Welcome to Our WirelessAdvisor Community!

You are viewing our forums as a GUEST. Please join us so you can post and view all the pictures.
Registration is easy, fast and FREE!

Phone "Upgrade Fee" for existing users

Discussion in 'AT&T Wireless Forum' started by BradQue, Jul 1, 2012.

1. BradQue

BradQue Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sidekick 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    I am not familiar with ATT's policies but a recent upgrade that my daughter did with ATT raised a question.

She had an iPhone 3 for over 2 years and today upgraded it to an iPhone 4S at our local ATT company store in Woodbridge, VA. Unlike other companies, ATT didn't give her any upgrade credit or discount on the new phone which I suspect may be related to the fact that it was an iPhone.

However, she was also charged a $35 "Upgrade Fee" and told that it was for transferring her number and activating her phone.

She already had the number, completed more than 2 years on her existing ATT contract, and, if I am correct, the "Activation" basically consisted of switching the SIM card from the old to the new phone.

Anyway, was this fee correct? If so, it seems pretty much a rip off compared to my experience with other providers.

Thanks,

Brad

2. charlyee

charlyee Ultimate Insanity
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    iPhone X
    Wireless Provider(s):
    at&t/Airtel/Turkcell
    There isn't any special treatment for the iPhone. If she was eligible for an upgrade, which sounds like she was then she should have got the subsidized price. For the 16gb 4s it is $199, I believe.

The upgrade fee is correct, although I thought it was $36 but if she if she paid full price for the phone, then she shouldn't harve been charged that $35

I would contact AT&T and get it squared away. One or the other is wrong.

Hope that helps.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    1 person likes this.
  3. AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt Big Meanie
    Super Moderator Senior Member

Cell Tower Picture Gallery:
    My Phone:
    Apple iPhone 7 Plus
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Verizon
    You might also ask your daughter if she was advised of the fee. If not, call AT&T and complain and have them remove it.

I think Verizon is the only company that doesn't charge an upgrade fee...or at least they used to be the only one. They might charge one now that AT&T doubled theirs from $18 to $36.

1 person likes this.
  4. ComicalMoodyDan

ComicalMoodyDan Gold Senior Member

My Phone:
    LG Volt
    Wireless Provider(s):
    Sprint
    Verizon now charges a $30 phone upgrade fee. All four of the major carriers have this fee now, I think its crap but you can't really complain much as it's policy on all of the post paid carriers now.

1 person likes this.
  5. BradQue

BradQue Senior Member

My Phone:
    Sidekick 4G
    Wireless Provider(s):
    TMobile
    Thanks for the great information everyone. She was advised of the fee and it actually was $36. My gut reaction to charging a fee to an existing customer who is entering another 2 year contract after completing one is that it's sort of a cheap shot at making more money. I don't recall having to pay such a fee with either Sprint or TMobile.

However, the iPhone is nice, data coverage is good (they call it 4G but it's not LTE, however it's pretty fast enough at 10 mbps download). I am beginning to rethink iPhones myself. Unlike my Samsung Sidekick 4G, Apple keeps all of their products updated when a newer SW version comes out.