Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Picked up a 6340i...what to do first?

Discussion in 'NOKIA' started by 87horsepower, Feb 4, 2005.

1. 87horsepower

87horsepower New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6010
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    I had been on an AT&T TDMA plan until 4 days ago. I decided to go ahead and take my chances and migrate over to Cingular on a GSM plan. After being with AT&T and Cellular One before that and being under contract everytime I got a new phone, I decided to do it differently. I just paid full price for a 6010. My intention was to get a 6230, but I decided it was way more want than need. The problem is, sometimes I travel to the boonies and need a phone.

After reading about the 6340i, I picked one up on ebay complete with two batteries, a case and several chargers. It does need the new firmware however. What do I need to do first? Unlock it, then send it to Nokia for the flash? Or do I need to put my SIM in there and register the ESN with Cingular first? I am guessing I can use the SIM out of the 6010? I would like to use the 6010 most of the time and be able to use the 6340i on occasion. Is that feasible? I'm lost. Don't beat me up too bad on this. Until two weeks ago I did not even know what the heck the SIM was :browani:

2. engineer2001

engineer2001 New Member

Are you trying to get GAIT service (TDMA and GSM) with the 6340i? If so, I'm afraid you won't unless you have a GAIT plan, and Cingular no longer sells GAIT plans.

If you just want to switch phones, as long as they are both Cingular phones or unlocked, you can just pop your SIM in and go as needed. They say to call and register/switch your IMEI, but I didn't have to do that to get my Nokia 8290 to work with my LG G4010's SIM. Just popped it in and used the Nokia.

3. svanwormer

svanwormer Junior Member

My Phone:
    V3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    If you tell CS that you want to have the 6340i as your primary phone, you shouldstill be able to do that. Tell them that you want GSm/TDMA interoperability added and make sure they enter both your IMEI & ESN on your account. I assume you are refering to needing the newer firmware to be able to get into the NAM programming menu. I don't believe this will help you since you have a GSM account, your phone will be programmed to search for GSM first. If you had a TDMA-GAIT account, you could benefit from the newer firmware since then the phone would search for TDMA first. In this case, you could program a specific TDMA/AMPS SID to use.

4. azcellphonejunkie

azcellphonejunkie The Cell Phone Junkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    ATT, Verizon, Sprint |Prior: Alltel, Nextel
    I also picked up a 6340i on ebay but have relisted it because I cannot get GAIT activated in Arizona. They told me there are other areas of the country where you can use the service, but not here. If you can get them to activate your ESN for the phone on the TDMA network and add the feature for the interoperability, then you should be able to use the TDMA, and AMPS features with the phone. I however was not able to get either one to work...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. 87horsepower

87horsepower New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6010
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular
    Thanks for the info. I guess there is no need to send it off for the firmware update :)

BTW, the plan I am on says it is NATP 450R and in the features it lists "Nation GAIT/GSM" , so I am guessing it is available to my area?

6. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    I think to have the GAIT on your plan, there is a feature that reads something like "GSM-TDMA interoperability" or "GAIT for GSM". I saw it on another post in Howard Forums, but I don't know where that is right now...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. svanwormer

svanwormer Junior Member

My Phone:
    V3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Mine says "GAIT for GSM" but I am on a GAIT plan, not a GSM plan with GSM/TDMA interoperability.

8. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    OK, so that is the verbiage then...When I tried to ask CS to add that to my account, they couldn't because of the area I am in! Oh well...

9. elroy

elroy New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6340i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, Verizon
    My understanding is Cingular will not add GAIT to any account or open a new GAIT account. GAIT is being phased out. Only people that have GAIT are ones that got it months ago. I've had mine for 1 1/2 years now. I'm considering switching to GSM but am afraid my coverage will drop dramatically. :(

10. svanwormer

svanwormer Junior Member

My Phone:
    V3xx
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T
    Why do you want to switch? You are at the GSM price rate, right? Do you want MediaNet or something? You can pick up a cool GSM only phone (that is Cingular branded or unlocked), pop your SIM in and away you go. I can't see myself getting rid of my GAIT plan for a long time. I benefit from it too much.

11. elroy

elroy New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6340i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, Verizon
    I'm considering switching to GSM so that I can get a 2nd phone/line for my wife. Using GSM I can get us both phones along with unlimited phone to phone for about what I pay for my GAIT plan. But I'm afraid of severe loss of coverage with GSM.
    Currently I have one phone and pay $55 + taxes for a REAL nationwide GAIT plan with 500 anytime and 5,000 night and weekend minutes.
    On GSM I can get 2 phones/lines with 450 anytime, 5000 night and weekend, unlimited phone to phone for $60 + taxes.
    But I'm back to the issue of coverage. I drive a big truck throughout the midwest so the coverage is paramount.

12. viewfly

viewfly Mobile RF Advisor

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    I went throught this last November. You already have GAIT? Since last October, Cingular has allowed GAIT on their GSM plans. I switched over to a full GSM family plan, but kept my two GAIT phones and one full GSM phone (3 lines). Then in December, I got a full GSM phone for myself, my wife kept her GAIT, and my child still has her GSM phone. It is currently still this way.

What I am saying, if you already have GAIT, and cingular has not changed the policy since last November again, you can get the new GSM family plan and keep your GAIT phone (it will still use TDMA/GSM/Analog) and get your wife a GSM phone. You need to tell Cingular that you want to keep the GAIT operability on your current phone.

If they changed things, go for the GSM plan and phones, and keep your GAIT phone for 911 calls if you need to. Before you do this, you can drive around your normal routes, place your 6340i in MENU->MESSAGES->scroll up to 'Service Message Center'. Keep it here as you drive around. If it is bold face, you have GSM; if it is dimmed, you are in TDMA/Analog. That may make you feel more comfortable with GSM coverage. It will change as you drive around. One word of caution on this test: once in TDMA, the phone does not go back to GSM unless the signal is lost entirely...so it can be misleading in favor of TDMA. If in doubt, you can restart the phone, and it will go for GSM first.

13. elroy

elroy New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6340i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, Verizon
    Thanks for the info. I tried the GSM coverage test on my 6340i phone, went to MENU> MESSAGES> scrolled up to Service Command Editor [I assume this is what you meant] it seems to be dimmed here at home. I live in a rural area but always get good signal here. I rebooted the phone and now it indicates GSM. I leave for WI and the upper penninsula of MI tonight so I'll try it on my trip. Also I'll contact my local Cingular about the other info you provided.

14. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Yep, Service Command Editor is what I meant (had a senior moment!). The fact that it came up in GSM after reboot at home, gives you an indication on what to look for while traveling: if it shows TDMA, it may really be ok with GSM.

After I switched my phone, I found the GSM to give me better service. I think the overlay is complete with GSM and I have to wonder about what roaming agreements Cingular is still maintaining for the GAIT system anyway. But the upper UP will be interesting to see and hear from you. As I said, for emergencies, the GAIT phone will always work, even without a SIM card and will use analog or TDMA if it needs to.

Let us know how it works out.

15. elroy

elroy New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6340i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, Verizon
    Many thanks to Viewfly. I went to visit my local Cingular agent today and they confirmed the info Viewfly provided above. Since I currently have a GAIT plan they are able to give me a GSM plan with TDMA and analog service utilizing my Nokia 6340i phone. Some places I go to still use analog. This should provide me with the best coverage that can possibly be obtained. Since I have an extra 6340i phone I'll have one for me and one for my wife. All that is left to do is pick an appropriate rate plan. :biggrin:

16. azcellphonejunkie

My Phone:
    iPhone 3GS
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Lucky Duck...I can't get GAIT :(

17. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    elroy,

I'm happy to hear that this worked out for you. Cingular's new policy since last October, allowed me to change to a better GSM plan and keep my GAIT phone on a family plan too.

When the time is right for your travel area, you can switch to a pure GSM phone, and not deal with the 6340i switching on you. But until then, you have the best of both worlds.

I know that AZcellphonejunkie is red with envy :rolleyes:

18. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    Elroy,

Of course you guys (at least your wife now, maybe you in 3 months) will be allowed to get new phones if you wish too. And still keep and use your GAIT phone. Or you can delay that decision and get new phones later. It would be a free pure GSM phone spare.

But double check with your agent about keeping your current GAIT SIM. I have a new 64K SIM; it worked still in my GAIT phone...but with some quirks that I haven't fully understood. My wife kept her 32K GAIT Sim and it works fine in GAIT or GSM only phones.

If your agent is unsure, you may wish to keep your current sim (with or without a new phone) so that it will work properly in your GAIT phone.

Best,

19. elroy

elroy New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6340i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, Verizon
    I did the deed.
    It didn't go quite the way I wanted but it is done. I got my 6340i switched to a GSM plan with the TDMA and analog service. But they wouldn't put my other 6340i on a new contract with a family plan. They said the 6340i could only be used to replace a phone on an existing contract. Huh? She said they have not been able to activate a new acount with a 6340i for nearly a year now. So I had to get my wife a new Nokia 6010 and sign it up with a 2 year contract. I'm holding the 6340i in reserve in case I need a replacement. A note for future reference, they said all the lines on a family plan must have the same area code. So I had to pay to change my old number because I wanted my wife's number to be local and my old number was for another area code for job related reasons. So it cost a little $$ there. Overall I'm quite happy and since I have 2 different phones I can take the new GSM phone on a trip and see exactly how much the coverage varies from the old GAIT phone. CINGULAR ROCKS ! :)

20. elroy

elroy New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6340i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, Verizon
    My Cingular agent told me she could put a 6340i on an existing GSM account to replace an existing phone and give GSM/TDMA service. I would go to a local agent that you trust to be honest and tell them your current phone died and see if they will put the 6340i on that account. I bought a new 6010 but asked if I came back next week and said my 6010 died would you put the 6340i on the account and she said yes. Go figure! :confused:

21. charliegwte

charliegwte New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6340i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, t-MobUS, t-MobDE, Sonofon
    Hello Viewfly,
    Hope you'll have time for a GAIT newbie's wondering. In Mar. migrated wife's AT&T TDMA account to Cingular on a 6340i from EBay. The billing says Nation GAIT/GSM as described elsewhere on this thread. GAIT & 6340i appear to be quite the mystery to Cingular in the Pacific NW. I'm told they never sold GAIT sets here. Apparently Cingular's antecedents [~PacBell?] built only GSM in this area. In May when she leaves this Continent will be able to explore in field reality. Til then I have some wonderings, but hopefully not wanderings please:

1] Will the 6340i's 850GSM and/or GAIT capability improve coverage on a T-MobileUS InterNet Unlimited SIM ? Use in Nokia3650 is primarily SMS messaging, GPRS dial-up network data access and WWWeb browser [traffic checks e.g.] via 'Doris Browser'. When traveling have found coverage in the 'mountain West' to be not surprisingly poor. While wouldn't want to pay for heavy data traffic while roaming, it would be nice to have better SMS and voice coverage.

1a] Does T-Mobile roam to TDMA/AMPS e.g. on WesternWireless ? If not, is it possible to use 6340i via TDMA/AMPS as a 'no-account set' and pay over the air by credit-card ? This has worked with an old Moto AMPS set in Eastern MT for instance.

2] Can you point me to any good Primer material on GAIT please ? Am curious about how carrier can / does use GAIT to allocate between TDMA/AMPS and 850GSM e.g.. Is it a dynamic allocation ?

Thanks so much for your time.
    Charlie G.

22. elroy

elroy New Member

My Phone:
    Nokia 6340i
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular, Verizon
    My understanding is that a GAIT phone on a GSM plan wil simply look for a GSM signal first and if it doesn't find one than it looks for TDMA. If TDMA is unavailable than it looks for analog. If you switch cards between phones your coverage will be limited unless you have the numbers switched also. My 6340i is working well on a GSM plan in the midwest.
    On another note I got my wife a 6010 and the voice quality sucks. My first complaint on a Nokia phone.

23. viewfly

My Phone:
    iPhone XS Space Grey
    Wireless Provider(s):
    AT&T; Tmobile SIM only
    The GAIT phone will do nothing for your T mobile SIM. Tmobile network ONLY uses 1900 Mhz, not 850, nor TDMA, nor AMPS. You will not gain anything with the 6340i. Sorry. It will work on the tmobile 1900 network however, assuming that the 6340i is unlocked from using Cingular only SIMS. This can be done.

GAIT was a transition technology. I think Cingular was right in telling you that it was not poplular or offered in the same way in the West. I remember seeing 6340i phones in CT labelled for 'eastern sales only' or the like. GAIT phones are no longer sold. If you use it for Cingular, it may help you in some rural areas, but in general the GSM coverage is superceding the TDMA cingular coverage.

elroy is right. It is not dynamic. It goes for GSM first, if it connects and you lose the GSM to TDMA, your call is dropped.

24. GoodmanR

GoodmanR Silver Senior Member

My Phone:
    Moto v3 Razr
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Cingular (Voice) + T-Mobile (Blackberry)

1. No it won't do anything for coverage on T-Mobile, right now T-Mobile allows no 850GSM roaming, in the future, they should.

1a. No it's not. Tmobile used to sell a module that would connect to a 6100 series nokia and roam on TDMA. T-Mobile no longer sells them and no longer supports any TDMA/AMPS roaming.

2. It is not a dynamic allocation of spectrum, it is 100% static. They are in fact two separate networks and the carrier allocates spectrum for them separately.