than 2G (GSM narrowband). My guess might be that the 3G tower is attracting more data users, and as a result, you might be getting pushed to a tower further away.

It might be interesting if you can find an app to run on your phone, or a field test mode, that can show you more detailed info about what cell you are attached to and what the signal strength is.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. blsemp

blsemp Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    AT&T only has the 1900 mhz in our area. I wish they had 850. They have told me to get a microcell but I told them to fix their trouble. I have an old Nokia phone that I put my sim card in and the signal is great.

5. hme83

hme83 Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia E7, E70-2 & 6820
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    AFAIK, at&t generally removes or masks the ability to turn on/off access to the 3G network from their firmware. With the Z750 you can debrand (DaVinci Team) or if it is unlocked and you have another provider's SIM (I believe you may even be able to use an inactive SIM from another provider) you can try inserting it - with some of the SE models, this will allow the menu option for choosing network access to be visible. You might also want to try "My Phone Explorer" (free download) - I believe it has an option to toggle on/off 3G network access.

I don't know if there are similar options for the Pantech Matrix.

6. blsemp

blsemp Senior Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 900
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    I broke down and purchased a microcell. It works great but I have since talked to several AT&T cell users that are ready to leave because of the POOR service in our area. These people had great service on 2G or edge. AT&T tech support refuses to admit that they have any issue and told me that no one else in our area had reported any problems. These people have tech support cases documented. The bottom line is AT&T has an issue but will not admit it and will not be doing anything to resolve it.

7. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    I'll confirm that for the two 3G AT&T branded handsets I have on hand, the Nokia 6555b and the HTC Tilt 8925.

COtech