Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Pixel 4 Battery Life

Discussion in 'ANDROID Phones, Tablets and Devices' started by palandri, Dec 11, 2019.

1. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    I keep reading articles on the Pixel 4 battery life and see people posting, "....the 2019 Pixels may or may not last you a full day...". I have no problem with the Pixel 4 battery lasting all day and more.

Something kind of strange I've noticed is when I wake up and unplug my Pixel 4 in the morning, I look through the news and the battery goes down to maybe 98% or 97%, depending on how long I look through the the news. I'll set my Pixel 4 down and maybe pick it up a couple of hours later, and it's back up to 100%. Maybe I have some crazy electromagnetic waves running through my house :LOL:.

2. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    I also just read this:

The final results put the Pixel 4 XL's battery at 7 hours and 43 minutes of screen time and 16 hours of standby. The iPhone 11, on the other hand, manages exactly one hour more at 8 hours and 43 minutes of screen time and the same 16 hours of standby.

3. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    Here's another review I just saw on the Pixel 4:

Cons: terrible battery life, poor third-party app support for Face unlock, Face unlock needs eyes-open fix,

My battery life is fine. My face unlock works great. I have no idea why someone wants their eyes closed when unlocking their phone? Are the IR cameras dangerous to your vision?

4. dmapr

dmapr Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I don't have a problem with battery life on my 4 XL. Third party apps (specifically banking apps) support for face unlock is indeed terrible. There's Bank of America and… well, that's the only one I know of :(

Eyes-open fix is not about unlocking the phone with eyes closed, it's about NOT unlocking if your eyes are closed. Presumably so that the members of your household don't unlock your phone and snoop on you while you're asleep. Currently the face unlock unlocks even if your eyes are closed.

palandri likes this.
  5. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 4
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    I have one small electrical workers credit union application that used the fingerprint scanner. I sent an email to them to add facial recognition. I haven't heard anything yet.

Thanks for the clarification on the eyes open fix. I wasn't reading it right. So I'm guessing facial recognition isn't that secure if it allows scanning with ones eyes closed? or is it just to prevent snooping with a face scan when you are sleeping?

6. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I think it is considered less secure in general if your phone can be unlocked with you unaware.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

palandri likes this.
  7. scottb

scottb Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Galaxy S20
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I found the battery on the XL to be pretty good, not great.

I find the battery on the smaller 4 to be OK, once I turned off 90Hz display and Soli radar. I can make it through a day but would be concerned on a non-normal day where I need some extra.

I base this on not needing to plug my phone in during the day, after unplugging it from the charger in the morning, and not running the battery below about 35%

Got rid of the XL because it's too big for me. The smaller one will probably go too. The Face Unlock seems like a step backwards for my use. I use Outlook for work and I now have to use a PIN to access the app instead of touching the fingerprint sensor. My bank app doesn't support Face Unlock either. Luckily, LastPass does.

I have other issues with using the lockscreen and Face Unlock that make me prefer the fingerprint sensor. Back to my 3a!

palandri and dmapr like this.
  8. dmapr

My Phone:
    Pixel XL
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon Wireless; MTS
    I'll stick with my 4XL for the time being. I agree, the lack of fingerprint sensor is very annoying. I also find it hilarious that fingerprint sensor is still mentioned in the settings (swipe to pull down notifications, something I really liked). But going back to my original Pixel XL seems like it wouldn't be an overall improvement and hopefully my bank will eventually catch up and add face unlock or Google will bring the fingerprint sensor back.

palandri and scottb like this.
  9. scottb

scottb Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Galaxy S20
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The 4 XL is certainly a worthy upgrade over the original Pixel XL. I'm sure you'll enjoy that.

palandri and dmapr like this.