Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Pixel 3a Anyone?

Discussion in 'ANDROID Phones, Tablets and Devices' started by scottb, Jun 2, 2019.

1. scottb

scottb Bronze Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 3a
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    Just picked up a Pixel 3a. I came from a Galaxy S10+ and a Pixel 3 XL before that. Performance is fine, I imagine many wouldn't notice a difference between this and a flagship class phone. This camera seems as good as the regular Pixel and more reliable than the S10+, which takes great pictures only in the best light.

I'm reminded of how nice it is to carry a smaller phone.

palandri and charlyee like this.
  2. palandri

palandri Former Palm Guy

My Phone:
    Pixel 3
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Project Fi
    I've only seen good reviews on the Pixel 3A. Everyone seems to really like it.

I am surprised to hear that about the Galaxy camera. I had a really early Galaxy and unless you were outside in the sun, the pictures were poor at best. I'm surprised they haven't fixed that by now.

3. scottb

My Phone:
    Pixel 3a
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I'm surprised too. In anything but the best lighting conditions Samsung's processing seems to smooth things over too much. It makes everything looks as if it's in beauty mode, losing a lot of detail. I prefer the sharpness and detail of the Pixel 3 camera even if it seems a little dark or underexposed sometimes.

I've owned most of the Pixel phones and have never been impressed by their battery life. It's still early but the the 3a seems a lot better than the other Pixels, presumably due to a more efficient SOC.

palandri likes this.
  4. BC3

BC3 New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung S10 plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Going from the 10+ to the 3a wasn't a hard move? I just got the 10+ and debated the 3a, but wanted the bigger battery, screen, was worried about the battery life as you were. I also prefer the wireless charging, that the 3a didn't have.
    I also saw renderings of the pixel 4 xl and it looked so much like the 10+ and they think the price was going to be the same as the Samsung I didn't want to wait. Yes I know renderings are just that and not what it may end up being.
    I would like to have am unbranded and no bloat wear phone, if they put a bigger battery and wireless charging I may switch, especially now they added band 14 for Firstnet.

5. scottb

My Phone:
    Pixel 3a
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    The first few days have shown the 3a battery life to be almost as good as the S10+, and considerably better than either the Pixel 3 or Pixel 3 XL (I had both). The screen on the 3a is good but no other phone can match the gorgeous screen of the S10+. Wireless charging is nice, but I don't consider it a necessity. I'm always interested in a new Pixel but Google really has to figure out a way to improve battery life or include a larger battery in the flagships. Samsung figured out a way to eliminate the bezels, include a headphone jack, and pack in a 4100 mAh battery. Samsung's One UI is pretty nice but I still prefer no extra apps or bloatware.

6. BC3

BC3 New Member

My Phone:
    Samsung S10 plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Thanks Scottb, I guess I am spoiled by the wireless charging, but am sure for the right other features I could go with a Pixel.

scottb likes this.
  7. mframe

mframe Senior Member

My Phone:
    Pixel 3aXL, Moto G7 Power
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TracFone, PagePlus, TMO, Xfinity, H2O
    I'm happy with the Pixel 3aXL (bigger battery + screen, headphone jack). I got it from Best Buy, when they included a $100 gift card. I'm looking forward to trying out the eSIM, when carriers start supporting it for Androids.

8. scottb

My Phone:
    Pixel 3a
    Wireless Provider(s):
    T-Mobile
    I used the eSIM alongside the micro SIM with Google Fi. It's a nice solution, particularly if you need two numbers. I don't but I was testing out T-Mobile (via Fi), and using my primary service, before switching to T-Mo.