Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Please help - SIM card

Discussion in 'Western US Wireless Forum' started by Gabriel, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Gabriel

Gabriel TICUS AD MORTEM

My Phone:
    Motorola v551
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    i have a problem, no one has been able to help me.

ok, about a month ago i upgraded my phone to a V551, on cingular, and actually received a new SIM card. everything is good, except for the security code. the manual says it is 000000 (six zeros) as default, and i wanted to change it. well, that is not the security code in my phone. it doesnt take it. i tried 123456, 654321, 111111, my phone number, my social, etc... nothing works.

i called cingular, they have no idea what i was talking about. i actually had to explain to both reps the difference between a SIM PIN and a security code, because they had no idea. i called motorola, same answer: dont know.

so, i decided to sent the phone to motorola to get the security code unlocked (which is what the motorola girl told me to do over the phone), and i took out mi SIM card and put it on the phone i was using before, my nokia 6610.

when i turn the phone on, the phone asks me for a security code, NOT a SIM PIN... what the hell is going on???? if the security code is in on the phone itself (not on the SIM) why is the nokia 6610 asking for it?? and when i try the old SIM in my nokia, it doesnt ask me for anything, which means there has to be some sort of code or block on the SIM!!!!!!!!

do any of you now what's going on???? please help!!! if i send the phone to motorola i cant use the SIM on my nokia, meaning i will be without a phone for at least a week and a half!!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    I don't really know how that works. My understanding of how it is supposed to work is the same as yours. I wonder if you weren't sold a used V551 that somone had already changed the security code from the default 000000? As for why the SIM wouldn't work in the Nokia...I have no idea. Is the old Nokia a Cingular phone or an AT&T phone?

3. Gabriel

Gabriel TICUS AD MORTEM

My Phone:
    Motorola v551
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    know what? the day i bought the phone i checked it, and it was brand new. maybe someone at cingular had showed it to a customer before and changed the security code and forgot about it.

anyway, my older nokia 6610 is factory unlocked. no branding whatsoever, which is why it is so weird that it is asking me for the security code, even though, as far as i know, the security code is only on the phone, not the SIM.

something else that i just found out: i have an even older 3390 from cingular. i popped in the SIM in it, turned it on, and suddenly the phone asked me to send a SIM message... WTF? i said OK, and it was done. then it got to the main screen, and instead of the operator logo being cingular it was USA 38... wtf is that?

man im pissed!!! by any chance, do any of you know who to unlock the security code with codes?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    1. it seems that the v551 security code, 000000, was changed by someone before you received the phone. My Cingular phone (from july) is set to 000000 as the manual states. You'll need to find someone at Cingular to help you (or maybe Moto).

2. The Nokia 6610 seems not entirely sim unlocked. Go to www.unlock.Nokiafree.org and make sure that you use the last, No. 7 code for the master unlock. There are seven levels of unlocking...this is the only thing I can see that would be messed up.

Does the moto unlock code, 1234,work on the v551? Sometimes that is the last 4 digits of your phone number.

5. Fire14

Fire14 Easy,Cheap & Sleazy

My Phone:
    EnV
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    You didn't go into the PUK code did you? if so you have to get that code from Cingular if it didn't damage the SIM.
    If it is the security code, I am not sure if a rep could have done this on a new unopened phone before setting it up, but anything is possible.

6. Gabriel

Gabriel TICUS AD MORTEM

My Phone:
    Motorola v551
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    viewfly, i will give that website a try. my 6610 is factory unlocked, that is how i bought it through the net, but you never know!!!!

oh, and that lock code, 1234, i tried it, it does not work either.

fire14, the phone does not go into the PUK code, which is stramge since i thought you only had about 5 tries. i did get both of my PUK codes from cingular, and purposedly entered wrong codes about 10 times, and nothing, no PUK... it's so weird...

7. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I would try unlocking again, using the # 7 master unlock. These are ways that phones can be locked:

The seven codes are explained and why #7 is the master:

"Note 2: This is what each for the seven codes do:

Lock 1 - MCC+MNC (Network/Country Specific)
    Lock 2 - GID1 Lock (Type of SIM card)
    Lock 3 - GID2 Lock (Type of SIM card)
    Lock 4 - MSIN Lock (Sim Specific)

There are only four locks, however codes 5-7 do the following:

Code 5 - Unlock 1 and 2
    Code 6 - Unlock 1, 2 and 3
    Code 7 - Unlock 1, 2, 3 and 4 (I.E. Master Unlock)

You don't need to worry about this though, just type in Code 7 and all should be well"

If the 1234 doesn't work either,then the phone has been changed by someone else I think. Where did you buy it from?

8. COtech

COtech Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sam. Galaxy SII Skyrocket
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T Mobility
    That's the Mobile Network Code for ATTWS, now part of Cingular. The Nokia 3390 is a GSM 1900 MHz only handset. If you were on GSM 850 MHz, you would see a MNC of USA 41, if you had an older pre-Cingular phone (there weren't any).

I exercise my older PCS only phone as a backup monthly, through a battery discharge--talking and standing by. I wouldn't want to be in a hurry while buying a new phone, looking for a good deal.

COtech

9. Gabriel

Gabriel TICUS AD MORTEM

My Phone:
    Motorola v551
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    i see, so ATT is 1900, and cingular is working now on 850?

anyway, i think i figured out my problem. first, i had forgotten completely that i had locked my 6610 so that no other SIM can be used in it (even if it is from the same provider). its a security lock. you can choose to lock your phone or your memory. i had chosen to lock the phone in case it was stolen. now it has backfired, because i dont remember the lock code!!! damn it!

second, i finally found my motorola code. my bro was being funny and changed it... he says it was kind of like a new-phone prank. i didnt laugh...

anyway, thank you all for your help!! now i have to find the security lock on my nokia... damn it! :D

10. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator

My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 13 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon, AT&T Prepaid
    Well that is pretty funny...not for you...but a funny story nonetheless. Glad everything worked out.

11. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    A good one. A somepoint I have to write down all my security codes. This has happened to me too once. It took awhile to remember all the security codes that I normally use.

Good luck