Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Please Help! Cell Phone Troubles

Discussion in 'Northeastern US Wireless Forum' started by Britdip, Sep 3, 2002.

1. Britdip

Britdip New Member

My parents surprised me in January with a new Voicestream Samsung phone for me to use at college. The problem is, the phone RARELY WORKS! I got NO reception in buildings (including my dorm room!) down in Jersey City, where my school is located. It's gotten to the point where for the past few months no one can get through, period (the phone doesn't work when I'm home in Northeastern NJ, either: Caldwell). Callers are told "Sorry, all circuits are busy" and "This call cannot be completed", etc. The phone is essentially useless. So, yesterday my parents surprised me a again by brining home a new phone for me to use when I move back into school tomorrow: A Verizon Kyocera w/ a pre-paid plan. Not only is this new phone huge, ugly, and over-priced, but the pre-paid plan STINKS! The area code (973), aka the area code where I normally live in and dial the most numbers to, has been used up, so all new phones boguht in the area have 201 area codes. My former cell, the Samsung, weas one of the last to get the 973 area code. Having a 201 area code on the pre-paid and dailing 973s is considered "long-distance" and sending/receiving text messages costs "5 cents" each time. I got the phone yesterday with 100 minutes and have only spoken on it for 9.5 minutes and sent 4 text messages and already I'm down to 42 minutes left: WTH??!

My question for you guys is: Is there any way I can keep the samsung phone and my old 973 phone number but swithc to another plan? I think I read soemthing along those lines here and you guys called it "unlocking" the phone: is this possible?! If not, does anyone have any advice as to what the best service and rate plan deal around here (northern and central NJ) is?!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. dobby10

dobby10 Senior Member

You can only use the samsung phone on Voicestream or Cingular. It sounds like your problem was caused because the past few months Voicestream has been changing their towers around to accomidate for Cingular, who shares their network. There is no way you will be able to keep your number.

3. bobolito

bobolito Diamond Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone SE
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    You are having basically a problem where you cannot get a GSM signal. Also, AT&T is still giving away 973 numbers so you might want to consider them. Cingular is out of the question because you can't get Voicestream's signal anyways. Verizon will give you good coverage but you don't like the plan and the phone. My best recommendation go with a monthly plan on Verizon and change your phone. The fact that you have a 201 number should not matter. It's not long distance to you even though it is 201 area code. Only landline callers may pay a toll to call you. But do you care? Most 973 cellphone numbers are toll calls from landline anyway. Of course, that depends on where the landline caller is located in relation to your cellphone number home city, so it's not based on the area code or where you live. You can also give AT&T a look if you like their phones. Some people find them more attractive than Verizon's.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...