Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Please Help Me Activation Trouble

Discussion in 'Verizon Wireless Forum' started by goldenspoon, Dec 31, 2008.

1. goldenspoon

goldenspoon New Member

My Phone:
    LG Env2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    I just received my LG Env2 in black which was for Christmas and also will need a phone when traveling this year.

However; the phone will not activate/needs programming. It says on the enclosed sheet of paper to enter in *228 and then push send. I do that; but then it says I am roaming and can only make collect or credit card calls which I do not want to do. And the third step on the sheet of paper is to push 1 but that doesn't do anything because the phone is roaming.

Please help ... what do I do ?

2. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Are you presently out of your home area? It sounds like you are in an area of North Carolina where Verizon is not a native carrier (most likely Alltel is). Once you are in a native Verizon area, you can use the *228 option even if you are not in your home area.

Your best bet is to call Verizon and see what they can do. They should be able to add your phone to your account, but you might have to wait until your back home to do the proper updating via *228.

It sounds like you happen to presently be in one of the few areas Verizon doesn't have native service. It's unfortunate, but it happens. Rest assured, some time after the Alltel purchase goes through, the area you're in won't be roaming territory anymore. Unfortunately this may be a year away, as the network merge will take a while.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. goldenspoon

goldenspoon New Member

My Phone:
    LG Env2
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless
    Hi there ...

Thank you for your reply. I am in my home area ... but it said roaming. The area code is the same though as my home area. And the reason it was purchased and sent to me is because the zip code brought up Verizon and Alltel. Verizon was picked.

I called a customer service rep but the person who answered was not the kindest at all. The person said that it appeared there was some coverage in my area. I then explained that it was roaming and could not activate.

The customer service rep said the same as you to activate in an area that is Verizon native. I told them where I could activate the phone and the person said it had great coverage in that area and to take the phones there to activate them.

I'm a bit nauseous because I don't want to be charged anymore fees just to be able to keep in touch with others. As this is my first time using a mobile phone. Will I be charged for roaming on an unlimited plan ?

Also ... if I activate the phones (as it is a family plan) in the Verizon native area will I then be able to use the phones from my home area ? And if it goes into roaming ... will I be charged ?

4. M in LA

M in LA Mobile 28 Years Plus
    Super Moderator Senior Member

My Phone:
    iPhone 13 Pro Max, XS Max
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon (since 1994)
    Don't worry, you won't be charged roaming. All of Verizon's current plans include roaming with eligible partners. If you are in an area where VZ doesn't have a roaming agreement, your phone simply won't have service (only emergency 911 service). This keeps you from those unexpected roaming charges that used to be a problem years ago.

It sounds like it might be a cell tower issue in your area. I know this sounds silly to do to get your phone activated, but try driving around a major town in your area and see if your phone shows regular service and not roaming. You would then be able to use the *228 option. This is just a suggestion, though.

Good luck. If you have anymore questions, just ask. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. scottb

scottb Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 7 Pro
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile, Visible
    I suggest considering Alltel as your carrier. If Verizon Wireless does not work at your home, and Alltel does, you might be better off with Alltel. It should be a moot point in the near future, but could pose problems until then. You may not be able to use data services (e.g. Get-It-Now apps such as Mobile Email). It depends on the roaming agreement between VZW and Alltel.

6. SmArTeStChIlD421

SmArTeStChIlD421 Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Blackberry 8830
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    i have to say that MobileMike's idea is the best bet.....sometime in the near future Alltel and Verizon will integrate and it won't be considered roaming.....if you already have the phone and are in the contracts and whatever.....your best bet is just try and get them active and don't worry about the roaming

7. mframe

mframe Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 3aXL, Moto G7 Power
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TracFone, PagePlus, TMO, Xfinity, H2O
    There is something else to think about. Goldenspoon said a ZIP code lookup showed both Verizon and Alltel as local carriers. That probably means that one of those networks will be divested. If Verizon keeps the Alltel network (that has a stronger signal at the house), great, but if Verizon keeps its original network, there may not be a good signal there.

Goldenspoon - Try doing a *22800 and *22801, to see if one of those will connect to Verizon.