Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Poor Signal for wireless internet in home with Linksys rounter.

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Day5InJanuary, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Day5InJanuary

Day5InJanuary Junior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple IPhone5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t
    so my room is about 5 feet away from the linksys rounter. my moms laptop get perfect signal, my laptop gets perfect signal, but my dektop is another story. my signal with the desktop is low to very low, and sometimes losses the signal. there are no homes around me bumming of my wireless network. this happends every summer. could it be the weather?

2. Pilot26

Pilot26 New Member

You might want to download a new software Bzeek | Empowering people to connect (invitation code x1234) that upgrades your laptop to also be a free router. Therefore you extend the WiFi connections.

Also, if you take your laptop (or iPhone) near any laptop with this software, you can automatically start surfing, even if the othe laptop is connected to secure router.

It just works!

3. spleck

spleck Tool

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone 5 VZW
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I assume the antenna on the desktop is buried in the back, and that by 5 feet, you mean through walls and floors/ceilings. Make sure the antenna has a good connection and hasn't been damaged. Move the computer away from the wall and adjust to see if you get a better signal.

If you're using a little USB wi-fi adapter, then they usually have poor signal anyways with little to no antenna.

Have you tried changing the channel on the router? You may be getting some interference from a router on the same channel--maybe a neighbor who comes home every summer. It's also possible your air conditioner is emitting some electrical noise. The weather alone shouldn't be affecting your signal.

1 person likes this.