Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

poor cell reception in house

Discussion in 'GENERAL Wireless Discussion' started by Laurie C, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Laurie C

Laurie C New Member

My Phone:
    I phone 5
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    I have cell service with Verizon, a tower about 5 miles away. Our house is in in a lower elevation area of the county, nothing major 20-30 feet or so. No hills or mountains around. I have somewhat good coverage outside my house, we sometimes drop calls but mostly communication is ok outside. I purchased a repeater (850 MHz, this is compatible with Verizon)) with a yagi antennae, I mounted it on the roof on a 15 foot pole but have no difference in indoor reception.
    Is it absolutely critical the antennae is pointed in exactly the direction of the tower? I know the general direction and it is pointed that way but I may be off by30 degrees or so. Also, will trees affect this or is it line of sight? I may be able to raise it another 5-10 feet but that will not raise it above the tree line. Is there any hope for me to make a cell call inside my house?

2. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    I got involved in setting up a cellular yagi antenna signal booster a few years ago on a construction trailer. 10 degrees can make a big difference. Since you have an iPhone, you might need to download an application to see signal strength. On an Android you can go to:
    Settings>About Phone>Status>SIM Status>Signal Strength

You need to rotate the antenna about a half inch and check signal strength

Laurie C likes this.
  3. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Yes yagi have high gain by focusing the gain in one direction. So they are direction sensitive. Try that first before worrying about height. Certainly you want it above any buildings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. RadioRaiders

RadioRaiders RF Black-Belt

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    Wireless Provider(s):
    GSM / WCDMA /LTE
    On the iPhone you can see the signal strength in the OS somewhere (I think?), apps don't have access to that info in iOS. In Android, you can download my app Cellumap to see signal strength. Also on my website, I have a list of cell towers you can see. Just zoom the map to your area then click "Show Towers". Not all are in there, but alot are.

Line-of-sight shouldn't be necessary, but the less objects in the way the better.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...